Is Nintendo Giving Up on Wii U?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by DeezTits, Mar 10, 2015.

1. DeezTits
    OP

DeezTits GBAtemp Regular

Sep 5, 2014
    United States
    Is it me? Has Nintendo given up on Wii U? It seems like, after Christmas, after Smash Bro did really well to briefly give hope to Wii U, things have fallen to near null again. I mean, the next big game coming out is Zelda U. When will that be released? Thanksgiving? Christmas? Other than that - Mario Kart DLC next month - Starfox, maybe - Nowadays, when game releases are announced, they're announced in bulk. Like "Wii U Releases for 2015!" - which includes 25 VC & Indie games & Mario Party 10! That's all for the rest of the year? A couple "BIG" releases and a bunch of retro game ports & oddball Indies? Not to mention the constant news & rumors that Nintendo has already fully focused on their next console.

Maybe (hopefully) it's just me. The last game I bought for Wii U was Mario Kart 8. I'm not a big Smash fan (blasphemy!) but I acknowledge it's a cool, very well made/received game. The next game I really want is Zelda U. But will that be the last BIG game? No more 3D Mario? Luigi's Mansion U, maybe? Is Nintendo just humoring Wii U owners whilst they focus on the next console?

Thoughts?

2. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    I kind of agree, but at the same time, I'm hoping that Nintendo is just clamming up for the time being for a BIG announcement that they've been trying to keep secret for the time being (like, maybe an announcement for Animal Crossing U after MK8 DLC pack 2 releases, hopefully)

3. andeers

andeers Member

Newcomer
    Aug 22, 2012
    Cote d'Ivoire
    I think you are skipping some games because you don't like/have/know them. For example, you are considering Mario Kart 8 DLC as a thing to come but skipped Bayonetta 2.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  4. SomecallmeBerto

SomecallmeBerto The Anti-Hero

Dec 17, 2014
    United States
    USA
    Didn't Kirby just come out? I know Mario Party is coming out soon but yeah they don't release many games for it.

5. TemplarGR

TemplarGR Gaming expert

Sep 2, 2011
    Greece
    I believe this is the case. Wii U is a lost cause. There is no way that can turn this around. There is no reason to focus much resources on supporting it. Better to focus on their fusion project.

Of course, some more games will arrive for it, but i don't believe we will see much support after 2015. It will be exactly like the Wii after 2010...

DeezTits likes this.
  6. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Kirby wasn't a "big" game, it's a game about of Captain Toad magnitude; charming, but really short (40 levels, if memory serves)

2Hack and Nym5 like this.
  7. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Nintendo has given up completely, the Wii U lack of support is just the tip of the iceberg.
    Anyway I and my Wii U are going to be proven wrong during 2015. (That is just wishful thinking not even myself can take seriously)

DeezTits and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  8. dontay0100

dontay0100 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 18, 2007
    United States
    Spaltoon guys!! But overall I do feel like the Wii U has been dead for a long time. It had potential but too many things aren't up to date with Nintendo's business tactics..

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  9. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    lots of shit coming this year
    [​IMG]

10. Nym5

Nym5 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 18, 2014
    Brazil
    Please, let us not forget Xenoblade Chronicles X.
    In my opinion the biggest games to come out this year on Wii U will be Xenoblade, Zelda and Star Fox.
    If those games sells well it will not be a bad year for the Wii U. And those 3 games together are more than what I'm excited about for on PS4+Xone. There are a few games that I'm interested in those platforms but I'm not even sure if they come out this year.
    Plus, this entire generation is still lacking really and exciting good games in a general way.

silver_ryder and DeezTits like this.
  11. Haymose

Haymose GBAtemp Fan

Mar 24, 2014
    United States
    Nintendo hasn't given up. Hopefully they are focusing on fixing things like the NNID, system transfers, and all those other headaches. Let's not forget the New 3DS has the same buttons as the Gamepad, something big (hopefully) is coming. They gave up on third parties the same way they gave up on Nintendo. What can you do? I bought a PS4, best of both worlds.

DeezTits and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  12. DeezTits
    OP

DeezTits GBAtemp Regular

Sep 5, 2014
    United States
    Yes! I'm holding my breath in hopes the New 3DS will eventually have Gamecube (and maybe even more N64) ports and/or remakes.

13. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    What gave that away; the lack of third party support, mediocre library or low sale units? Pick your poison. The Wii U's a commercial failure.

Nintendo doesn't even give two fucks about the Wii U's games much in 2015 so much so they decided to release budget titles that aren't even home console games, i.e, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse and Mario Vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars but 3DS-type games. Mario Party 10's got 1/3 game mode locked until the user buys one of the amiibos or all for $116.

The only good games for Wii U coming out this year are just; Xenoblade X, Zelda, Devil's Third and Yoshi's World (it looks like it could be).

14. Haloman800

Haloman800 a real gril

Dec 18, 2009
    United States
    I hope the Wii U is hacked soon. I just want a WiiFlow like interface to play my games.

15. elmoemo

elmoemo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 4, 2012
    Amiibos is the same as Disney infinity but you know what you get when getting into it. As for games, I know what to expect from ninty and that's Zelda and Mario games, everything else I can do without or get on my Xbox one.

As you said its a complete commercial failure, it just feels super rushed.

Hope they learn for next gen of console. Games like you said and Mario maker all could be done on 3ds without being wasted on the Wii u (however the Mario and donkey Kong game is free for Wii u if you buy it for 3ds and vice versa)

16. bowser

bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

Sep 1, 2008
    India
    GBAtemp ↑↑↓↓← → ← →BA
    When Iwata himself is promoting games of Splatoon's calibre, it does not bode well for the Wii U.

Deboog likes this.
  17. TemplarGR

TemplarGR Gaming expert

Sep 2, 2011
    Greece
    I don't think Splatoon will be that good. Too much hype for a run of the mill multiplayer shooter. What is the highlight? Just the graphical style? Please...

Wii U will be dying a slow and painful death after 2015... No doubt Nintendo had many games planned for it, but quality HD games are costly and Wii U's userbase doesn't justify the investment. I believe many HD games in development will be moved on their fusion project...

18. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    The latest update for Splatoon says that it's a GamePad-controller only so unfortunately no Wii U Pro Controller or Wiimote/Nunchuk support. At best it lasts 8hrs but the WUPC lasts for 80hrs and it's super light-weight so Nintendo really screwed it up for a shooter.

19. laudern

laudern GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 14, 2010
    Rural Queensland
    Nintendo's next home console needs to lose the cd drive, be downloadable content only and be 100% subscription based with 3 Rd party companies included as a separate subscription. So you can either subscribe to just nintendo games, 3rd party games, or subscribe to both.

20. MarioFanatic64

MarioFanatic64 The guy who does things

Sep 13, 2009
    Nintendo haven't given up on the Wii U- they're just not trying with it. I knew that after the big Mario game of the generation for Wii U turned out to be a NSMB clone with cats. Then they've got the low-budget games like Captain Toad, Kirby, NSMBU, etc., which make up the core of the Wii U's catalog. As I've said before, Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. are the only great first party games on the system at the moment. Depending on how Zelda U develops, it might join the other two. The rest aren't bad- they're good. But good's not good enough. Nintendo needs to start reaching their old standard again.

Ryccardo, DeezTits and Nym5 like this.