Is Sky3DS+ currently the best flashcart for New 3DS XL?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by King Mustard, Mar 27, 2016.

1. King Mustard
    OP

King Mustard Member

Newcomer
    Nov 26, 2013
    I'm in the UK and I am considering buying a New Nintendo 3DS XL and a flashcart so I can play ROMs from a memory card.

According to this table from GBAtemp, the following are compatible with the console:
    • QQ3DS (up to 9.9.0-26, released July 2015)
    • K3DS (up to 9.9.0-26, released July 2015)
    • R5 (up to 9.7.0-25, released April 2015)
    • Sky3DS+ (up to 10.3.0-28, released November 2015)
    Even though the latest firmware is 10.7.0-32 (released March 2016), is the Sky3DS+ the best card for the New Nintendo 3DS XL at the moment?

If so, how do I downgrade the 3DS XL back to 10.3.0.28.

Last edited by King Mustard, Mar 27, 2016
  2. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    I would just use CFW instead of a flashcart. If all you want to do is just play game rom dumps, then the sky3DS+ is the only flashcart to not use any console exploits and works on 10.7 even

King Mustard likes this.
  3. King Mustard
    OP

King Mustard Member

Newcomer
    Nov 26, 2013
    I'm not sure how custom firmware works.

Will CFW allow me to carry around a dozen or more games (not a dozen or more cartridges) at a time?

4. azublazer

azublazer GBAtemp Regular

Feb 3, 2015
    United States
    Yes and the downgrade in order to install cfw works with any firmware out now, so any system you pick up is exploitable. You can install unsigned cias right to your system, as many as your sd card can hold.

King Mustard likes this.
  5. King Mustard
    OP

King Mustard Member

Newcomer
    Nov 26, 2013
    Which type of cart would I need with memory card-support, in order to work with CFW? I presume it's a "dumb" card, unlike a cart such as the Sky3DS+ cart.

6. azublazer

Feb 3, 2015
    United States
    No, you just use your system's SD or micro SD card. Once you install the games, I believe it's just like you installed an eshop game as it's available on your home menu. You don't need any kind of game card at all.

King Mustard likes this.
  7. bunny_gg

bunny_gg Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 20, 2016
    Switzerland
    for pure flashcard, it is.
    It keeps you away from most annoying thing about console itself and makes you concentrate on games.

8. azublazer

Feb 3, 2015
    United States
    Following up, if you just want something simple to throw games on and not worrying about constant firmware workarounds, homebrew, exploits, etc. then I recommend just getting the Sky3ds. I have one and it's pretty simple, throw roms onto the card and play. No need to worry about spoofing firmwares, emunand, patches, etc.

9. King Mustard
    OP

King Mustard Member

Newcomer
    Nov 26, 2013
    I wasn't even aware it has a microSD card slot :P

The last Nintendo handheld I had was the DS with an R4 flashcart, back in 2007 :P

So basically, I buy the console, flash the custom firmware onto it and it will read ROMs dumped onto a microSD card?

That'd be nice, saves me £75 on the Sky3DS+ flashcart!

It's a shame the console only supports microSD cards up to 32 GB in size.

Last edited by King Mustard, Mar 27, 2016
  10. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    the roms will be in .cia format and need to be installed similar to a game from the eshop
    not true i use a 128 gb in my o3dsxl you just need to format it to fat32

King Mustard likes this.
  11. azublazer

Feb 3, 2015
    United States
    Well, you have to install each CIA (game file) to the system with a program called FBI. It's not as simple as dumping roms to your card, but it's easy with a guide. And yes, you'll save money as installing homebrew and downgrading is free.

Also, you can use larger micro sd's than 32gb, but you have to format it as Fat32 beforehand. I think it can go up to 128GB. https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-use-a-64gb-micro-sdxc-in-your-sdhc-compliant-flash-cart.335912/

King Mustard likes this.
  12. wormdood

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    one guy on gbatemp uses 2 256 gb sd cards and a few members have 200 gb sd cards

King Mustard likes this.
  13. azublazer

Feb 3, 2015
    United States
    TIL

14. wormdood

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    forgive my ignorance . . . but your shorthand eludes me? (what you talkin' about willis?)

15. mgrev

mgrev Music Addict, Video Game Fanatic

GBAtemp Patron
    mgrev is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 13, 2015
    Norway
    Under Tomato Hentai's stairs
    qq3ds k3ds and r5 is all litterally the same thing as the old version of sky3ds, the non plus one. the only thing that is different is the sticker.

the sky3ds+ is the best flashcard, but getting a 3ds flashcard is generally a bad idea, as you can downgrade and install a custom firmware completely free

King Mustard likes this.
  16. azublazer

Feb 3, 2015
    United States
    Today I Learned.

17. wormdood

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    as did i . . . lol . . . thanks

18. milerwan

milerwan Seasoned technician

Dec 21, 2013
    France
    • QQ3DS = Sky3DS V2 + sticker QQ3DS
    • K3DS = Sky3DS V2 + K3DS
    • R5 = Sky3DS V2 + sticker R5
    Sky3DS+ is compatible with new game protection so it is the best linker available now for console with v9.3 and above.

If you downgrade your console, you have brick risks, don't forget it and make an hardmod and dump your SysNAND before downgrade sequence.

19. frosty5689

frosty5689 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 30, 2016
    IMHO Sky3DS is more annoying to use than CIAs. Especially if you have a lot of games on it. Pressing left/right button to hopefully rotate to the correct game is a royal pain in the ass. I come from owning a blue button Sky3DS to running CFW when 10.3 downgrade became viable. Now I just use the blue button Sky3DS for Cubic Ninja.