Gaming Is Pokemon X/Y worth it for someone who hasn't played the franchise in a long time?

DiscostewSM

OP
Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
It's been a long time since I last played a Pokemon game (which were Ruby/Sapphire). At the time, from what I can remember, it was basically "catch Pokemon, fight trainers, earn Badges, become Champion" (unless I'm mistaken). I'm not sure what else has happened since then, like the kinds of additions the franchise has gained, but I'd really like to know if X/Y are worth it. What can you tell a person who hasn't played a Pokemon game in a long time about what X/Y offers that might revitalize a person's interest in the game?

Also, which would you rather choose? Physical or digital? I was physical until I bought Fire Emblem, to which I now have been digital with all following games. Right now, I'd only go physical because of the 25% off 1 3DS game at Kmart this week (which includes Pokemon X/Y).

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As someone who hasn't properly played a pokemon game since diamond, i'm actually quite enjoying Pokemon Y.
I mean it's still pokemon, with the same goals, but it just has all these random neat things. It also looks a lot better, which surprisingly adds a fair bit to my enjoyment.

Really I wasn't expecting much. I got it because I haven't bought a pokemon game in ages, and i'm actually quite happy with my purchase so far. There's just little details everywhere and a fair bit of additions. Nothing groundbreakingly different, but enough to make this feel like it isn't just the same old same old.
I'm terrible at naming specifics, but those are my thoughts on it.

As for physical or digital...totally up to you? If you can store it I don't see why not go digital. Getting it cheaper might make physical worth it though too. I only got a physical copy because it came with the pre-order poster, and i'm a sucker for physical pre-order bonuses. But that obviously doesn't apply anymore.

Reactions: Kontributor

SolidSnake95

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The formula isn't any different. You should have hopped on GEN V to see the differences there are because that's when things changed. For example, on B/W, you fought the leader of Team Plasma at the Pokemon League to save the world instead of the Champion(which you do fight after beating the game). The games have gotten more story oriented so that's good. X.Y seems to offer a lot more experience points thus making teh game quick and easy, although I'm 20 hours into it and havent gotten my 2nd badge. This is because I'm super training(mini games that boost a pokemons stats)playing pokemon amie(which boosts happiness, and when they have 2 hearts they will earn double experience). Basically X/Y feels the same but it also feels different. Maybe because its fully 3D, but it really did surprise me when playing and I am not disappointed.

Zaide

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gameplay is effectively the same. There are new features since Ruby (like WiFi), but it's still basically the same game. If you played pokemon before and liked it then I'd highly recommend X/Y.

As for physical or digital, depends on you. I prefer physical so that I can sell it if I choose to and so that if I lose my 3DS I still have my games (after I stop crying about losing a Pikachu edition 3DS).

If you don't care about that though and you want to be able to have tons of games with you at once, then go digital.

D

Deleted User

I've got a biased opinon since I own every single game in the franchise (including Red and Green) and enjoy every single one immensely.

If you already have a 3ds, then it's a must have, it's probably my favorite game on the 3ds right now. I've one the game already but the after end game content is still keeping me going, and i'm a sucker for breeding.

Go physical, there has been problems with save files corrupting in a certain town, and there is a fix for it, but it requires the sd card to be removed in game, so it doesn't work with digital copies. Until it gets patched, you gotta stick with physical.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Definetly, the franchise has never been so good.
I chose digital and I think it's perfect for a handheld.

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
Being a long time fan of this franchise (I have everything but B2/W2.), I would say that there are good and bad points.

The Good:
- more story oriented than the original games (which was just beat up Team Rocket and fight every gym leader)
- new pokemon feel fresh and not rehashed
- better pacing! (it starts off almost immediately, and feels like you progress quicker)
- multiplayer experience is much better (you can see people who are online, and you still have to add your friends, but that's it)
- advanced mechanics are a lot more accessible! (EV training aka customizing how your Pokemon grow is done via mini-games)

The Bad:
- GTS is still ridiculous with people wanting legendaries for basic starters
- I feel the difficulty is amped up - it's a lot more grinding and other things that need to happen
- people still use ubers a lot in multiplayer (goddamn Garchomp, Chansey and others)
- the fairy type is not used that much (even though you have a fairy type gym leader!)

