Is Smash 2018 a port, or a new game?

ogpp.png

Is Smash 2018 a port, or a new game?

Yesterday we had a whole slew of new games revealed on Nintendo's latest Direct, but the title that stood out as the presentation ended, was Super Smash Bros.

One thing Nintendo conveniently forgot to mention or hint at in any way; is the game a port of the WiiU Smash, following the trend of a lot of the current AAA Switch library? Or is it an entirely new Smash, just for Switch? Or maybe it's a mix of the 2, a DX version?

28685955_10156210133009438_7998471808106341361_n-jpg.117022

We've already had a ton of theories in the Super Smash Brothers announce thread - but here, we would like you to cast a vote!

photo_2018-03-08_23-22-06.jpg

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Same game, a coupe extra characters and stages, and an adventure mode. They just forgot to add DX at the end of the title.
New Super Smash Bros 64 DX and Knuckles (why did I post this.)

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I fixed it
All I'm sayin' (lol) is he better not be able to create galaxies in Sma5h. Broken af, pls nerf

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

New Super Smash Bros 64 DX and Knuckles (why did I post this.)
Now with cancer emotes. "u do not no de waie" (kill me now)

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it started as a port, at its very core it is a port of the Wii U version with the added features exclusive to the 3DS version, but then it evolved from there and has taken on a new life of its own. Not only do I think a lot of things have been added, but I think they've also tweaked things already built within the Wii U version, with the obvious example of making Link modeled after his BOTW version instead of Twilight Princess. This isn't gonna just be some DX enhanced port, this is a port that got away from itself, bringing back obvious things like the Ice Climbers, but going further, perhaps bringing back the ability for certain fighters to transform, or maybe they've brought back a full on adventure mode and other new modes, then of course there will be new fighters and stages. Plus I think they'll really make an effort to fix the UI and make it more obvious and intuitive to navigate.

Cuz honestly I just don't see the logic in creating this new game from the ground up, rebuilding nearly 60 fighter models in addition to the new ones seems like a significant waste of time, when those Wii U models are already great, and I'm sure would be much simpler to just clean them up, same goes for the physics, make some tweaks to what they have, but no need to create an entirely new Smash physics engine for the Switch, when the bulk of the work was done and works great.

Point is, I think we'll ultimately be able to consider what we get as a brand new Smash Bros game, but at its very core, of what it is and what it started as will indeed be a port of the Wii U version.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah if it was a DX we'd have probably seen gameplay footage of them in it, almost confirmed by the pics shown he----*looks at 2nd pic in the OP* HOLY FUCK Luigi's Mansion is 17 years old?!? Christ I feel old.....

Reactions: T-hug and Kioku

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bringing back obvious things like the Ice Climbers, but going further, perhaps bringing back the ability for certain fighters to transform, or maybe they've brought back a full on adventure mode and other new modes, then of course there will be new fighters and stages.

They can have my 60 dollars if they just do these things. Seriously. Samus transformation pls

Hyborix3

Gabi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hatsune Miku for Smang

I'm thinking it's a new game, but the assets they might be using is the WiiU version. Who knows

Vieela

GBATemp's official thinker™
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
IMO, it's definetly a new game. Not only logo sounds different, but the new characters. I think that, if it was only a port, they'd use the same old logo, only adding a "for Switch" in the end. Plus, i doubt a lot Nintendo would keep an "old" game like Sm4sh (it's only 4 years old or so, but it can KINDA be considered old) on a console like Switch, which Nintendo probably considers as one of the biggest steps of their business in quite a lot of time. Surely they'd like to make something fresh and new.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They can have my 60 dollars if they just do these things. Seriously. Samus transformation pls

I hope they do bring back transformations, but I hope that they map the transformation to a taunt or something (and don't make it nearly as tough to pull of as it was for Samus in Brawl) instead now that they've given Zelda and Sheik some actual B-Down attacks.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, I really want to see this mode: Rotation Smash

The idea is simple, based on your final battle in Smash Tour, where each one of your stock was a fighter you had acquired during the game. In Rotation Smash, you choose how much stock you're fighting with, and you get to choose a fighter for each stock. You could choose the same fighter every time if you wanted, or a different one for every stock, or alternate between the same 2 or 3 fighters, whatever you choose. I think this is a great idea and something they already gave us a taste of with how Smash Tour would end.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Considering how quick this came into (a year of Switch lifetime) I suspect that it could be a DX port of Smash 4.

But I could be wrong, and maybe they were working on it very early.

Marco_Buns

Barely in Europe
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
It's pretty hard to tell with the info we have. But I don't really care, I only want Smash on the Switch already.

RedoLane

Supreme Punmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
It should be a new game, because the logo is designed differently(with the sliced lines)
Edit: added logos for comparison.

smash-bros-switch.jpg
supersmashbros_fornintendo3dsandwiiulogo28nosubtitles29.png

Last edited by RedoLane,

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering how quick this came into (a year of Switch lifetime) I suspect that it could be a DX port of Smash 4.

But I could be wrong, and maybe they were working on it very early.
While it's not solidly confirm, Sakurai did state he's been working on this silently, day to day. It could be that he's been working on this since they started R&D on the Switch (or at least when they had development tools available for it. It's a 1st party title, so he probably had early access to whatever he needed to get started).

Reactions: VinsCool

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
People claiming that it's a new game altogether just because of the BotW Link...
You poor naive creatures of hype. XD

Are you forgetting they added new characters for Mario Kart 8 DX, Pokken DX and also for Hyrule Warriors DE?
And they added BotW Link to Hyrule Warriors too, is Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition a new game just because they added BotW Link?

They could very well just have ported the Wii U version and added a few new characters to the mix to make it nor such a shameless port, as what they did with previous DX ports.
The fact that both BotW Link and Splatoon characters were added doesn't mean specifically that it is an entirely new game.
Hell, BotW Link might even just be a new skin xD
But being Nintendo it would be better if they add him as a separate character.

Also, the point about the Copyright goes completely null when you check out Mario Kart 8 Deluxe backcover:
616663_back.jpg
Check above the serial number, it clearly says ©2017 and not ©2015-2017.

You guys REALLY need to ease up on the hype just because they show a couple new characters.
Every port of a previous Nintendo IP made from the Wii U to the Switch has added a couple characters at least.

Don't get your hopes up.

Why didn't they show gameplay then?
That's easy, marketing strategy.
In each Direct people spam the chat endlessly claiming for Smash for the Switch, and what better way to create hype than to just tease it and let people speculate. Creates more clicks and news about it thanks to the speculations, which also widens the amount of people that will get to know about the product.

Don't get me wrong, if it ends up being a new game altogether, good for you all, but seeing how little time there has been since Sm4sh on Wii U/3DS and the Switch release, we are talking perhaps 2-3 years tops, and a Smash game development usually goes from 5 years and up.
Just don't get your hopes up as much, that's all.

I personally don't give a shit about Smash, but I can see why the hype is all about.

Last edited by ShadowOne333,

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While it's not solidly confirm, Sakurai did state he's been working on this silently, day to day. It could be that he's been working on this since they started R&D on the Switch (or at least when they had development tools available for it. It's a 1st party title, so he probably had early access to whatever he needed to get started).

Not long after Smash Wii U was released, people located a job posting for Smash Bros 6 (the assumption being that 3DS and Wii U collectively made the 4th and 5th entries and are not simply both the 4th entry). It's possible that they've been working on this game since late 2014 or 2015.

Reactions: Deathscreton

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: