Hacking is SX pro legal in the united states

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Title says it all. i am a little reluctant on ordering on in case of legal prosecution. Is it illegal to have one if i am making backups of games i already own?

Making backups of media is legal under the DMCA, the SX itself is a grey area, you won't get arrested for getting one.

leerpsp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope your good if you order one! I never got arrested for any modchip or flash card I ordered and the same go's for every other person in the usa. there is a chance that if your order is coming from china that customs can take it but that is really unlikely and almost never happens (only happened to one person i know of).
But order from one of there trusted sellers that ship from the usa, That is what i did.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes as the device breaks the DMCA by circumventing copy protection.
Now is anyone going to actually bother suing you? nope, probably like 0.01% chance of that happening, even getting the device confiscated at customs is very unlikely

DeoNaught

I'm here to steal memes and break dreams
Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
You are not going to be prosecuted for purchasing SX producs. There is nothing illegal about them, they only brake Nintendo's TOS.

If you own the game you make a backup of and the original copy (cart) becomes unplayable you are legally allowed to use it.

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/appellate-courts/F2/964/965/341457/
ASlong as you don't sell your physical version.

and it doesn't have to be broken, to use it. I backed mine up during the 3ds days, so I wouldn't have to carry around all my carts ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
If flashcarts and modchips were legal, they'd be sold in stores.
They are absolutely NOT legal in any country the recognizes the DMCA.

Still, customs has bigger fish to fry than R4s so they usually don't look too hard for them. Usually.

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
I don't think they're illegal, but they can enable illegal activity. You wouldn't see flashcarts or similar devices in stores because enabling piracy would cut into their profit margins.

jimmyj

Official founder of altariaism. Copyright jimmyj
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Still, customs has bigger fish to fry than R4s so they usually don't look too hard for them. Usually.
Boi r4 are sold in Italy in a few shops.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Getting arrested for having a flashcard/modchip, wow I've heard it all now! good job my house is not in America I might end up getting the death sentence. Well Microsoft will certainly be giving evidence against me in court!

Last edited by Reecey,

Techjunky90

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Completely wrong, no truth what so ever to what you say. Let me guess, you're one of those people that think Kodi is illegal too

nastys

ナースティス
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Title says it all. i am a little reluctant on ordering on in case of legal prosecution. Is it illegal to have one if i am making backups of games i already own?
Yep. https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/1201
No person shall manufacture, import, offer to the public, provide, or otherwise traffic in any technology, product, service, device, component, or part thereof, that—
(A)
is primarily designed or produced for the purpose of circumventing protection afforded by a technological measure that effectively protects a right of a copyright owner under this title in a work or a portion thereof;
(B)
has only limited commercially significant purpose or use other than to circumvent protection afforded by a technological measure that effectively protects a right of a copyright owner under this title in a work or a portion thereof; or
(C)
is marketed by that person or another acting in concert with that person with that person’s knowledge for use in circumventing protection afforded by a technological measure that effectively protects a right of a copyright owner under this title in a work or a portion thereof.
Therefore both SX Pro and OS are illegal in the US. However buying one for yourself should be legal, as long as you don't give it to anyone.

Boi r4 are sold in Italy in a few shops.
If the GdF knew about it, they would probably be customers themselves lel

Last edited by nastys,

jimmyj

Official founder of altariaism. Copyright jimmyj
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
tbh i think they're not sold in shops because since it breaks Nintendo's eula nintendo may refuse to supply the shops with their product. Meaning that the only place that you'd go look for videogames is a game shop, so if they also suddenly start selling r4s and stuff Nintendo may not want to supply them anymore and thus going out of business.

Reactions: coppertj and nastys

smilodon

Trophies
XP
Country
France

Why would a shop ever sell a device that can allow you to play all the games for free? From a financial standpoint, this would be the pinacle of stupidity...

Reactions: nastys

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: hello everyone