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
HELL YES.
I quit pokemon after platinum failed to impress. And tried black and white only a quarter of the game and gave it up because I got tired of the same thing. Then I tried Y. Holy shit. it's amazing compared to pokemon of before times. Definitely won't be my last game to play in the franchise. I'm a pokefan again. trust me. I felt the same way you did. But this game is everything you've ever wanted in a pokemon game but never got. And I disagree with the extra "grinding" part. The EXP share has always been if you got EXP share you could only give it to one pokemon and only that one would get the XP. Now ALL pokemon in your party get half of the EXP that the finishing pokemon got PLUS the EXP that your finishing pokemon got. There is definitely less grinding and with a day and age that we don't have as much time anymore (since we're not kids anymore haha) I love that feature.

And go physical and support consumer physical copy rights. Have something you own. Not a service / "privilege" Nintendo provides

Reactions: Relf

DiscostewSM

OP
Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so I went and got Pokemon X last night from Kmart for $30. Haven't opened it yet because I wanted to hear the opinions of more people (in case I were to hear more bad than good, to which I could just take it back), but it seems I'm hearing a lot more good than bad.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Both black/white and B2/W2 failed to impress me. It was the same game as d/p with just a different storyline and new Pokemon.

But X and Y have made radical changes. The graphics update to 3D is like playing the series refreshed in a long time. 3D Pokemon models all look good, attack animation is superb and it don't take as long as other 3D Pokemon games. Exp share upgrade means you spend less time grinding because half of the exp goes to the other 5 Pokemon now. Mega evolution is a cool concept with many older Pokemon receiving upgrades. PSS (player pass system) is awesome as its active on the lower screen, instant battle with friends, battle with random people easily as they appear and add them to your friends list. Getting close to flawless Pokemon isn't much of a hassle anymore with new breeding mechanics in place. There's super training as well if you want to max out your Pokemon EV stats and is visible.

JayPea

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So. I've never played *any* of the Pokemon games, ever. I've always been turned off by the apparent need to be a pre-school student to fully enjoy it. Admittedly, this is a personal opinion and not meant to be a critique of Pokemon players that enjoy the franchise. I'm really looking for reasons as to why I should jump in to the 3DS version and, perhaps, flush my pre-conceptions down the shitter. Anyone care to chime in and re-school me?

Thanks.

AngryGeek416

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
So. I've never played *any* of the Pokemon games, ever. I've always been turned off by the apparent need to be a pre-school student to fully enjoy it. Admittedly, this is a personal opinion and not meant to be a critique of Pokemon players that enjoy the franchise. I'm really looking for reasons as to why I should jump in to the 3DS version and, perhaps, flush my pre-conceptions down the shitter. Anyone care to chime in and re-school me?

Thanks.

Troll? play the game, if you can't see why people adore it then we can't help you. I will say one thing i haven't played anything more addicting in years.

JayPea

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Troll? Uhhhm no. I just don't want to spend £35 on a piece of shit when it could be spent on something that is sure to entertain me. Are you that affluent that you don't care how your money is spent? If so, I have some magic beans for sale.....

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks.

The best way to decide is to jump right in and play X/Y, no amount of reviews or reasons will ever be as effective as actually playing it.

if you do not like it, your out the money but its only a 1 time loss, as you will not buy another ever.
if you do, your out money still as you will want to get the next games when they come out later or even go back and play the older DS games.

JayPea

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The best way to decide is to jump right in and play X/Y, no amount of reviews or reasons will ever be as effective as actually playing it.

This is the issue for me. I care how I spend my cash so blindly jumping in to something that I thought of as a throw-away turd is worthy of debate. Apparently, I was wrong and I'm just a troll.

JayPea

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
if you do not like it, your out the money but its only a 1 time loss, as you will not buy another ever.
if you do, your out money still as you will want to get the next games when they come out later or even go back and play the older DS games.

nice paragraph edit after the fact.

TwilightWarrior

GBATEMP'S Official Boss
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Lol, thats not too old, hell yes you should play, I honestly don't know why but this is the first pokemon game that I just can't get enough of. They added so many small things that make a HIGE difference

AngryGeek416

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
This is the issue for me. I care how I spend my cash so blindly jumping in to something that I thought of as a throw-away turd is worthy of debate. Apparently, I was wrong and I'm just a troll.

I wasn't sure before but now i am, i see the true troll in you. By using phrases like "throw-away turd" ur trolling, yes. Why even come here and ask? got nothing better to do? U've seen everyone buy it and say they love it, u've seen the reviews what else do you want? for someone to come to your house and play it in front of you? If you still have a hard time deciding if its worth the 35 then maybe money is a issue for you and you shouldn't be fucking with video games in the first place? I don't even know why i typed all this out anyway, you're obviously just looking to insult the game.

Reactions: NEP

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over