Country
United States

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitely a grey area, as per the DMCA, you can "back up" your own media (like DVDs, PC games, etc), so it's really hard to say for sure. There's little to no risk, if the title ticket doesn't install properly, it just won't install. There's little no risk of bricking.

Reactions: Ledbylight

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitely a grey area, as per the DMCA, you can "back up" your own media (like DVDs, PC games, etc), so it's really hard to say for sure. There's little to no risk, if the title ticket doesn't install properly, it just won't install. There's little no risk of bricking.
depends on the country. in the states, it's limited the backup of music (other media was intentionally not mentioned), which, you're right, leaves other media in the "the courts haven't decided yet" grey area.

Is it legal to rip/dump my own Wii U games and play them on CEMU? I haven't been able to find a clear answer about this online. And is it legal to "softmod" the Wii U?

Also, is there any chance my Wii U could be bricked?

original poster, morally, there's arguments to bs made for and against. personally i don't see much of a problem.

softmodding is more legally sound, but still slightly grey area. morally you're fine though.

and unless you're sharing backups with other folks, you'll never get in trouble for it, legally. not unless you get in trouvle for somethinf else and they're wanting to add on as many charges as they can find...but at the point you have a lot of other things to be worrying about. :P

as far as bricking, follow the guide and you'll be fine. bricking is possible if you mess up, so just be sure to read through it before starting.

Last edited by osaka35,
Reactions: Ledbylight

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
depends on the country. in the states, it's limited the backup of music (other media was intentionally not mentioned), which, you're right, leaves other media in the "the courts haven't decided yet" grey area.

original poster, morally, there's arguments to bs made for and against. personally i don't see much of a problem.

and unless you're sharing with other folks, you'll never get in trouble for it, legally. not unless you get in trouvle for somethinf else and they're wanting to add on as many charges as they can find...but at the point you have a lot of other things to be worrying about. :P

I personally don't see anything wrong with backing up games you already legally own, the biggest reason is because I hate to pay for another copy of a game whose disc is either damaged or lost :P

LionHeart130060

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo owns the rights to the game, and says "No touchy with my trademark and ownership of my games I made and copyrighted to muah. But you may play them.. on my console that I made for you to buy from me. You may not emulate them. I made a console to play my games, so no 3rd party knock off's of my stuff either, and no hacking! I don't want my stuff being tampered with, so no modding either. I don't like it! And no decompiling, reverse engineering (making ROM files), or anything else that requires such unethical conduct of my product! Your rights as our loyal subjects as consumers is limited to using our merchandise the way we intended. I don't care if you AREN'T violating my rights as owner of the products: NO TOUCHY!" - Paraphrased on behalf of Nintendo, without their consent. freedom of speech, so suck it Nintendo Corp.

Put simply, yes: everything we are doing in modding and emulation of any kind is illegal, minus the emulator, even extracting the BIOS (according to Nintendo) but the Judge's rules otherwise in court, so screw Nintendo and their micromanaging dictatorship. No one will find out, beyond 99.99% if you mod your console and never go online, but your conscience will be afflicted, because it is the opposite of what God wants for us; "By doing good you will silence the talk of ignorant and foolish people." That being said, it's up to you. I personally have extracted my BIOS from my [owned] ps2 and play Japanese and US PS2 discs on my laptop, and I have a legal right to do so, in which case my conscience is clear. ROMS however are illegal to download or distribute, and in regards to earlier talk the DMCA has statements about decompiling that it may only be used for archiving, meaning record keeping, not "using" to play your games. These are the true, legal proceedings in the US. I don't care what anyone says about "moral soundness." They are basing their words off of their own feelings on the matter, and it's stupid of them to do. Your conscience will be afflicted because it is a compass given you from God. Be blessed,

- Eric

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it legal to rip/dump my own Wii U games and play them on CEMU? I haven't been able to find a clear answer about this online. And is it legal to "softmod" the Wii U? I am planning on using this guide... https://digiex.net/threads/easy-nintendo-wii-u-homebrew-channel-hack-guide-5-3-2-5-4-5-5-1.14675/
Also, is there any chance my Wii U could be bricked? And lastly, what are the Wii U "common keys" for CEMU? Are decrypting the Wii U dumps legal? Thanks so much!
Its always been a grey area but never been illegal

CORE

3:16
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As long as you aint selling like they did back in the day at markets / bootsales / stalls etc the good old days PS1/DC/VCDs/DVDs.

It is a grey area to expect peeps to rebuy what they already own regarding Digital Roms etc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte