Gaming Is Nintendo shooting itself in the foot?

wovva

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I am the lucky owner of a DS Lite and a Nintendo Wii.

Recently I've been thinking about buying another DS Lite for a family member, I also know of another family member that would like a Wii.

However, it seems incredible that nearly 2 years into the life of the DS you cannot go into shops at buy one due to high demand at Xmas.

In the UK the Nintendo Wii has been out for over a year now and you STILL cannot go into a shop and buy one.

I appreciate that they are incredibly popular, but surely Nintendo has to demonstrate that it can deal with the demand that it KNEW it was going to have. They must be losing lots, and lots of potential customers simply because they cannot provide sufficient hardware for the market.

In some game shops you can't buy Mario Galaxy because of high demand. I've been a Nintendo gamer for 20 years now, and I have known a situation like this.

If Nintendo doesn't get its act together fast then it risks losing the lead it has fought so hard to gain.

laminaatplaat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wii is still a problem in the netherlands too
tongue.gif

it's crazy

Red_Dragon_JPN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm, I seem to see a repeat of history. Remember the 360 and the rumors that microsoft was intentionally releasing not enough hardware to go around to make it look "popular". A year in and Nintendo is still having supply and demand issues, not likely.

It's just a thought I guess.

Deleted member 110780

WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sometimes I think Nintendo hates us, because they haven't upgraded production and now they're going to South Korea? Then again, they really don't have anything to gain from the shortage and the people that ARE benefitting from this are eBay sellers. 1.8 million a month still isn't enough. And some of us have been waiting for over a year too.

trelantana

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to agree that Nintendo doesn't really have anything to gain from this... Unless you consider the fact that the DS-Lite and DS-Phat are in higher circulation. (Yes, I know it's hard to get one at X-Mas, but what ISN'T hard to get at X-mas?) I am basing my opinion on personal experience: You see, I am the only one of my friends to own a Wii. It's not because I'm the only one that thought the Wii was an amazing system, but it's actually because the Wii was out of stock when they attempted to buy one. (I got mine by camping out, which was surprisingly fun, and not anything like I was led to believe) Instead of holding out indefinitely to spend their 500+ dollars (USD) on a Wii+games+accessories, EACH OF THEM decided that they would instead invest their vast fortune upon a DS Lite plus several, several games, and extra accessories.

This is why I think that the Wii shortage is manufactured. In my opinion, Nintendo recognizes that there are only 5 or 6 "must-have" titles on the Wii, and there are even fewer good titles expected for the next while. So, until their third party support gets it's act together, Nintendo is going to continue the Wii shortage to stealthfully transfer their customers over to a different Nintendo console so that their revenue will not be damaged. See, more triple A titles equals more ca$h, and the DS undoubtedly has more triple-A titles than the Wii is going to have for the next... say... at least 5 months. So until then, the Wii is going to be in short supply.

There is one potential flaw in my theory, though... The fact that Sony also has a competing handheld. To fill this possible hole in my theory, I am going to ask you one simple question: Would you rather have handed to you a Nintendo DS Lite with 60 dollars worth of accessories (case, carrier, styluses, screen protectors, etc) plus 11 *good* games, or would you rather have a PSP plus about 4 or 5 games? The decked-out DS, right? Well, here's a secret: Both things I just listed would cost about the same amount.

So, basically, what I'm saying here is that Nintendo is causing these Wii shortages to migrate potential Wii players to the DS Lite so that their annual revenue can stay intact.

TaMs

Randomizer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
There's plenty of wiis and ds here. come and get them.
at the best i've seen like 50 boxes of them and -50% sale. And no one even looked at them
biggrin.gif

H8TR

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
There pretty hard to find in Canada (well depending on where you live). Only way to get them here is daily (more like hourly) checks at Wal Mart.

Speed Freak

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
at the best i've seen like 50 boxes of them and -50% sale. And no one even looked at them
biggrin.gif

Whoa! And to think I spent 450 USD on mine...
cry.gif

If you go to a brazilian store to buy a "legal" Wii with all the taxes and stuff, you won't find for less than 600 USD. This is why brazilian people usually go for alternative ways. Before you all start cursing me for my modus operandi, I should let you know that the taxes for imported goods are over 60% of the price tag PLUS shipping...

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
biggrin.gif

I'm guessing gamers from Winland arn't really fussed over the Wii, and would rather play their "hxc" PS Triple and 360 games (:.

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
Well when i did buy my Wii i looked in ALL shops in the biggest City nearst my little town..
ALL Sold OUT!

But stupid me didn't check at my own Town.
In a toy store there it WAS!!!
For the same price
smile.gif

And the shop owners are very kind and the most scary thing... They know EVERYBODY's names! Thats creepy!

