Is reading,listening & patience gone in the time we live ?

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

More a little "serious" thema:

Reading in the Internet,here in this great forum,looking around in this great world we live and......

I can see more and more people who "cannot" read (i think they can,they where sure in school etc.).
They have no patience everything must solve/occurred/getting/taken in the same fraction of a second....
They can´t listen to what is saying to him (i´m sure that most of the people are not quite deaf from one second to another)...
And have again no patience....no matter what you say or try to explain or telling...

Very,very strange in the time we live.:unsure:

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
As always, it all depends on the person.

There are a lot of impatient people, for several reasons. Some are just born that way, some have grown up impatient due to the instant gratification of being handed everything on a silver platter.
Now when everything is a Google query away, games are easily downloadable, online stores are quick and easy... people seem to become even more impatient.

Personally, I enjoy slowing down, reading, writing long letters. I don't need to rush.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would say quite the opposite for a lot of people -- today I watched a couple of hour long interviews/discussions from sources much enjoyed by the people of today, and those would be considered on the short side as such things regularly go up to 3 hours.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Nova6677

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would say that reading isn't really going anywhere anytime soon. It is after all the only method of information transfer other than speaking. Reading is definitely more useful though because you can copy and mass produce it. Also, repeating a speech may cause you to make mistakes; written text will not make mistakes when re-read.

Listening probably also isn't going anywhere as a base skill or sense. However listening to what someone is saying and thoroughly comprehending it may be disappearing.

Patience is probably diminishing, but with enough discipline someone can still be patient. It just requires something to be patient for.

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah...can we get a TL;DR? :creep:

I mean.....we kind of did this to ourselves. I definitely could explain it to you, but I think I'd do better finding a way to get paid while teaching you + lurkers where everything went wrong.

Honestly, the only thing that has an impact on these issues is love. For the past two dates I've been on, I don't look at my phone, unless I need to check something, like places to get real Carvel ice cream (it's fucking south Joizy, 200 miles past regular Jerzy).

TL;DR
when you've got something someone wants, they're going to listen, pay attention, and read all of your cues.

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
We live in a time where instant gratification is too much of a thing.
And it won't get better any time soon.

We live in a truly shitty timeline.

THIS!

Though I don't totally agree it's a shitty timeline. I mean, on one hand, we have more knowledge at our fingertips then we could possibly learn in one lifetime. However, instant gratification is a real thing and I have seen it first hand and experienced it myself a bit. What I've done to correct this in myself is just to sit back from the internet for a few days. I do this once a year for a week or so or whenever I feel that bad habit forming again.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

More a little "serious" thema:

Reading in the Internet,here in this great forum,looking around in this great world we live and......

I can see more and more people who "cannot" read (i think they can,they where sure in school etc.).
They have no patience everything must solve/occurred/getting/taken in the same fraction of a second....
They can´t listen to what is saying to him (i´m sure that most of the people are not quite deaf from one second to another)...
And have again no patience....no matter what you say or try to explain or telling...

Very,very strange in the time we live.:unsure:
Probably was far worse in the past.

We tend to glorify the past and believe what we remember as being the way things were. That white picket fence, 2 1/2 kids, small home, perfect marriage, that wasn't the norm. That was the "we want this to be the norm" put out by some government agency. Just advertising how lovely it'd be. But people remember it as if it was this "golden age" of how things were. It wasn't. It never was. There's always room for improvement.

Given that, I'd have to say there never was a golden age of reading, patience, or various other virtues we hold high. More likely, we just have the tools be to be far more aware of everyone who lack reading comprehension, lack patience, or whatever other basic virtues we wish people had. Positive part is you can't solve a problem if you don't know there is a problem.

But as far as solving it, I'd imagine primary and high school education is where you're going to be able to affect the most change. Our current system is old and unmanageable. Too slow to incorporate new research, too political to be effective, and too underfunded when you've got the right people in the right places.

Not sure if this is the kind of response you were looking for X'D

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria

I like it how opinions differ.

Yes,it´s easier to say "formerly it was better...."
All times has is pros and contras.

One point shall remains:

It leads to : acquaintances TOGEThER.
and the thing with "patience" has very often to do with......

