Is Nintendo on its way to disabling Modded Wii's?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by lanleague, Aug 29, 2007.

1. lanleague
    OP

Member lanleague GBAtemp Regular

United States
    With the 3.0U update making initial Wii Config discs inoperable and Nintendo's ability to ban cheaters on WiFi Connect for the DS, can Nintendo conceivably disable Wiis that have been modded from getting online or even playing new games such as Super Mario Galaxy or Super Smash Bros. Brawl?

2. AMPonzi

Member AMPonzi GBAtemp Fan

United States
    They banned Wiikey config discs by way of their disc IDs and the header format (El Torito)... they're not gonna disable the disc IDs for Super Mario Galaxy or Super Smash Bros. Brawl and they're in the Wii game standard format... so to answer your question, no they're not on their way to disabling modded Wii systems. They're just making it a tad more annoying hoping it'll piss some people off enough to not do it anymore, but fat chance there.

3. Noobix

Member Noobix GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Hmmm, without doubt nintendo could find a way to disable mod's, just look at Microsoft and what they did to the XBox.

Whether they actually will is another matter, since it also helps them to sell the console itself. [​IMG]

Anyway until then... happy gaming. [​IMG]

4. Samutz

Member Samutz Wet Tissue Sample

United States
    You don't have to have a modded Wii to cheat and get banned.
    And modchip users are not all cheaters.

5. Tranman

Newcomer Tranman Member

United States
    Well, Microsoft never disabled the mods to the Xbox. They just banned people using hacked BIOSes (original) and DVD firmware (360). On the original Xbox, I didn't really care since I didn't use Xbox Live...however, on the 360, I love having Xbox Live access, it makes owning the console much better.

Now what will be interesting is to see if they can detect Wii's playing burned games...if so, they may have grounds to ban you from online activities.

6. AMPonzi

Member AMPonzi GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The only possible way I can see them detecting a burned game is to have the game send intentionally bad authentication data to be authenticated, if it returns an OK then the game will no the Wii is modded. Not sure exactly how this would work, but it's all I can think of.

7. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Yeah, but if that were done there'd be no way to run the game on an Un-modded Wii, so what would be the point? It'd be too complicated.

If I remember right MS was able to check the system firmware by checking disk recognition algorithms that were different using hacked firmwares (didn't respond as fast or something) so if Nintendo can do this with current modchips they can ban the Wiis MAC address from WiiConnect24. Friend codes are made new after a format so it'd have to be MAC address. At any rate, because there are so many different modchips for the Wii, with so many different ways of attacking the drive chip to do what we want, some modchips will spoof even this kind of authentication if they behave just like the original drivechip. WiinJa V2 users will be banned, but who's to say if WiiKey or WiiFree users running the disks at 6x will be noticed. It's hard to tell since Nintendo admittedly knows more about their hardware than we do.

8. aligborat69

Member aligborat69 GBAtemp Fan

The main point here is that, the DS is still selling strong and nothing has been done about flash cards, etc. There would be no point anymore. Piracy is here to stay. With the Wii, the only real way to tell if you are playing pirate games is by checking what game saves you have on the machine, why for example would you have a JAP Resident Evil 4 save on your PAL machine.. but by looking into the system, this would be some sort of privacy invasion and would be illegal.

With regards to updates on games etc, these are intended for specific regions, if you brick you PAL wii because you played a USA game with an update, Nintendo did not intend this update to be run outside USA, its not in the slightest an attempt to stop piracy, just provide the correct region Wiis with free updates to help run the game.

Even so, the percentage of pirate users is fractional, many peope are put off from the bricking stories and the soldering etc... id say maybe 20% are modded out of all the machines since launch? I know so many people with various consoles, very few of them know iso's and modchips exist. They buy originals and are happy at doing so.

I buy originals of all movies, albums, games i truly love. I prefer to have originals of stuff in my favourites. Im not the only one who thinks this way.

My wii is modded, it allows me to play homebrew and try out wii games too.

I think the massive sales of the Wii, and the low percentage of modded ones... Nintendo are happy with its success and the success will continue and the pirates will only be a small problem for them and overlook it like they have with the massive success of the DS.

9. Bob Loblaw

Member Bob Loblaw Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!

United States
    yeah you have to remember nintendos target customer now is EVERYONE. i saw an ad in my moms oprah magazine with a woman playing wiisports...
    soccer moms are not going to be going to radioshack and picking up a soldering iron to put in their new WiiD chip and then run brickblocker on some iso's.
    The 5 year old kid who burns himself on a creepy crawler oven is not going to be allowed near soldering iron.
    nintendo is all set.

xbox, where their target consumer is the "core gamer" or whatever, will be modded much more often.

10. TaMs

Member TaMs Randomizer

Finland
    i would say that driver chips are hard to disable. They need to update drive firmware to disable them i think. but that's not possible through wifi.
    But who know, maybe they'll find a away. if they're even looking for one. [​IMG] tehy're still making enough money from consoles only.

i don't know about xbox really, but didn't they just upgrade custom driver firmware or something so they can play backup games? And microsoft just banned those ones with custom firmware from xboxlive?

11. andreq

Member andreq GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    They got banned because Xbox 360 DVD have "stealth" sector which were not sent on earlier firmware.

As of now, the new "I xtreme" firmware is sending the same info as an original firmware do and (tehoricaly) you can't be banned.

I think the Wii is only waiting for a "this is an original game" ... and the Xbox 360 is waiting for "This is an original game, with this original part and this original other part and this original video part and this other other part which is orignal"

Thats what got people banned