Hacking Is sleep mode+Start+Select+X supposed to work on cartridges other than ones with ntrboot?

lAkdaOpeKA

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So, I ordered a flashcart in order to install B9S on my unmodded New 3DS, but I got curious and tried doing the sleep mode+start+select+X trick with both a retail DS cartridge and a Gateway blue card, but interestingly enough, neither of them work, in fact the 3DS just boots up in sleep mode and, after removing the magnet, the cartridge doesn't even show up until I remove and reinsert it (note that both cartridges work as they're supposed to under normal circumstances).
Is this supposed to be how it goes?

Last edited by lAkdaOpeKA,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It may not be literally wrong but it's certainly misleading - it tries to read the DS card, fails because the rom is not a valid 3DS kernel, the hardware-level encryption is different from commercial game cards anyway, so it skips it :)

---

also, the page ends with "[if developer unitinfo is forced] amiibos will not work" - well, retail amiibos will not work!

Last edited by Ryccardo,

lAkdaOpeKA

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It may not be literally wrong but it's certainly misleading - it tries to read the DS card, fails because the rom is not a valid 3DS kernel, the hardware-level encryption is different from commercial game cards anyway, so it skips it :)
But how does that affect my retail cart too?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Oh, I thought you were referring to the kernel on the Gateway Blue. Now I understand
Yeah, what's usually called a flashcard firmware is what is installed directly on the card and mainly results in the rom that the flashcard appears as - or in the case of ntrboot it appears as a 3DS kernel, but a flashcard kernel is what matters for the game selector and compatibility, and is loaded from the microSD every time!

The original definitions before ntrboot (and even before the 3DS) were already not super intuitive :D

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"ntrboot" is just a name for the process where the 3DS boots a FIRM from a DS cart instead of the 3DS itself. An ntrboot cart is one that is flashed to work with this.

By definition, any cart that worked with ntrboot is an ntrboot cart. Regular games and most flashcarts by default are not ntrboot carts. They do not have properly signed (or sighaxed) 3DS FIRMs, so the 3DS doesn't try to boot off of it. But yes, that key combination will make the cartridge slot appear empty on the home screen anyway, until you eject the cart and put it back in (or reboot the 3DS).

Reactions: lAkdaOpeKA

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn