Hardware Is Nintendo Giving Up on Wii U?

DeezTits

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it me? Has Nintendo given up on Wii U? It seems like, after Christmas, after Smash Bro did really well to briefly give hope to Wii U, things have fallen to near null again. I mean, the next big game coming out is Zelda U. When will that be released? Thanksgiving? Christmas? Other than that - Mario Kart DLC next month - Starfox, maybe - Nowadays, when game releases are announced, they're announced in bulk. Like "Wii U Releases for 2015!" - which includes 25 VC & Indie games & Mario Party 10! That's all for the rest of the year? A couple "BIG" releases and a bunch of retro game ports & oddball Indies? Not to mention the constant news & rumors that Nintendo has already fully focused on their next console.

Maybe (hopefully) it's just me. The last game I bought for Wii U was Mario Kart 8. I'm not a big Smash fan (blasphemy!) but I acknowledge it's a cool, very well made/received game. The next game I really want is Zelda U. But will that be the last BIG game? No more 3D Mario? Luigi's Mansion U, maybe? Is Nintendo just humoring Wii U owners whilst they focus on the next console?

Thoughts?

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I kind of agree, but at the same time, I'm hoping that Nintendo is just clamming up for the time being for a BIG announcement that they've been trying to keep secret for the time being (like, maybe an announcement for Animal Crossing U after MK8 DLC pack 2 releases, hopefully)

andeers

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I think you are skipping some games because you don't like/have/know them. For example, you are considering Mario Kart 8 DLC as a thing to come but skipped Bayonetta 2.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TemplarGR

Gaming expert
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I believe this is the case. Wii U is a lost cause. There is no way that can turn this around. There is no reason to focus much resources on supporting it. Better to focus on their fusion project.

Of course, some more games will arrive for it, but i don't believe we will see much support after 2015. It will be exactly like the Wii after 2010...

Reactions: DeezTits

dontay0100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Spaltoon guys!! But overall I do feel like the Wii U has been dead for a long time. It had potential but too many things aren't up to date with Nintendo's business tactics..

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
lots of shit coming this year
patience_grasshopper_infant_bodysuit.jpg

Nym5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Please, let us not forget Xenoblade Chronicles X.
In my opinion the biggest games to come out this year on Wii U will be Xenoblade, Zelda and Star Fox.
If those games sells well it will not be a bad year for the Wii U. And those 3 games together are more than what I'm excited about for on PS4+Xone. There are a few games that I'm interested in those platforms but I'm not even sure if they come out this year.
Plus, this entire generation is still lacking really and exciting good games in a general way.

Haymose

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo hasn't given up. Hopefully they are focusing on fixing things like the NNID, system transfers, and all those other headaches. Let's not forget the New 3DS has the same buttons as the Gamepad, something big (hopefully) is coming. They gave up on third parties the same way they gave up on Nintendo. What can you do? I bought a PS4, best of both worlds.

DeezTits

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
... Let's not forget the New 3DS has the same buttons as the Gamepad, something big (hopefully) is coming...

Yes! I'm holding my breath in hopes the New 3DS will eventually have Gamecube (and maybe even more N64) ports and/or remakes.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
What gave that away; the lack of third party support, mediocre library or low sale units? Pick your poison. The Wii U's a commercial failure.

Nintendo doesn't even give two fucks about the Wii U's games much in 2015 so much so they decided to release budget titles that aren't even home console games, i.e, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse and Mario Vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars but 3DS-type games. Mario Party 10's got 1/3 game mode locked until the user buys one of the amiibos or all for $116.

The only good games for Wii U coming out this year are just; Xenoblade X, Zelda, Devil's Third and Yoshi's World (it looks like it could be).

elmoemo

Trophies
XP
Country
What gave that away; the lack of third party support, mediocre library or low sale units? Pick your poison. The Wii U's a commercial failure.

Nintendo doesn't even give two fucks about the Wii U's games much in 2015 so much so they decided to release budget titles that aren't even home console games, i.e, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse and Mario Vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars but 3DS-type games. Mario Party 10's got 1/3 game mode locked until the user buys one of the amiibos or all for $116.

The only good games for Wii U coming out this year are just; Xenoblade X, Zelda, Devil's Third and Yoshi's World (it looks like it could be).
Amiibos is the same as Disney infinity but you know what you get when getting into it. As for games, I know what to expect from ninty and that's Zelda and Mario games, everything else I can do without or get on my Xbox one.

As you said its a complete commercial failure, it just feels super rushed.

Hope they learn for next gen of console. Games like you said and Mario maker all could be done on 3ds without being wasted on the Wii u (however the Mario and donkey Kong game is free for Wii u if you buy it for 3ds and vice versa)

TemplarGR

Gaming expert
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I don't think Splatoon will be that good. Too much hype for a run of the mill multiplayer shooter. What is the highlight? Just the graphical style? Please...

Wii U will be dying a slow and painful death after 2015... No doubt Nintendo had many games planned for it, but quality HD games are costly and Wii U's userbase doesn't justify the investment. I believe many HD games in development will be moved on their fusion project...

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I don't think Splatoon will be that good. Too much hype for a run of the mill multiplayer shooter. What is the highlight? Just the graphical style? Please...

Wii U will be dying a slow and painful death after 2015... No doubt Nintendo had many games planned for it, but quality HD games are costly and Wii U's userbase doesn't justify the investment. I believe many HD games in development will be moved on their fusion project...
The latest update for Splatoon says that it's a GamePad-controller only so unfortunately no Wii U Pro Controller or Wiimote/Nunchuk support. At best it lasts 8hrs but the WUPC lasts for 80hrs and it's super light-weight so Nintendo really screwed it up for a shooter.

laudern

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Nintendo's next home console needs to lose the cd drive, be downloadable content only and be 100% subscription based with 3 Rd party companies included as a separate subscription. So you can either subscribe to just nintendo games, 3rd party games, or subscribe to both.

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Nintendo haven't given up on the Wii U- they're just not trying with it. I knew that after the big Mario game of the generation for Wii U turned out to be a NSMB clone with cats. Then they've got the low-budget games like Captain Toad, Kirby, NSMBU, etc., which make up the core of the Wii U's catalog. As I've said before, Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. are the only great first party games on the system at the moment. Depending on how Zelda U develops, it might join the other two. The rest aren't bad- they're good. But good's not good enough. Nintendo needs to start reaching their old standard again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.