Is the amiibo fad over?

laudern

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So I'm totally over my amiibo collection. I was online looking for games to buy and came across the stores amiibo collection and the vast majority were reduced by $5 or so dollars and there were a few I didn't have and would have been characters I would have bought for the discounted price back when originally released. But now, meh, I just don't see the value any more (if there ever was value).

Am I the only one who is over the amiibo fad?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't think it's even close to being over. There's still decent sales for them and still people getting into them. They aren't nearly as bad as Skylanders, in that they didn't float the market nearly as much as they did.

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no people still buy them as action figures regardless if they have a nintedo console or not. They can always change the design and poses and release it as a limited edition.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the bubble burst, all thats left is broken dreams and tears
I hope people learn to stop buying into the artificial supply shortage that nintendo created

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm the one that falls into the, "I really want them out of the box and on my shelf" collector. Got lucky on a few ebay auctions and for the price of three new and in box Amiibos, I got 12 pre-owned good condition Amiibos. Not too sure about buying the non-Smash Bros Amiibos yet but I started so I guess this'll be my hobby for a while.

Reactions: Deleted-379826

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It depends on the person, I guess :P

I recently just started collecting Amiibo. My goal is to collect all the Amiibo by the end of the year.

Segtendo

#TeamMarie
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm still working on getting amiibo. Almost have a full Smash line of amiibos, plus some others (Gold Mega Man, Wolf Link, Shovel Knight, Gold and Silver Mario, Mario Maker ones, green Yarn Yoshi that I got with Woolly World, and the Splatoon amiibos).
you know, it's not actually made of gold... doesn't make you feel rich :/
It's still on of the rarest amiibos out there. I thank NowInStock.net for letting me know when they were available when pre-orders went down.
the bubble burst, all thats left is broken dreams and tears
The first year of amiibos in a nutshell.

Last edited by Segtendo,
Reactions: migles

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope so, but I use amiibos as an example of how much DLC scams have infected gaming as a whole, because Nintendo is the most "old-school" of the big 3 console makers. As a 31 year old gamer who remembers what it was like in the late 80s-early 00s, I miss the days when I could buy a game and be confident that I was getting a complete product. Naturally there were crappy games and bugs back then just as there are now but companies had to release games that were more or less complete before online play and having an internet connection became a requirement/the norm. It's certainly a double-edged sword, as online play can be pretty awesome.

In short I wish DLC, microtransactions and the like would disappear but due to the circumstances and general culture of today's industry, that is admittedly an unrealistic wish.

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I hope so, but I use amiibos as an example of how much DLC scams have infected gaming as a whole, because Nintendo is the most "old-school" of the big 3 console makers. As a 31 year old gamer who remembers what it was like in the late 80s-early 00s, I miss the days when I could buy a game and be confident that I was getting a complete product. Naturally there were crappy games and bugs back then just as there are now but companies had to release games that were more or less complete before online play and having an internet connection became a requirement/the norm. It's certainly a double-edged sword, as online play can be pretty awesome.

In short I wish DLC, microtransactions and the like would disappear but due to the circumstances and general culture of today's industry, that is admittedly an unrealistic wish.
I think sometimes it's kind of hard to draw the line between DLC that's just an extension to a game, and DLC that obviously should have been part of the game such that the original was clearly stripped down to profit more from later

GuyInDogSuit

Your friendly neighborhood guy in a dog suit.
Trophies
Website
www.sniffglueworshipsatan.com
XP
Country
United States

Case in point, Street Fightter V.

Varia

Trophies
XP
Country

Great post, and agree wholeheartedly.

I really hope this amiibo fad dies, it's getting annoying that Nintendo integrates these with their games. Sure the content is usually trivial, but I was really pissed after hearing that UFO is going to be locked behind an amiibo wall in Kirby Planet Robobot.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: it won't make it better or worse