Is Pokemon Hurting the 3DS?

MakiManPR

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Editor's Note: Nintendo and The Pokemon Company International requested a chance to comment on the topic of our editorial. Below are their remarks, followed by the full opinion piece.

Rich
Executive Editor, IGN.com

Nintendo's Comment
"Remember that Nintendo 3DS can also play all Nintendo DS Pokemon games. The Nintendo DS family also has a massive installed base of more than 51 million systems in the United States alone, and we are keen on continuing to deliver new experiences to this audience."

IGN's Opinion
In one of the more bizarre announcements in recent memory, Nintendo/The Pokemon Company International and GameFreak are releasing sequels to Pokemon Black and Pokemon White on the DS, a full eight years after that platform first debuted and, more importantly, nearly a year and a half into the life of the 3DS. Though Pokemon arriving on a previous generation of hardware doesn't necessarily change the fortunes of Nintendo's new portable, it certainly contradicts the company's need to maintain the momentum of its new handheld. Millions of gamers have invested in the 3DS at this point, and they no doubt expect a franchise like Pokemon to make its way to that system - and take full advantage of its strengths.

Certainly 17 months ago, even with the 3DS just around the corner, releasing another wave of Pokemon games on the DS made sense. The DS family of systems had cleared 130 million units sold at that point. That install base is far too large to ignore, particularly in the face of delaying a game's release for a platform that hasn't established itself at all. Nintendo's gamble paid off; as of April 2011 the two titles had surpassed 11 million units sold.

However there's a difference between 2011, when the 3DS was just arriving in stores, and 2012, when the 3DS is attempting to have its first full successful year on the market. By the end of Nintendo's fiscal year in April 2012, the 3DS should have an install base of about 14 million pieces of hardware. Though the system currently has a mere tenth of the sales of its predecessor, that level of sell-through should be more than enough to justify development from one of Nintendo's key teams, even if the company technically operates on its own.

pokemon-black-version-2-20120228104008669-000.jpg

Coming soon to a DS near you.

There is simply no way Nintendo, as a longtime partner of GameFreak and The Pokemon Company International, should encourage this kind of development practice – or allow it to happen at all. If the primary motivation behind supporting the DS once again (for the sixth and seventh times) is financial, Nintendo should offset those costs. The time for supporting an older generation of hardware with games this significant is long past. From a long-term perspective, Black 2 and White 2 on the 3DS will pave the way for future installments. The games are certain to sell well - but only by coming to the 3DS do they ensure the next Pokemon games have bigger audiences.

While Black 2 and White 2 are in some respects forging new territory for the franchise by being numerical sequels, they are still symbolic of the larger problem the entire Pokemon series often faces – intransigence seemingly for the sake of tradition. All companies involved with Black and White knew the 3DS was on the way. They should have known a sequel on the DS would be ill-advised, undermining the 3DS's progress both symbolically and financially. These upcoming Pokemon games would do far more for the 3DS than they will the DS, and not having them is a mark against a system that has already struggled plenty. The fact that these games are published by the same company making the 3DS makes the situation that much worse.

Refusing to push the Pokemon franchise aggressively to a new platform, even for a sequel to a generation already started, would seem poorly advised at best and frustratingly oblivious at worst. No doubt many DS owners, seeing the success of the 3DS and anticipating a core series like Pokemon to make the transition, sold their systems to make way for the new hardware. These games could not arrive at a worse time.

What's perhaps most exasperating is that the Pokemon games are good RPGs. Black and White brought some very welcome alterations to the franchise, and while year-to-year those changes might seem small, the series as a whole has evolved considerably since its debut. That new games will arrive in 2012, and fail to take advantage of ideas like StreetPass, SpotPass and the advanced power of the 3DS, is a huge missed opportunity. That many of us will have to play these games on the 3DS – and experience them blurry or shrunken down because of the resolution difference – is salt on the wound. Black 2 and White 2 will likely be great – but we'll partly be wishing they were made for a different platform.

Rich is an Executive Editor of IGN.com and the leader of the IGN Nintendo team. Follow his ridiculous adventures through MyIGN and Twitter. Keep it cool, Koopalings.

Source

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Let's see, release the game in a format with a userbase of 130 million, or release it to a user base of 15 million?

Decisions, decisions...

Reactions: 1 person

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, read it through thinking there will be some crucial info lol.

