Gaming Is Project64 still the best N64 emulator around?

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
I never played LoZ:OoT and I wanted to give it a shot... however, I'm pretty darn sure that Project64 doesn't run it at full speed... anyone know? If not, I might just have to wait for that N64 emu for the PSP... (plays OoT at 3/4s speed I think with some graphical glitches...)

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I don't kniw what's the best, as I have a mac but I warn you your computer better be pretty darn fast to get stable frame rates.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
X D D X said:
OOT works fine on My crap computer but it has some Graphical issues. P64 is the best nN64 Emu i've used.
I have a really crappy computer too, so... can you be more specific? Does it run full speed? What kind of graphical glitches do you get? Are you using any special settings?

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Wow, I'm impressed. Tried it out and it only lags very briefly here and there, but everything else is full speed. I'm also using my 360 controller which works just perfect with the N64 buttons. Are there any plug-ins that can make the emulation better/smoother?

X D D X

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I don't know what FPS it runs at natively, i was simply reading what it says At the bottom right of the Project 64 window. But it seems to run at full speed.

Gamer

DS Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.pikaflash.com
XP
Country
Mexico
The fastest plugin is Jabo Direct3D8, works fine with most games (perhaps a few graphical glitches with some). You can configure the plugin and adjust the res, antialiasing, add Super2XSal and some other stuff. Should be the default plugin for a lot of games.

Glide64 1.0 Napalm it's the most accurate one, but it somekind slower than Jabo, however I use it for some games like Paper Mario, because it flickers with Jabo's. You can use Hi-Res texture filters with it (same as Rice).

Rice's Plugin is also good, but perhaps you'll get some trouble getting the perfect settings. However you can also use Hi-Res texture filters and it's faster than Glide (at least for me, but it depends of games).

Direct64/GlN64 are also great plugins, but I use them less frequently, so can't tell much about them.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Thanks for the replies! i'm really interested in getting a high-res pack... I found one that looks amazing

http://lanpartyguide.com/zelda/

Gonna try getting it to work right now.

Edit: Wow... that texture pack is really nice. The game looks so much better! Too bad it makes me use the video plug-in from 1.6 instead of the Jacobo one from 1.7... but there really is a huge difference.

Twiffles

танковые победы
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
There's 4 different graphics mods now apparently. xD
1. Hi-res (you want this one)
2. Cell-shaded
3. Wind Waker style (see: here)
4. Twilight Princess style (this is in dev.)

Spikey

Your Special Someone
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I donated and got the latest version of Project 64 and I must say...

Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and Major's Mask in TRUE WIDESCREEN is freaking amazing. Project 64 does what Nintendon't. There are lots of other games that can run in widescreen too, but some don't work that well, like Mario 64. Games like Mario 64 have pop in and out on the edges of the screen that are outside the fullscreen area(because you normally can't see that area).

But both Zeldas, and many other games can run in true widescreen now thanks to the latest version of Project 64. It is most definitely something to look into.

They also have their own texture replacement thing going on with the latest version too. So true widescreen with some hi-res textures, and Zelda looks better than ever and is something to experience even if you've played the games hundreds of times.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.