Is restoring a sysNAND backup with Gateway perfectly safe?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Blueie, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Blueie
    OP

Blueie GBAtemp Regular

Apr 30, 2013
    Argentina
    I'm considering formatting my sysNAND to unlink it from emuNAND, but I would like to have the option of re-linking them in the future in case the need for it arises. So I was wondering if it would be safe to use GW to restore a sysNAND backup I made myself? Are there any reports of issues or bricks?

Thank you!

2. toto621

toto621 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 19, 2015
    Belgium
    Done it a couple of times already on Old and New 3DS, never had any problem with it but, like ALL SysNAND manipulation, it can be dangerous, there is NO method 100% safe.

retrospect and Blueie like this.
  3. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    Nothing is "perfectly safe", but I'm unaware of anyone bricking their system doing it.

Blueie likes this.
  4. Blueie
    OP

Blueie GBAtemp Regular

Apr 30, 2013
    Argentina
    Well, there are no reports of any bugs with the sysNAND backup and restore features, are there? If the backup is always a 1:1 dump and the restore feature always correctly copies back every single byte and it never hangs or crashes during the process, I see no reason why there should be any risks (provided there is no user error).

toto621 likes this.
  5. blindseer

blindseer Past Generation Gamer

Jan 17, 2015
    United States
    Earth
    I have done multiple sysNAND restores on the O3DS, and so far 1 sysNAND restore on my N3DSXL, no problems on any of them, just make sure you either have a fullish charge or are plugged in so you don't have to worry bout losing power during the restore.

6. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    If the process stops midway you will probably brick. So plug it into the AC outlet and don't be so funny to take out the SD while restoring the backup.

Blueie likes this.
  7. billyme

billyme Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 6, 2014
    can someone explain to me how to backup my sysnand and how to restore it if needed? also i want to ask if i unlink my emunand from sysnand and after that i format emunand will be linked back?

8. Garou

Garou GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 13, 2015
    open gateway menu while holding L button. there should be Backup NAND and Restore NAND option
    no. if you have unlinked your emunand by formatting emunand, the only way to get it linked is by creating new emunand or restore emunand backup before it was formatted

9. Blueie
    OP

Blueie GBAtemp Regular

Apr 30, 2013
    Argentina
    Thank you for your responses and help! Glad to hear that there have been no reports of bricks.