Hacking Is rxTools nightly the recommended version of rxTools?

Francesca

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
I vaguely remember reading somewhere on these forums that my old version of rxTools (2.6 iirc) was more reliable or something like that, but nowadays I keep hearing about the Nightly build being preferred.

More specifically, I would like to know which one would be best suitable for me if I want to set up coldboot and hack my games.

Cheers!

D

Deleted User

It depends. Some builds are better than others, for example, some early builds may be better for earlier firmwares.

I personally use the nightly build because it boots you straight into emunand when you enter rxtools. (you can hold L while entering to bring up the rxtools menu.)

Francesca

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
It depends. Some builds are better than others, for example, some early builds may be better for earlier firmwares.

I personally use the nightly build because it boots you straight into emunand when you enter rxtools. (you can hold L while entering to bring up the rxtools menu.)

It can only do that on firmware 9.0-9.2, right? Because I'm still on 4.5 sysnand right now.

D

Deleted User

It can only do that on firmware 9.0-9.2, right? Because I'm still on 4.5 sysnand right now.
You can make an emunand on 4.5, and I'm guessing that the nightly builds are compatible with 4.5. But if it's not, use earlier rxtools builds.

Francesca

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
You can make an emunand on 4.5, and I'm guessing that the nightly builds are compatible with 4.5. But if it's not, use earlier rxtools builds.

Yes, I already have an emunand.

Any idea which nightly build is preferred? I'm not sure what the link between sysnand and rxTools versions is; haven't read anything about that yet.

D

Deleted User

Any idea which nightly build is preferred? I'm not sure what the link between sysnand and rxTools versions is; haven't read anything about that yet.
I would go ahead and use rxtools 3.0 alpha first. That worked completely fine for me when I was on 6.x.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

i use the 9-28 from this link RxTools Nightlies by @WhoAmI? but a lot of people like the 10-2 (also in the link)

Last edited by wormdood,
Reactions: Deleted-236924

Jaitsu

Yet Another GBATemp Furry
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently using the latest nightly (a08cfdd/15-12-05) and it's been working great for me, though for some reason when I first set it up I wasn't having so much luck. I might've just been putting the /firm directory in the wrong place (it belongs inside the rxTools directory alongside /sys, etc). It boots FAST, and fairly reliably. (now if only menuhax was that reliable)

D

Deleted-236924

I'm currently using the latest nightly (a08cfdd/15-12-05) and it's been working great for me, though for some reason when I first set it up I wasn't having so much luck. I might've just been putting the /firm directory in the wrong place (it belongs inside the rxTools directory alongside /sys, etc). It boots FAST, and fairly reliably. (now if only menuhax was that reliable)
I have found that menuhax becomes more reliable when you have 2.1 ropbin payload instead of 2.5

Jaitsu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have found that menuhax becomes more reliable when you have 2.1 ropbin payload instead of 2.5

I was wondering about that; it did seem more reliable before I updated... hm. Does 2.1 support splash images/is there a way to use a 2.1 ropbin with 2.5?

Edit: Er, wait. 2.5? The latest release is 2.0, or are we talking about something different here? I'm a little clueless about Menuhax's inner workings as of yet.

Edit edit: ...ohh, the *hax payload. I getcha. Still not quite clear on how to get a 2.1 ropbin set up.

Last edited by Jaitsu,
D

Deleted-236924

If you have Old 3DS 9.2U I got the ropbin payload for 2.1
If you have something else like N3DS or a different region, or 9.0/9.1 then you'll have to install themehax 1.2/1.3 from the offline installer, get the menuhax_ropbinpayload.bin from that (rename it), then reinstall menuhax 2.0
Take your ropbin payload you got when you installed 1.2 or 1.3, rename it to the same name as the payload that showed up when you installed menuhax 2.0, and you're golden.

Attachments

• ropbinpayload_menuhax_USA12288_old3ds.zip
    12.2 KB · Views: 224

Jaitsu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have Old 3DS 9.2U I got the ropbin payload for 2.1
If you have something else like N3DS or a different region, or 9.0/9.1 then you'll have to install themehax 1.2/1.3 from the offline installer, get the menuhax_ropbinpayload.bin from that (rename it), then reinstall menuhax 2.0
Take your ropbin payload you got when you installed 1.2 or 1.3, rename it to the same name as the payload that showed up when you installed menuhax 2.0, and you're golden.

I have the most confusing setup. I have something somewhere between 9.0.0 and 9.2.0, courtesy of some half-baked sysupdater pack from That ISO Site that was evidently missing cias for the 9.2 homemenu and CVer. So I probably need a 9.0.0 ropbin (to go with the 9.0 homemenu), but that explanation should be enough for me to figure it out. Thanks!

D

Deleted-236924

themehax installer 1.2/1.3 will autodetect which payload it needs for your firmware... I think?
So it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out.

