1. koohiiwonomimasu69

OP koohiiwonomimasu69 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Australia
    I live in the coronavirus capital of Australia and will be in lockdown for the foreseeable future. I've been thinking of getting a gaming PC which can run Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, The Witcher 3 and the hypothetical Final Fantasy VII remake PC port at 1080p 60fps. I already have a laptop running Linux which does everything it needs to besides gaming (using a Windows virtual machine to sync my iPhone is a pain in the ass though). This PC will be for gaming and gaming only.

There are two webpages I'm looking at:

https://techfast.com.au/products/amd-ryzen-5-3500x-rtx-2060-6gb-gaming-desktop-pc
    https://www.pcgamer.com/au/gaming-pc-build-guide/?region-switch=1596321214

I'm mainly looking at the first link but keeping the second in mind in case the first is no good. Are there any changes to the default configuration in the first link which you would recommend?

Is it worth increasing the price by $150 for an m.2 hard drive? Does a 240GB m.2 hard drive have enough space for Windows and one large game?

I already have an external WiFi adapter.

Will I be better off waiting for these games to be ported to the PS5?

2. RaptorDMG

RaptorDMG GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I'd wait until Nvidia and AMD release their new GPUs, which will be before the new consoles release

Silent_Gunner and r5xscn like this.
  3. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Portugal
    Yes, buy. Why hell wait? You can die from the virus. Get the best gear you can. It's not like the newer products from Nvidia or AMD will make whatever exists now obsolete.

Besides, they'll be expensive.
    A 150$ increase is quite a lot. Maybe adding a second drive would be a better option? 240GB is plentiful for the OS and a couple large games.

4. Goku1992A

Goku1992A GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Buy a premade PC. Make sure you get NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2060 . That should be measureable against next gen graphics since it has the ray tracing with it. You are looking at spending between $1300-$1500 but it is worth it. If you wanna do low end just get a NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 1050. I have a 1050 i wish I would have gotten the 2060 with Ray Tracing but i only paid $600 for my gaming laptop.

5. vagabond139

vagabond139 Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    There will always be a excuse not buy a PC. COVID19, new parts around the corner, etc. If you got the money and nothing is going change within the next few weeks I say go for it. You can't win the waiting game.

6. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

United States
    I'm personally building a new PC also, I'm just going to buy my CPU next month or so, when the new Ryzen CPUs get released.

7. ForgotWhoIam

ForgotWhoIam GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have always considered myself a console gamer and not a PC gamer. I always had crappy computers that weren't gamer PCs and I was pretty much fine with it. But I got tired of waiting forever for extractions and getting the computer is not responding all the time, so a few weeks ago I bought this since I can't post links

Acer Nitro 5 15.6 Inch FHD Full HD IPS Display Gaming Laptop with Woov Sleeve, Intel Core i5-9300H, 16GB RAM, 256GB PCIe SSD Boot + 1TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1650, Backlit Keyboard, WiFi 6, Windows 10

It was $900 + tax on Amazon.

I've been very happy with it loads everything fast, and plays all the games I want. I even am becoming somewhat of a PC gamer although I still love my consoles also. Got DOOM Eternal up and running and looiking nice. And playing emulators I couldn't dream of playing before. I'm very happy with my purchase. There's a site to see if you can run PC games and all of the top 100 PC games I can at least run at minimum and like 91% at recommended levels. Sure there's better ones for more money, but I don't need them although yes it would be nice if it could have played next-gen games but I'm not worried about that.

Last edited by ForgotWhoIam, Aug 4, 2020
  8. driven

driven Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Fall release should have the AMD 4xxx series and the latest gpus from Nvidia and AMD. It'd be a good time to wait for those and queue up your purchases.
    Consoles are set in stone at this point. I bring this up because console ports or simultaneous releases tend to have at the worse, recommended specs no greater than either console. For example, I'm waiting for Nioh 2 on PC.
    I'm still using a 1070 and it's still going. That's what happens when graphics stagnate for so long. I did however jump ship from a 4690k to an AMD 3600. I'm awaiting for AMD's follow up in fall.

9. simcole

simcole Member
    Newcomer

United States
    With all the manufacturing behind behind and the intel-amd war going on, you might wait until at least after Black Friday.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - gaming,