What the hell? Waste of time to even think on that matter or to write such a big article.
Yeah, users will be dissapointed to see it on the DS instead of a 3DS exclusive. But Veho made the point already. The gaming industry(including Nintendo) wants money. They dont give a damn about HOW they get the money. People with DS aswell as 3DS will be buying it.
Although we can argue about that... cough *ds piracy* :)
either way, it would still sell more than the 3DS.

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I kinda agree with them, the next Pokemon game should've been on the 3DS to boost sales. 3DS owners will more than likely pirate this game.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They wouldn't be able to efficiently reuse assets on the 3DS for B/W2 anyways, which has just as much to do with it as each handheld's userbase.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You really think Gamefreak isn't working on 6th gen for the 3DS, They didn't stop their development in the middle of 6th gen, 'oh hey lets create b/w sequels' they have a number of teams working on other projects. 6th gen is in development, be patient.

I told you before there's no way they'd have released part 2 of 5th gen to the 3DS, if they gonna move on to a new handheld, they start off with a new gen, that's how it's always been.

X_XSlashX_X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At first I felt that they should have released it on the 3DS exclusively. But talking to my friend I realized it was a smart decision, the games run off the same engine as the original B/W so that cuts down developmental time by a lot, 3DS doesn't have nowhere as big as a fanbase as the DS. And on top of that they have done this before. When the DS was coming out soon. They released Pokemon Emerald on the GBA. Now chances are GF had a kit for the DS but they decided to make the game for the GBA instead. Why? GBA had a bigger fanbase and the game ran off the same engine as R/S.

rockstar99

Hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If Pokemon was on the 3DS, the 3DS would get so many new users.I know so many people that only play their DS for Pokemon.
I myself would go and buy like 47 3DS Consoles if a Pokemon game released :ninja:

Paarish

Connor's Nublet
Trophies
XP
Country
If Pokemon was on the 3DS, the 3DS would get so many new users.I know so many people that only play their DS for Pokemon.
I myself would go and buy like 47 3DS Consoles if a Pokemon game released :ninja:
That's a bit unneccesary considering you would only need one to play the game :P

"Check out my FORTY-SEVEN 3DS consoles for my ONE copy of Pokemon"

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
You should have told Nintendo sooner. The poor darlings are completely inexperienced in this marketing thing, their estimates were a few thousand. If only they have known about the 483734573573.78 people just waiting for a Pokemon game in order to buy a 3DS.

Paarish

Connor's Nublet
Trophies
XP
Country
You should have told Nintendo sooner. The poor darlings are completely inexperienced in this marketing thing, their estimates were a few thousand. If only they have known about the 483734573573.78 people just waiting for a Pokemon game in order to buy a 3DS.
I personally feel sorry for the people that don't even constitute as an entire person :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    LEOtck? Who's he? Never 'erd of the las. :)
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I only show the mirror to people and you all can't stand what you're seeing
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    bunch of bullies
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Narcissistic Personality Disorder 101
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I think that's what you have
    Thanks for providing further evidence of my claim in a single comment. lol.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    pff\
    You're a gaslighting narcissist. Everyone out to get you. You wont get professional help because you'll just chalk up their diagnosis as another conspiracy out to get you.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    leave me alone, I'm not going to engage with you anymore, bye
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    Motherfucker I was checked by a psychiatrist and there's nothing wrong with me
    okay. Bye. Thought you were leaving anyway. Why are you still around? You already said goodbye to everyone here.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so stop spurting your nonsense
    lol. liar.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    knock it off now, both of you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yea you're just a mean bully
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    he SHOULD
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and NOW
    liar, loudmouth, cussing and swearing, all angry
    ok. sorry. ill stop now. promise
    Sooo. How about Dune part 1 & 2? The cinematography is fantastic, but thats some of the most boring ass sci-fi Ive seen in my life.
    haven't seen both
    Im going to see the new Godzilla next week. Sure they aren't some cinematic masterpieces but the last few were all really great and fun popcorn flicks to see on the big screen.
    can't remember the last time I went to the cinemas
    Me neither, not precisely. I think the last one I went to was Top Gun Maverick
    Oh. Wait. I took my mom to see Elvis. I think that was the last time I went. I'll most likely see the new Planet of the Apes in a theater too.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Oh. Wait. I took my mom to see Elvis. I think that was the last time I went. I'll most likely...