If you've got some kinda weird frankenstein firmware though then there's a possibility themehax installer might not read the right firmware and feed you the wrong payload but if menuhax 2.0 installer worked fine this one -should- too.

How's your menuhax 2.0 *hax 2.5 payload named?

Last edited by ,

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have the most confusing setup. I have something somewhere between 9.0.0 and 9.2.0, courtesy of some half-baked sysupdater pack from That ISO Site that was evidently missing cias for the 9.2 homemenu and CVer. So I probably need a 9.0.0 ropbin (to go with the 9.0 homemenu), but that explanation should be enough for me to figure it out. Thanks!
Jesus, why haven't you tried to update again with another set of update files?

Running a Franken-firmware is begging to have your 3DS bricked.

Jaitsu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jesus, why haven't you tried to update again with another set of update files?

Running a Franken-firmware is begging to have your 3DS bricked.
Eh, it hasn't caused me enough trouble to worry about it, and again - in case of emergency I have NAND dumps and moderate soldering skills ready to do a hard-mod if I have to. I used the pack I did because it includes patched/removed TWL/AGB_FIRM, whitelist and mset files. I was asking around earlier about the plausibility of just updating the two missing cias (9.2 homemenu and CVer) and I'll probably end up doing that.

themehax installer 1.2/1.3 will autodetect which payload it needs for your firmware... I think?
So it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out.

If you've got some kinda weird frankenstein firmware though then there's a possibility themehax installer might not read the right firmware and feed you the wrong payload but if menuhax 2.0 installer worked fine this one -should- too.

How's your menuhax 2.0 *hax 2.5 payload named?

My payload's named ropbinpayload_menuhax_USA11272_old3ds.bin. It works, just not 100% of the time; sometimes it hangs on the yellow screen. I'd love to have a more stable version, but it's not the end of the world - for some reason the old (1.0/1.2) Themehax versions don't seem to run properly for me anymore; they show text for a split second, then go all garbled. I suspect incompatibilities with using *hax 2.5 to run them when they were build on 2.1; I know I've had them working before (on the same frankenfirmware setup).

Last edited by Jaitsu,
D

Deleted-236924

Eh, it hasn't caused me enough trouble to worry about it, and again - in case of emergency I have NAND dumps and moderate soldering skills ready to do a hard-mod if I have to. I used the pack I did because it includes patched/removed TWL/AGB_FIRM, whitelist and mset files. I was asking around earlier about the plausibility of just updating the two missing cias (9.2 homemenu and CVer) and I'll probably end up doing that.

My payload's named ropbinpayload_menuhax_USA11272_old3ds.bin. It works, just not 100% of the time; sometimes it hangs on the yellow screen. I'd love to have a more stable version, but it's not the end of the world - for some reason the old (1.0/1.2) Themehax versions don't seem to run properly for me anymore; they show text for a split second, then go all garbled. I suspect incompatibilities with using *hax 2.5 to run them when they were build on 2.1; I know I've had them working before (on the same frankenfirmware setup).
Once you replace the payload, you aren't running anything of *hax 2.5 anymore.

Anyway 9.0 payloads are identical to 9.1 payloads. Think you'd be able to make a recording or something or what happens when you try running themehax 1.2/1.3, that you installed via the offline themehax 1.2/1.3 installers? (Either should work, because they both give you the same ropbin payload in the end and you uninstall it after you got the payload anyway. All you're really interested in is the ropbin payload for *hax 2.1)

Otherwise honestly get the full proper 9.2 update pack instead of the modified update pack, nothing to lose from it really. You will be on a clean 9.2 install and then my payload that I linked -should- work.
I wouldn't update "just the missing .cias", because honestly you don't know exactly which ones might be missing. Better to do a full update with the actual 9.2 pack, that way you know you aren't missing anything and you know you have all the proper system titles for 9.2
Then if you want, afterwards you can go back and install bluecardfix to rollback the whitelist, and downgrade sysnand system settings back to 4.x or 6.x if you care about mset entry point. But honestly should just keep the 9.x one anyway since you'll be using menuhax, and if menuhax ever stops working you have browserhax.
AGB_FIRM you don't need to have modified so you can have the clean one from the full update pack, rxTools auto-patches it on the fly when you run GBA games since a certain nightly (I use 9/28 nightly and it works.) Not sure about TWL_FIRM but every DS/i mode thing I throw at it works and I used full 9.2 update pack.

You could try deleting all the payloads from the otherapp payload directory in themehax_installer apart from the 9.0/9.1/9.2 ones, and the N3DS ones. You'll never need any of them.

Then make a copy of your 9.0/9.1 payload in that directory which are POST5_U_11272_8203.bin, rename it to POST5_U_12288_8203.bin and put it in place of the 9.2 payload. That way, you know that even if themehax installer recognizes your 3DS as 9.2 somehow then it will load a 9.0/9.1 payload anyway since you replaced them. :P

Last edited by ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1