Emulation Is the CEMU experience close to the Wii U ?

SwaGoat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Umm,basically what the tittle says,but I'd like to specify on what I mean.I mean more like,how comfortable are the touch controls ? Will you be alright with just a random controller ?

Is buying a Wii U preffered over just playing 11-12 games on this emulator ?

morgoth32

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
With a good CPU (i7 or i5 OC) and a decent GPU your experience will be OK.
The main problem is stuttering wich will happen but you can reduce those if you launch the emulator from a SSD and games in extracted formats.
Another big issue is the emulator cannot read the videos formats (bk2, bik, mp4) and if you didn't already play the game on the console it breaks the immersion.

If you want the best experience play games on their original hardwares.

gohan123

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
there are some smaller puzzles which require motion controls, but propably there is a fix for it. I think 11-12 is already a huge amount of games, you should consider just getting the wiiu.

Xalphenos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want the Wii U experience then get a Wii U. CEMU is still too young to give you the same seamless experience as the real thing. If you don't mind the current limitations of CEMU though the games that work well do look better than the original.

crafty84

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You also need to have the shaders for w/e game you are playing or you will get stuttering regardless.

SwaGoat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
If you want the Wii U experience then get a Wii U. CEMU is still too young to give you the same seamless experience as the real thing. If you don't mind the current limitations of CEMU though the games that work well do look better than the original.
What are those ''limitations'' ?

Xalphenos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are those ''limitations'' ?
Sorry this is going to be a wall of text. But you did ask...

For starters: Compatibility. Check out compat.cemu.info. It's not totally up to date but only 4% of tested games are considered "Perfect" that is to have no issues. Only another 16% is considered "playable" that is you can complete the game but there are issues(Graphical, bugs, audio, possibly occasional crashes.) That's it, 20% of the wii u library is playable on CEMU. The rest either doesn't work or has so many problems you can't complete it.

Next, Controllers: Only the Wii U pad, pro and classic controllers are emulated. No Wiimotes. Doesn't sound too bad but it does hinder some multiplayer.

Then there is the touch controls. You have to use your mouse and press tab on your keyboard to see the touch pad. This isn't too bad and is probably the best solution for emulation but I do find it to break up the flow of the game; especially in colorsplash for instance.

Speed: You do need a pretty decent pc for cemu to run full speed and some games just wont maintain full speed anyway. It was only recently with 1.7.2c that XCX really became playable inside new los angeles. Older releases would dip down to almost half fps at times. That does show that the emulator is getting faster though.

Graphics packs help tremendously but they don't give your machine more fps. They just stop the huge drops from new shaders being created. I never considered shader caching to be a limitation anyway. Maybe it's because I lived through the dolphin days. Also because once you've played a game for about 30 min to an hour the shader caching drops are significantly reduced. In my experience most of the "Complete" shader caches you can download aren't complete either. And there are some reports in the release thread that 1.7.3 is breaking compatibility with previous shader caches.

I'm probably forgetting some stuff I originally wanted to say but I need some breakfast. I guess bottom line is CEMU isn't a replacement for the wii u yet. When it's working well it's great but it's still a long way off from me forgoing the wii u for it.

SwaGoat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Thanks for the quick reply.Also,I kinda messed up the question.I didn't mean like on terms of speed or graphics,I meant more like,as you mentioned,the touch pad controlls,and generally,any control.
So this practicaly answers to my question.But what is the best you can do for games that heavily depend on the touch controls ? (I was interested in playing color splash,if possible,but I'll may have to re-think about it :P )

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night