Extreme Coder

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
You guys should be happy you live in places where you can go to a shop and buy a console normally.
There is this series of shops in Egypt called GameValley, which literally have a monopoly on gaming shops on Egypt. Even though they barely hold anything other than PS2 stuff, since most kids here barely hear of the DS Lite or the Wii, which is very very sad :'(
From the beginning of December, till now, I have been calling GameValley twice a day, to ask them if they have a DS Lite in stock, even though they sell it for almost double the price. And everytime, an asshole replies telling me: "Uhh.. I hope we will get them soon in the futurez, probably by the time you have 3 children. Just keep calling and they'll be here anyday"
One of my friends works there, and he says they bought 5 Wiis from launch day, and the only sold 2 so far, even though about 15-20 people a day come asking for it.
Guess why? THEY SELL IT FOR 4,000 EGP!!
price.png

Do the maths.

mr deez

Trophies
XP
Country
No way in the world Nintendo are purposefully holding stock back- for the first time in recent console history, they actually MAKE money selling the console, so the more they shift the better.

They may have reasons why, at present they choose not to ramp up production (relocation costs, retooling, quality control) but they are NOT to starve the market - as you rightly say, this will lose them customers and so makes no sense.

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
They are purposefully holding back stock.

The stores are too.

You can buy "bundles" everywhere for like $600 that come with a bunch of games and wiimotes. So, they do have the Wii's but they want to tack on a ton of shit to make more money because they know people are desperate to buy them.

Also, I've heard over in europse Wii's are in stores everywhere, and it seems everyone who wants in Japan has one. There is no way they don't have enough to fill store shelves in America. They are just creating demand so they can compete with the 360 and ps3.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
They may have reasons why, at present they choose not to ramp up production (relocation costs, retooling, quality control) but they are NOT to starve the market - as you rightly say, this will lose them customers and so makes no sense.
QFT

I seriously doubt they are intentionally holding the production back. Trying to force a faster production would only lead to crappy build quality, and I think that the cracky DS hinge taught them a lesson. I believe it's a calculated risk; the sales missed by not having enough consoles ready are less of a loss than a whole series of faulty consoles that they would have to take back under warranty (red ring of DOOM
ph34r.gif
), which could happen if they try to rush things.

EDIT: As for the Europe versus USA thing, they are making consoles according to their sales projections, which turned out to have been slightly optimistic regarding sales figures in Europe, and slightly pessimistic regarding the US.

Yes, you can get a Wii here any time you want, for $420, and in the US, you have to wait a month or two, but then you get it for $250. Wanna trade places?
wink.gif

Extreme Coder

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
Omg! Thats 3688.87DKK!
I payed 2100DKK for mine.
What a crappy land Egypt must be to live in
frown.gif

That,sir,is the correct answer
ph34r.gif

I seriously need to move out of Egypt ASAP. I want to go any country, I don't care what it is. As long as it's not Egypt, I'm content with it.
QUOTEYou mean what a crappy land Egypt must be to buy DS'/Wiis.
dry.gif
What do you mean?
You mean other things in Egypt are in a better state?

mr deez

Trophies
XP
Country
They are purposefully holding back stock.

The stores are too.

You can buy "bundles" everywhere for like $600 that come with a bunch of games and wiimotes. So, they do have the Wii's but they want to tack on a ton of shit to make more money because they know people are desperate to buy them.

Also, I've heard over in europse Wii's are in stores everywhere, and it seems everyone who wants in Japan has one. There is no way they don't have enough to fill store shelves in America. They are just creating demand so they can compete with the 360 and ps3.

Yes the stores maybe - that's their prerogative with the current levels of demand - although I don't agree with it..

But No way are Nintendo.

You're PS3/360 competition arguement makes no sense - Nintendo MAKE money each time a customer buys a Wii. Microsoft and Sony both LOSE money each time they sell a PS3/360, with a view to (hopefully) making money make on selling tons of games.

So really, Nintendo's best plan is SELL AS MANY WII'S AS POSSIBLE ASAP. Then they're already one step ahead - holding back stock would be seriously dumb as they would only lose out with such a strategy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If our Walmart has them yours probably does
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I came to like french Camembert
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    People get way too self conscious about ingredients
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Grilled peanut butter sandwiches with banana, bacon, and marshmallow cream. YUM!!!!
    one of my favorites
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Okay elvis
    fuck elvis. lol :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My type c cable is starting to die guess I better order one from my desk
    sounds like something Ween would play
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    And here I thought I was the only one that buy cables in bulk
    Nope. Theres two of you! Haha
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They're so cheap now why not
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I like the L angle connectors which add more force to it I guess which defeats the point
    i only buy new ones when theres a new standard and I have gear that uses it. Otherwise my cables seem to last forever.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Ween made a song about waving dicks in the wind.
    +1
    L angle cables are amazing when needed.
    @SylverReZ Yup. Been a longtime fan of Ween. Not a mega-fan by any means but I'm pretty familiar with most of their tunes.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You like the wee
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I like electronics that use detachable cables, that way if the cable breaks you can just swap in a new one instead of replacing the whole unit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Ween-er :creep:
    they make brown music. lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Brown note
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    for keyboards, headphones or controllers ,it's a must have
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why mice won't get with detachable type c
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Don't know why mice won't get with detachable type c