Is partitioning the drive necessary for the USB Loader?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by bnm81002, Apr 29, 2009.

1. bnm81002
    OP

Member bnm81002 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I just purchased this Seagate drive today(black color one), do I have to partition the drive for use with the USB Loader? I've been searching through GBAtemp forums and have seen people make 2 partitions, do I have to make 2 partitions as well? why do people have 2 partitions? how do I make 2 partitions if it's necessary? thanks for the help

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;js...cat180300050005

2. DPyro

Member DPyro GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    You don't need 2 partitions, but I like to leave space for backing up PC stuff. I use paragon partition manager.

3. wiiman123

Member wiiman123 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

New Zealand

4. Wiinie

Newcomer Wiinie Advanced Member

United States
    Make sure you ask these type of questions in the Noob thread. THese are questions that are asked a hundred times and there are a hundred answers, All the same. Simple tool is to use the serach button up top.

No you do not need to partition your hard drive. Make sure it is formatted in fat32 so your WIi or WBFS mamnager can then format it to the correct style to load and play games

People partition there hard drives becuase that way only 1 is for Wii games (only since it is useless to store data on it beside the wii games) and the other partition so it can contain all there data like movies music, roms.

Your Wii can do many things, and if you are like me, i play movies and listen to music besides playing games on my wii, you will need two partitions so you do not have to switch between hard drives

You will also need to partition your hard drive if it is greater than 1 tb as your usb loader wont recognize it. ( may have been fixedm i do not know.

5. dajavax

Member dajavax GBAtemp Regular

Mexico
    as they already said... you don't need two partitions... but if you have two you can have one for computers and one for the Wii... the wii can't read computer partitions and the computer can't read wii partitions (just with the tools and you can just add wii isos)... just putting it in simple-noob terms (meaning i know it's not 100% accurate but for his purposes it is)

6. Smartpal

Member Smartpal The Guitar Guy

India
    I personally use 2 partitions just so I don't lose my data on my HDD.

7. bugaveli

Banned bugaveli Banned

United States
    wbfs IS a computer partition

8. bnm81002
    OP

Member bnm81002 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    thanks for all the replies, now I know that I don't need more than 1 partition and that WBFS will format my drive for me, now on to installing the Ultimate USB Loader, WBFS Manager 3.0 and USB Loader GUI-FX and playing my Wii