Hacking Is PSP 3000 good for classic gaming emus?

Thraka

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

Don't really know much about the PSP system, never been into it. I found someone selling a 3000 and I'll ask him about what FW it is running but I was curious if anyone could help figure out if I would be interested or not.

I'm looking for something that runs SNES/Genesis/NES that kind of stuff. How does the screen look? Any blurring when movement happens? I have a GCW-Zero that I use for this stuff and it works well but it recently developed hardware problems after a year or two of use (no drops or anything) so I'm just assuming they're poorly made and I'm not that interested in them anymore..

phoenix_wrong

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been using my PSP-2000 to emulate SNES, NES, GBA, and GBC games and it runs really smoothly. I also play N64 but with no sound, and it can have some slowdowns. I hear PSP-3000 is better at emulating N64 too.

The only time I've run into trouble was sprite issues and sound issues with SNES emulation. The cutscenes in super metroid sprites look funny when animated I don't really know how to explain it but its hardly noticeable. I hear there are sound issues with the SNES emulator but I keep mine at a low volume and I've never played an actual SNES before so I'm not sure. I couldn't tell you about Genesis but I think I have seen youtube videos of smooth emulation of that.

The screen has a pretty high pixel density so in their original ratio, SNES games are slightly smaller than the screen to give you an idea, but I scale it up to fit the screen, but not stretched. And it looks great. the emulators for psp have a lot of different options which i like.

Also when I play gba games i stretch it to fit the whole screen and it still looks great to be honest.

I stopped using my PSP a few years ago and installed CFW barely three months ago only to be surprised to how smoothly it runs, and I've had my PSP since 2007, so I can tell you it is a very good machine that won't run down (except for the battery).

Hope this helps & feel free to ask any questions

Reactions: cots

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I stopped using my PSP a few years ago and installed CFW barely three months ago only to be surprised to how smoothly it runs, and I've had my PSP since 2007, so I can tell you it is a very good machine that won't run down (except for the battery).

No crap! I'm on my 3rd battery (PSP1000)

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PSP Brite is about the best budget handheld you can get for emulation. NES, SNES (make sure to grab the newest version over on Wololo), PS1, Genesis, GG/SMS, GB, GBA, and a few others you should be able to get running on there to a very playable degree, most of them are almost perfect. GBA emulation isn't perfect, you'll probably have to use two different forks for different games, but very enjoyable once set up.

The Brite doesn't have ghosting issues, just very minor interlacing. It has a very vivid screen and will support just about any homebrew you throw at it at this point. You won't be able to use some earlier homebrew or muck about with your NAND, but chances are you won't care about that stuff anyway. As for the battery issues, there are a couple of plugins that make the PSP a bit more efficient by not leaving unneeded bits running like the PSP normally does.

Hargrun

Support the arts! (The games, silly.)
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I will not lie. It's limited.

Depending on which games you are planning to play, mainly SNES... You will suffer from very low FPS. (Enhancement chips wise.)

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will not lie. It's limited.

Depending on which games you are planning to play, mainly SNES... You will suffer from very low FPS. (Enhancement chips wise.)
You must be running an older version of SNES9x for PSP. You should check on Wololo, there's a version that's a lot newer and far more playable. It still won't handle games all that well that use the Super FX chip, but that's not really that many good games that haven't been ported to GBA.

Reactions: Hargrun

Hargrun

Support the arts! (The games, silly.)
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You must be running an older version of SNES9x for PSP. You should check on Wololo, there's a version that's a lot newer and far more playable. It still won't handle games all that well that use the Super FX chip, but that's not really that many good games that haven't been ported to GBA.
Wow, thankz! I didn't know that it had received updates. I had to stop everything I was doing to test this.

So far, the only game that I see improvements is DKC2. It still loses FPS in submerged stages, but other effects like storm is OK... Oddly, Kirby Super Star is even more unplayable than before (if it's possible). :blink:

While games like DKC series really have been ported to GBA, these versions leave something to be desired (I have a friend who simply doesn't support them)... Not to mention this SNES emulator allows adhoc multiplayer, while the GBA don't. This is a huge pro for me, not sure about the OP.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, thankz! I didn't know that it had received updates. I had to stop everything I was doing to test this.

So far, the only game that I see improvements is DKC2. It still loses FPS in submerged stages, but other effects like storm is OK... Oddly, Kirby Super Star is even more unplayable than before (if it's possible). :blink:

While games like DKC series really have been ported to GBA, these versions leave something to be desired (I have a friend who simply doesn't support them)... Not to mention this SNES emulator allows adhoc multiplayer, while the GBA don't. This is a huge pro for me, not sure about the OP.
Ah, I was never into the DKC series until Retro took over. Try messing with the rendering engine, I generally would have it set differently for different games, depending on performance and graphical accuracy needed for the game. My old Phat handles all my SNES games just fine, save Star Fox (I prefer the 3DS version anyway) and Yoshi's Island (I just play the GBA version instead), though I don't have Kirby Super Star or any of the DKC games.

Reactions: Hargrun

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ohkay