Is playing WAD's you haven't bought from the shop channel actu

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by DriftRS, Apr 8, 2009.

1. DriftRS
    OP

Newcomer DriftRS Advanced Member

I don't really care either way, jsut a random curiosity. For example, I already own OoT on the N64, is it really illegal to use a WAD to play it on the Wii? All your really doing is taking the game you already legally own, and transfering it to another medium. I mean, when I buy a movie or a CD, there's nothing illegal about converting legally bought music or movies to be played on other devices. Hell, if I could take a PC game and convert it to be played on a mac, no one would care. I'm also certain if I made some random slot on the Wii to plug old N64 game-carts in, no one would care.

How is this any different to using a WAD of an N64 game you legally purchased? You could argue that the code of the actual WAD is being copied, but I could buy a VC game, then inject my game into that. I haven't really stolen anything, the path to do so (if I had the hardware), would consist of taking my old N64 cart, dumping the rom, obtaining a WAD from the shop channel, then injecting my rom which I extracted into the WAD which I bought.

Hence I didn't pirate or steal anything. So, is it illegal?

EDIT: *sigh* If your going to instigate character limits in titles, limit the input as well. (topic was basically is using WAD's on the wii really illegal if it's still unclear after reading that)

2. Dr.Killa

Banned Dr.Killa Banned

United States
    good question [​IMG]

3. kryptonianpimp

Member kryptonianpimp GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Nintendo would probably claim that they have digitally remastered a WiiWare or D/L content game, therefore if you didn't pay for it then it is illegal. But if you ripped it and packaged what you already own then I would say you have a legal right to have the game on your console... Just keep the hard copy for safe keeping! [​IMG]

4. FlatFrogger

Member FlatFrogger GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I think it gets all complicated around that it would have to be your own dump of the game to start but nintendo could probably cry you are violating DMCA to be in the point to install/convert/inject it to wad on your wii. i.e apple want it to be a DMCA violation for people to jailbreak iphones, its pretty much a similar series of events.

Nintendo would probably cry foul either way.

5. DriftRS
    OP

Newcomer DriftRS Advanced Member

hmm, wasn't the right to use homebrew/emulators upheld in an Australian court before? I'm prety certain using mod-chips was... If so, at least in Australia Nintendo might have some difficulties [​IMG]