Yesterday,11:32h (here in Europe/Austra):

Monday til Friday everyday the same procedure:
Kindergarten/preschool has "shift change" means kids they don´t eat (lunch/stay the afternoon) where fetched by their stressed moms/dads (EVERYONE with his/her own car nobody comes by foot,altough the had a "few" meters to the Preschool....),nobody is able to come a little earlier to avoid this "chaos" etc.etc.

Right in the middle of this madness drives an very old woman.(i know her,she is around 80) She wants to go to the local butcher.
An very busy man (i estimate him aged 35-40)wants to jump out of his car (he is NOT looking of other cars/people who may passing by neither look in his mirrors) in the same moment as she passed him with her car,an accident could avidied by jump back in his car.

Wow,rarely i saw so an angry man.:blink:
And then comes the "crown" of the scene:
He shouts in front of children/parents etc. "Fuck off you lousy old Fart" (i write it in german too: "Geh schei**sen du vertrottelter alter Trampel).

:wacko::wacko::wacko:

Man,man what a world......

And guess what,yes he only has to wait ONLY 2 seconds.....nothing has possibly happend.:)

Last edited by Alexander1970,
Reactions: Deleted User

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Yes, it's actually true what I can tell from a lot of younger people. They don't have the patience. Everything must be fast and rapid.
It's totally bonkers, like sit down and enjoy the plot. Sometimes it takes a while for it to pick up (Look at you Mortal Engines), and then it gets going. I mostly hear "It's boring!" It's been like 10 minutes, come on!

Reactions: Alexander1970

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Wall of text.

;)
-

To add to the topic, I still remember a time, when boredom was a thing. I grew up without a TV, and the Internet didn't become a thing in most peoples life until I was maybe 15 years old.

I've read hundreds of books a year, no joking. I read books in one sitting. I read books until I was bored, then I continued reading them because I was bored. :)

Everything like that has gone away with the advent of the internet. I read much less now - at least in book form, my media consumption has become more varied. I find lectures more valuable to learn new concepts, because they tend to be more concise and to the point. I like reading all kinds of different news source just for the fun of it, and thanks to certain google search terms, and scripts to throw any mp4 video onto any screen in my house - I'm literary five seconds away from watching every movie I ever could watch - which is why I watch much fewer of them than I did in the days, when DVDs where the hot item.

Back then also "niches" actually where a thing. Hong Kong cinema, the arthouse movement, ... It was fun to follow those. And you picked one and stuck to it for a while. Nowadays - for most people everything is just "netflix". They produced 700 'originals' last year. Its trash. Almost all of it. Of course not if you are going by youtube standards, because by that everything else becomes gold automatically.

I've got scripts to auto parse every online article in writing and make an epub out of it, then send it to an IoT device, which will give me Alaxa level qualitiy text to speech of it. Also takes just a second, and I can listen to that - using wireless headphones - moving around the house, if I want to.

Other people bought Alexas to listen to podcasts in the most low effort way possible.

And low effort is the one thing thats still universally valued as good, by the entire consumer industry (whats most easiest way to...).

People listen to certain podcasts, just because they want familiarity. I've done that as well, but I already find it boring - because no podcaster can produce decent quality content consitently over an entire year.

And if people want fake familiarity and fake relationships, they usually watch Twitch anyhow. There is an entire industry capturing young folks getting out of school, playing virtual friends for them.

Those are my thoughts on the matter.

Self constraint sometimes works for me, I I do read the occational book as a whole - but for me its not the norm anymore.

Do I think, that it was somehow "better" before, when we didn't all have those capabilties? Oddly I think so as well yes. But it might just be glorifying the past. As one in their thirties does. :)

Last edited by notimp,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's more about the interest each person has. People have patience if it interest them more, that's common for anything. That's why people are always trying to find ways to spark a interest in the things they wish to share. Most likely why things are as short as it is, maybe cause they couldn't make it interesting. So they make it short and easier to digest. But it shows that people are willing to listen about anything regardless of how long it could take if it's interesting to them.

The fact could be people are selfish. People value their time, something that can't be restored if used carelessly. More often people will care more about what will they have to gain or benefit from when using it or other valuable resources that keeps them around longer. Of course I could think too deep about this. But I guess I could have said something like this sooner. Is like how people stop socializing with someone soon after they find it uninteresting or even less benefit. More often people are always trying to remain relevant by keeping their interest. Perhaps it is considered bad that people aren't patient or interested in every thing that comes their way, even if it would help them sometime. But that's their choice. :unsure:

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.