Hacking Is Supercard DSTwo overkill for DS Lite?

stickydoorknob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, this is sad to say but I just bought my first ever Nintendo DS Lite from a friend of mine and decided to do some research on flashcarts to buy for it since it came with no games. Since I never owned a DS Lite before, I did really little research and decided to jump on the DSTwo after hearing praise from many people. I purchased the Supercard DSTwo last night from RealHotStuff.com last night and kind of have buyer's remorse after realizng that maybe the supercard is a bit overkill and I probably could of settled with a cheapo R4 card for my DS Lite. Is the Supercard DSTwo completely unnecessary and should I just cancel it and get a R4 card instead?

moerik

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, if you were looking for just DS games, and NES through emulators then the R4 will do fine, and if 2GB of storage space is not a concern.
But keep in mind, the SCDS2 can also play GBA and SNES as well as play AVI games/files through its internal components (CPU/RAM), it can also use Micro-SD cards sized at 16GB or more.

stickydoorknob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, if you were looking for just DS games, and NES through emulators then the R4 will do fine, and if 2GB of storage space is not a concern.
But keep in mind, the SCDS2 can also play GBA and SNES as well as play AVI games/files through its internal components (CPU/RAM), it can also use Micro-SD cards sized at 16GB or more.

Thanks. I heard that the Supercard DSTwo drains quite a bit of battery from the Nintendo DS while using it though. Is it true and is it a significant amount of battery drain?

Luigi2012SM64DS

G-old member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Thanks. I heard that the Supercard DSTwo drains quite a bit of battery from the Nintendo DS while using it though. Is it true and is it a significant amount of battery drain?
not much unless you use the cpus

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
Also if you should decide on purhasing a DSi or DSiXL at a later date, then you're already sorted with a flashcart.

OSpencerO

Trophies
From Nashville, Tennessee In Knoxville, Tennessee
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have been collecting Nintendo DS flash carts since the M3 Perfect slot 2 carts came out.
I also have all 3 of the carts that are considered to be the best in todays world. "DSTWO, Acekard 2i 3DS & R4i Gold 3DS"
In my opinion the R4i Gold 3DS using the Wood kernel is the best but it isn't only the best it is the lowest priced too.

http://www.r4ids.cn
The Wood kernel by YWG "Yellow Wood Goblin" is the best kernel for any flash cart that has ever been made.
I also think you should look into getting an EZ-Flash 3in1 Expansion Pack to go along with the R4i Gold 3DS since you have a DS Lite.

Spencer

:yaynds:

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Acekard 2i:
Is cheap and very good.
Have akaio(wich is commonly updated).
Works on DSi and 3DS.
Supports SDHC
Supports Firmware Updates

I bought mine for $13
If you want the best buy DSTwo
If you want something cheap but still very good, buy an Acekard 2i

ChaosAngel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a Acekard 2 before for my DS Lite, but I really wanted to emulate GBA games and pretty much cover all the bases up to the point for portables (GB - DS)

stickydoorknob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking about getting acekard 2i, but since I live in the US and want to have faster shipping time, I kind of limited myself to buying from US sellers. That being said, the cheapest acekard I found sold in the US is 18-21 dollars while the Supercard DSTwo is $39 plus free shipping. So I guess I'll splurge a little and buy the Supercard DSTwo.

kikuo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no wonder dstwo was the best card,but from my own opinion,r4i gold 3ds or ak2i are more better for a new user,easy to use,price cheaper and good reputation too.Anyway,it's up to yourself. =)

Redhorse

Warehouse 13 Curator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Although I have a DS2i and swear by them I have it because I run, GBA, NES, SNES and DS games.
There is another alternative...

The sc DS1i, which is cheaper. The sc DS1i mini would be fine too. The difference between the DS1i and the DS1i Mini is one comes with a USB dongle that does the upgrade, therefor bypassing the need for an older Ds to upgrade with. and is about half the price of the DS2i with the same dependability (without the GBA emu)

I personally have 1 DS2i, 1 DS1i (with dongle works fantastic) and now just buy the DS1i mini for friends.. The Mini is the exact same as the DS1i just no dongle, all other options identical. They are built well, all updates come from 1 location and one release team, not various posers..

I have never had to wait more than a few hours for an update (after N does thier update) and be working again. The DS2i and DS1i are the 1st cards to get updates every single time I can recall within the past few years. Do research on past events. Check N's update release and compare to SC firmware update-date and you will see same dates.. Proof is in the dates.

In the end, you do get what you pay for.

Enjoy

SyFyTy

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had a original R4 w/wood, an acekard 2i, and currently a SCDSTWO. They all feel the same on the NDS side of things, but the DSTWO accels in emulation if you're big on gba games. That's usually the major deciding factor on whether you need a dstwo or not. There's also the ability to use a real time menu during nds games that only the supercard can do (it can edit cheats mid-game, save states, etc).

I don't know, I think I'd keep it. You'd probably end up buying it at a later date anyway.

stickydoorknob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to say thank you all for helping me out today. I've read and posted on many sites such as reddit, yahoo answers, and a few nintendo forums about details on using flash carts and was bashed, downvoted, and shunned by many people immediately without any knowledge shed on my questions. You guys helped me a lot today!

Themanhunt

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Good value and good features: Acekard 2i
Great features and unique, best on market but expensive: Supercard DSTWO

A good alternative for good value and good features would be the R4i Gold 3DS - it is very similar to the Acekard 2i but can be had for a cheaper price.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl: