is r4 for me and other newb ?'s

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by flipside7, Nov 3, 2007.

Nov 3, 2007
  1. flipside7
    OP

Newcomer flipside7 Member

United States
    hi, i am basically in the dark when it comes to anything other than putting a game in my ds, and turning it on.

the reviews on the r4 seem to show it a fairly simple, and that would be the best for me. i would be using it for music and video primarily, but prob would end up using roms. I am looking for ease of use, and ease of file transfer.

also if someone could tell me what is involved in using a suggested flash setup; am i going to have to buy software for transferring music, or to get it to some elusive format, or are they just going to be drag and drop(the flash unit either converts, or already supports most formats). please try your best to fill me in here, and to generalize the process.

i pretty much know how to get the r4 up and running, but have no clue how to get music and video on my ds, but at least i know how to put a cd in my pc, and mount and use it.

2. War

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    The R4 is extremely easy to use!

It's basically just drag and drop. Music as well. For music though, to be more organized, I would make a folder in your Micro SD card named "Music". Then, just stick in all the MP3's you want, and play them on Moonshell. Moonshell is an MP3 player that comes already installed with your R4. It will be the second icon in your R4 menu. (There's 3 icons; the first is sort of a file browser to play ROMs and things like that, the second opens Moonshell, and the third is the Slot 2 flasher, but you will most probably not be using that)

3. Banger

Member Banger Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?

United States
    It is very easy, I got mine the other day and I was up and ready in minutes. My suggestion to you though is have everything ready before you order/get it, that way you can also be up and ready in very little time at all.

4. flipside7
    OP

United States
    hey thanks a lot warcueid, very nice to know that the basic functions of the r4 are user friendly, and thanks for the faaaast response.

so the r4 seems to be the one 4 me!

5. DarkAura

Member DarkAura Offline

Canada
    R4 is easy to set up, and I hate to say this, is very easy for noobs to use. I enjoy it though, for the good features that it has, and it's easy to get skins for it. Go for the R4! [​IMG]

6. retiredjerk

Member retiredjerk GBAtemp Regular

yeah i got mine at modchimps.com . free shipping. was 34.99 yesterday. maybe the price will go back down.

7. flipside7
    OP

United States
    everything up and ready, by this you mean what? just have files and such how i want them, and my ds charged?

8. flipside7
    OP

United States
    wordup

9. War

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Yeah, that's pretty much what he means.

The only thing is though... well, you said you were gonna use it mainly for music and VIDEO... Maybe I'm just retarded, but I couldn't even figure out how to get videos in. :X It was such a pain...you have to get them, then make them into .dpg's... the program usually has a lot of errors, it only takes certain videos...I just gave up on it.

10. DarkAura

Member DarkAura Offline

Canada
    I don't know about Batch, but dpgtools13 needs to have the file in .avi format, then you run it through the encoder. But then if there's no audio, it won't work, cuz dpgs need... sound. It's not really that complicated. What convertor are you using? And you can also download pre-converted videos, I just don't know where from.

11. flipside7
    OP

United States
    yeah, that is what i am trying to avoid, is it the same across the flash device board? or are ther any that handle video simply? heh, i know that someone who knows what theyre doing probably can put whatever vids they want on r4, it's prob just user ability and knowledge

12. Banger

United States
    Its pretty simple to get video on the DS, I will write a quick guide in a few minutes here to help out.

13. nexus7412369

Member nexus7412369 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    nevemind. Dumb question.

14. flipside7
    OP

United States
    converter is going to be the one that you guys suggest, whatever is on my pc, i don't really use anyway, so i will get whatever.

15. nexus7412369

Member nexus7412369 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Get them from gbatmw.net. They have DPG's, comics, etc.

16. flipside7
    OP

United States
    holy shoot you guys are all over it, i'll strap in, and take what i can!!

17. Banger

United States
    Things needed:
    AviSynth 2.5
    BatchDPG
    Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1

Install all 3 if you have not already. After you are done with that start BatchDPG and select your media file and your output directory.
    Make sure all your video settings are correct, they should be. When your done setting it up press "Add" which is on the lower left hand side of the program.
    You will notice after you press "Add" it appears in your Media section, after you have everything you want to convert in there press run and if all goes well it should start the converting.

If anything is missing you needs to be clarified let me know as I just through that together in a minute.

18. iritegood

Member iritegood GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    If you want to convert video files use the SUPER converter. I'll try to find a link so wait a minute.
    It's really great and easy to use, pick your input file select the format to output to, press go, and voila, you're done.

19. iritegood

Member iritegood GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Here it is:
    http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

Try it, GREAT program. It's so much simpler to use then BatchDPG. And, it works for many other files than DPG, so it's quite useful. And best of all - it's freeware (the only way it could get better is if it went open source).

A better link: (because the site is poorly designed and the link is hard to find)

http://www.erightsoft.info/GetFile.php?SUPERsetup.exe

The only problem is that the program automatically outputs to the drive where the OS is installed (the C:\ Drive). So make sure you have space.

20. Banger

United States
    For a 700 meg file expect something around the range of 200 megs for the output file with all options default. For a 70 meg expect something around the lines of 10 megs.