Hardware Is the 3DS' NDS-Mode really an NDS Emulator?

jceggbert5

Check out my hack, New Retro Mario Bros.
OP
Trophies
Website
romhaxor.bplaced.net
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
jceggbert5 said:
KingVamp said:
I played (flash cart) Rhythm Heaven with no problem.
unsure.gif
Strange....
Hmm... Did you play it fullscreen or unscaled?

[sorryfordoublepostagain]
Yes, full screen and the game itself looks aright, actually it looks the same. Although I'm not a XL owner.

Not trying to offend or anything,but

Maybe it the rom or you need to play longer(practice).

Or maybe I'm unknowingly adapting to the lag?
laugh.gif
jk

Is it a huge lag?

Maybe I should look at these games harder, I can't really tell the difference. TBH
Well, if you're wondering how long I've played it, well... I have like all but 4 golds and about 15 perfects.

What cart are you using?

The lag is enough to make me fail Rhythm Rally 1 & 2, which I can get a Superb on my Lite and my iXL.

Also, how is the home button popup handled from the 3DS' side? It doesn't emulate sleep mode in the games, but the screens are blackened and the processing is frozen.

YoshiKart

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think the processes freeze when the home button popup is activated; I tried hitting home while saving in Pokemon White, and a while after, when I hit cancel, the game was on its save finished screen.

leeday100196

GBAtemp's Official Infernape™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
CherrySkitty said:
Uh, if you close your 3/DS while a Pokémon game is saving, it won't go into Sleep Mode until it's done xD
Yeah I noticed that too, it's because they can't stop processing the save command unless you force quit (ie: turn off). But it can't hurt to wait about 5 seconds maximum for a game to finish saving.

jceggbert5

OP
Trophies
Website
romhaxor.bplaced.net
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it's a USA 3DS and I have the update with the 'OK Go' video. (1.1_01) or something)

I have my DSOnei up and running now, so I can still test things. Just not DSTwo plugins
tongue.gif

Also, I'll be replacing the DSTwo with an iEvo, and I won't be rebuying Monkey Ball, but will probably be buying LEGO Star Wars (3!) again... If there's a 3DS Flash Cart, I might consider putting Monkey Ball on it, but it's NOT worth the $40...

jceggbert5

OP
Trophies
Website
romhaxor.bplaced.net
XP
Country
United States
Okami Wolfen said:
Someone once told me that the way flash cards work is through emulation.
No/Sortof.

They emulate the cartridge, not the system.

The 3DS seems to emulate the DS system more than 'downgrading' itself to the DS' specs, similar to what the DSi seems to do.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
jceggbert5 said:
Okami Wolfen said:
Someone once told me that the way flash cards work is through emulation.
No/Sortof.

They emulate the cartridge, not the system.

The 3DS seems to emulate the DS system more than 'downgrading' itself to the DS' specs, similar to what the DSi seems to do.

Very much like how past generation systems were able to play their prior generation games. Either the unit had the hardware, and/or the unit's hardware was set up to match the environment of the prior hardware as best as it could.

TyRaNtM

I did some projects..
Trophies
Website
www.power-ups.net
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I also think that 3DS is emulating DS rather than downgrading to be a DS.
If you check another Nintendo's consoles in the past with backward compatibility, they used hardware emulation:
- GBA games in DS: GBA games runs in DS like a GBA. You can only play with the buttons that a GBA have.
- GC games in Wii: GC games runs in Wii like a GC. You can only play with the buttons that the GC have (and only with the same GC controller, not Wiimote).

What have in common both examples? In hardware backward compatibility is IMPOSSIBLE to access to new hardware things like buttons with older games.
- In DS, you can't use Y and X buttons.
- In Wii, you can't use any Wii controller or additional Wii hardware. You can't even access to home button and go back to menu. You must press manually Power button to exit the game.

And.. What do you have in 3DS with DS games?:
- You CAN use Home button! (so, you can exit the games and go back to the menu when you want without power off the 3DS).
- You can even use Circle Pad as D-Pad.

The buttons thing is the proof that 3DS is emulating via software like any emulator or at least is using half software and half hardware emulation.
But the thing is how 3DS games are in DS, is very different than before.
If DS games were hardware emulated like before, Home and Circle Pad button cannot be used.

Reactions: 1 person

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, there is absolutely no reason why a hardware emulation couldn't access new hardware features. It would be trivial to 'link' controls... all you would need to do is modify the 'emulated' system's BIOS.

The simple fact is that the 3DS is not powerful enough to emulate the DS in the traditional sense of the word... What is going on in DS mode is virtualization. The 3DS is basically running a lite version of it's own OS while the rest of the hardware goes into a compatibility mode to run the DS code natively instead of through any sort of interpreter.

Think of it like this... My computer (and most computer made today) have processors capable of virtualization. If you run windows, you can create a virtual computer of just about any ability (as far as your hardware allows) with only having to save some hardware for windows to keep running. That virtual machine can't tell it's a virtual machine, as far as it can tell it's the only OS running and on a system with specs you decide (again up to the limit of your hardware).

Just like on the computer, you can set exactly what parameters you have to share and you can link certain functions to previous ones if you choose. Also just like the computer, the virtual system runs in it's own isolated bubble and can be closed independently of the actual hardware.

This isn't the same as emulation because you aren't translating any functions, you are running them natively as if they were a real machine... Also unlike emulation, the two systems have to run on the same type of hardware... You can't virtual machine PPC linux on a Windows PC.

(edit) Hope that is followable and not too ranty... I haven't gotten any sleep yet and it's already 10am!

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
koji2009 said:
You can't virtual machine PPC linux on a Windows PC.
Sure you can.
Windows NT4 runs on a PPC arch.
You mean You can't virtualise a PPC Linux version on an x86 processor.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are there any VM's for NT4 PPC?

If you are going to be a stickler for details involving an OS that hasn't been supported in 10 years, I guess I can rephrase that to you can't virtual machine a PPC linux on an x86/x64 based windows pc.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
koji2009 said:

If you are going to be a stickler for details involving an OS that hasn't been supported in 10 years, I guess I can rephrase that to you can't virtual machine a PPC linux on an x86/x64 based windows pc.
Normally I wouldn't be a fag about it, but it's an important distinction.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nollog said:
koji2009 said:

Normally I wouldn't be a fag about it, but it's an important distinction.

Since you obviously knew what I was getting at you could have, you know, made the distinction yourself when you went to correct me
wink.gif

popoffka

Trophies
Website
popoffka.ru
XP
Country
koji2009 said:
you can't virtual machine a PPC linux on an x86/x64 based windows pc.
GTFO. Please, at least make some research before claiming anything.
It is possible to emulate PPC architecture on x86. How would we have a Wii emulator otherwise?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1