• Total voters

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wii period!

I think the only three things people dislike (or that are different) about the wii-version are the following:

1. The look: Which is IMO just as good on both versions. But it is a little different so I would suggest to watch a video comparison first - ultimately matter of taste!

2. Attacking: Is mapped to the Remote-shake on Wii and most people don`t like it but I think it is pretty good, because it is not just waggling but you have to shake in a specific rhythm to chain attacks. When you get used to it I think it gets pretty rewarding to do it. Dodging with the Nunchuck however is absolutely horrible on Wii!

3. Brushstrokes: Way better on Wii obviously!

So over all I prefer the Wii-version like I said, because the usage of the brush is just so much more satisfying, that any other possible disadvantage of the Wii-version is made up for!

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
according to lots of sources

the wii version is inferior
from graphics to controls
no bloom, no paint bleed, paper filter which cannot be noticed unlike the ps2 version
crappy control that were just tacked on

not only that but even nintendo power magazine review even said the ps2 version was better and to play that instead
lol

SkH

Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
Back in the day, I seen some comparisons and the Wii version seemed to be better, much more vibrant colors than the PS2 version, but again, it could be a simple setting in the TV/Monitor/Game/etc. settings.

Edit: Seems like I was wrong. It was years ago... too bad I didn't played it on the PS2.

referencer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I almost quit playing the Wii version because of the retarded motion control malfunctions, and that's not saying anything about the removed content. There are abilities that you will literally never be able to use correctly because it only accepts extremely precise movements.

B

ball2012003

the ps2 version because i had a very hard time with the wii version
it would seriously never accept the movement controls
it seriously had to be very precise

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
PS2 version.

First, for the controls (Hey, see how bad the controls for Wii are : They changed them for the Japanese version, launched after the US one, to feel more natural.)
The attack button being on the wiimote shaking needs a timing precision or Shiranui just stop moving, where on PS2 you could continuously press the button to attack quickly.
The paint button being on "B" is unnatural I think, pressing and painting with the same hand, but it's maybe because I'm used to push L/R buttons on PS2.
Moving the camera is far easier with the right-analog than with the Wiimote pad.

Second :
When I played that game on PS2, I always thought the Wii would be better, because there's pointing device for the pencil, and it would feel more natural to take the wiimote in the hand like a pen etc.
BUT, in fact, after trying the Wii version, I find the PS2 analog far better for moving the pencil. there's a lot more precisions on PS2.

eg. Painting a straight line on the wii is harder than pushing the analog to the right.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Juanmatron said:
Okami on Wii = PS2 port without ANY CHANGES.
What hurf durf someone didnt read this post

QUOTE(Joe88 @ Aug 16 2010, 03:03 PM) according to lots of sources

the wii version is inferior
from graphics to controls
no bloom, no paint bleed, paper filter which cannot be noticed unlike the ps2 version
crappy control that were just tacked on

not only that but even nintendo power magazine review even said the ps2 version was better and to play that instead
lol
anyways. Well even though the poll says wii is better the arguments in this thread thoroughly back the ps2 version. Well sound like ill be getting that one.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BortzANATOR said:
anyways. Well even though the poll says wii is better the arguments in this thread thoroughly back the ps2 version. Well sound like ill be getting that one.
this is a nintendo based forum remember

people probably voted wii never even played the game on either system and are just being the same ol nintendo fanboys that they are

all the tech info goes against the poll, this is really just a popularity contest about systems and not actually which is better

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
Having played both, I can say that the PS2 version is definitely better, mostly because the controls seem like a better fit for the PS2 controller.

The Wii port just reeks of... well, Wii port. The controls are decent enough, but the whole control scheme just seems alienated and unnatural, despite what you'd think from motion and pointer controls. A game like Okami just seems to benefit from having a button-based controller in all areas. Even subtler things become an annoyance on the Wii. The camera is indeed a pain to move around on the Wii edition because of having to reach WAY up the controller to the control pad, and the Nunchuk's stupid-ass eight-direction notches it has on its control pad makes it harder to make subtle direction changes (though this is more of a fault of Nintendo, not the game).

The Wii's version loses out slightly in terms of graphics compared to the PS2 . The Wii version seems a bit darker in contrast compared to the original PS2 version, but you only really notice it when playing one right after the other. Also, oddly, it seems that some little graphical effects had to be sacrificed for the Wii port. The neat ink-and-parchment sort of sepia tone that the screen changes when operating the paintbrush is severely butchered. Sure, it's not that big of a deal, and still turns a bit sepia-ish on the Wii, but it's much more edgy and effective on the PS2 to be sure. Also, there's no bloom in the Wii version, which probably accounts for the lost brightness. On top of THAT, the Wii version chugs a bit more. I don't mind these cut graphical effects as much as I do the botched controls, but it irks me nonetheless, as the Wii has been proven time and time again to be quite the graphical powerhouse when put to the test, or at least compared to the PS2...

If you're really concerned about the graphics, here's a comparison video I found. It sort of sucks, but handy anyways.

EDIT: Ohh man, looks like a tie in the polls!!!!!!11

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See the ps2 one remind me of shenmue. Where Wii got that cartoon look which remind me of red steel 2.

Never seen red steel 1 and never play this game so no vote from me
tongue.gif

Kaosu-Noko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
really hated the controls especially when trying to be precise on the wii and then all of a sudden the point jumps to other other side of the screen completely messing me up or when i try to use the brush stroke and it makes a giant blob. i also hated fighting (didn't notice at first but the tougher enemies pissed me off. the game was made easier for me by using the cheat that maps the attacks and dash to 1 and fleetfoot and other things to 2 but the painting strokes were pains especially during blockheads. played the ps2 version over a friends and the painting was better but still a pain the graphics on the ps2 was lighter but more crisp while darker and blurry on the wii but im not to picky on graphics

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Cyan said:
eg. Painting a straight line on the wii is harder than pushing the analog to the right.
Quoting myself !

Look at the video, at position 1:44
on the wii-side, the player "try" to make a straight line, which fail
tongue.gif

It's all but straight, so it's not working.

nasune

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well if I remember correctly you could make straight lines using the Z-button, still I had no problems with the controls on either version.
Therefore I would personally recommend going with the cheapest unless you feel unconfident in your ability to use the Wii controls.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.