Is ripping Wii U games legal?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Emulation & CEMU' started by Ledbylight, May 24, 2017.

1. Ledbylight
    OP

Ledbylight Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 24, 2017
    United States
  2. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Definitely a grey area, as per the DMCA, you can "back up" your own media (like DVDs, PC games, etc), so it's really hard to say for sure. There's little to no risk, if the title ticket doesn't install properly, it just won't install. There's little no risk of bricking.

Ledbylight likes this.
  3. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    depends on the country. in the states, it's limited the backup of music (other media was intentionally not mentioned), which, you're right, leaves other media in the "the courts haven't decided yet" grey area.

original poster, morally, there's arguments to bs made for and against. personally i don't see much of a problem.

softmodding is more legally sound, but still slightly grey area. morally you're fine though.

and unless you're sharing backups with other folks, you'll never get in trouble for it, legally. not unless you get in trouvle for somethinf else and they're wanting to add on as many charges as they can find...but at the point you have a lot of other things to be worrying about. :P

as far as bricking, follow the guide and you'll be fine. bricking is possible if you mess up, so just be sure to read through it before starting.

Last edited by osaka35, May 24, 2017
    Ledbylight likes this.
  4. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I personally don't see anything wrong with backing up games you already legally own, the biggest reason is because I hate to pay for another copy of a game whose disc is either damaged or lost :P

Ledbylight and osaka35 like this.
  5. Ledbylight
    OP

Ledbylight Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 24, 2017
    United States
    Ah thanks! Was wanting a bit of a clearer answer.