Is one Gateway red card as good as any other?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Allied, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Allied
    OP

Allied Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2015
    So, what I mean is, can I create an EmuNAND for instance with one GW card in the slot, and then run it fine using another card? They don't integrate some sort of card-specific check in the EmuNAND, right? I've heard there is brick code in the launcher to prevent hacking, so I wondered whether there was additional protection like it, before I went ahead and started using different cards. Got a 2nd 3DS I want to set up while another GW card is on the way.

Thanks!

2. tony_2018

tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    Have you tried booting into emunand without the red card? I mean that would give you your answer.

3. ravihpa

ravihpa GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 11, 2007
    India
    It OBVIOUSLY doesn't boot, otherwise we won't have ANY NEED for the Gateway card if it let us boot into emunand without one.

4. Allied
    OP

Allied Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2015

An answer to a question I didn't ask... and already know the answer too. ??

And before you ask, I can't check that different cards work to boot the same EmuNAND, because I don't have the second card yet. I just wondered whether anyone had tried. (And didn't get bricked.)

5. Lucifer666

Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Apr 22, 2011
    The Fourth Dimension
    ^ Those two responses? They don't even bother answering OP's question

Yeah so to answer your question, no, launching emuNAND doesn't require the same red GW card you formatted it with :) Any one will do

Kenneth196, Allied and Margen67 like this.
  6. ravihpa

ravihpa GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 11, 2007
    India
    Thanx for the answer. Trust me, if I knew the answer to that question, I would've already answered it :) I only have one Gateway :P

7. tony_2018

tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 3, 2014
    United States

To answer this, my post gave you the answer to that. Try it and see.

Here you didn't specify what other card you were going to try to use to enter emunand.

If you had ask " Is it possible to use the same GW red card in different systems" than the simple answer would be yes.

8. Celebrimbor360

Celebrimbor360 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 15, 2014
    United States
    No, his question was "Is it possible to use the different GW red cards in same systems" and that was pretty clear to me.

9. Allied
    OP

Allied Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2015

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

10. Kenneth196

Kenneth196 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 6, 2006
    United States
    Texas
    Yea his question was pretty clear to me as well... but Lucifier hit the nail on the head. Any card will do. It's a "gateway" into the emu realm so once you're in emunand, you no longer need the red card in technically (unless you're playing a ROM on the micro SD in the GW). So you could boot into emunand on one 3DS, and then do the same on another.

Lucifer666 likes this.