Hacking Is NewEgg the cheapest place to buy SDHC mem cards?

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
looking for that 8gb card, wondering if any store beats newegg. was hoping to get rid of my 1gb

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know what flashcart you have, but if you have a CycloDS, AVOID the Transcend 8gig Class 6 like the plague. It's very flaky in the Cyclo, though it seems to work fine in other carts that support SDHC. I'm not even kidding. I know from personal experience and had 2 people confirm the issue in a Cyclo through PM. The Transcend 8gig Class 4 works fine in the Cyclo though, which is what I am using currently. I put the Class 6 in my cell phone where it has been working fine.

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Newegg is definitely the cheapest and most reliable US vendor I've found for flash memory.

I'd have no problem recommending the A-Data class 6 8G microSDHC that I've been using for a while. I had one bad experience with an A-Data 2G card, but this one has made up for it.

camintmier

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:
I don't know what flashcart you have, but if you have a CycloDS, AVOID the Transcend 8gig Class 6 like the plague.
I've got an 8GB Transcend Class 6 (From Newegg - Sold Out) in my CycloDS currently and haven't had a problem with it yet. The only problem I have had was inserting the card and getting the CycloDS to see it. But I'm pretty sure that's the CycloDS's fault, not the cards' fault. Probably a pin alignment issue when I insert it. If it happens, just take it out and insert it again. It'll work eventually.

The cheapest (Bang for your buck) I'm seeing on Newegg are the following.
As far as Newegg's reliability goes, I've had 60+ orders thru them go thru with absolutely no problems (1 problem with shipping, but that was UPS's fault).

I hope that helps you some.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow thanks for the kind replies! Anyway i got an acekard 2i, and a 1 GB card, which kinda sucks. I'm gonna maybe give it to a close friend and try to scoop out some cash for it. Please feel free to keep aiming more suggestions if you guys see any.

*EDIT* With this class 6 8GB im aimin at, will I possibly experience a slowdown in my acekard 2i or anything? I wanna close all my loopholes before I do anything stupid.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, not sure what garbage you are saying about the Transcend 8 gig. I have bought 4 of them (2 for friends with Cyclos, one for my Cyclo and one for my AceKard 2.1) and I have no troubles with any of them.

Rayder

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Transcend 8gig Class 6 that I bought (from Newegg) was flaky as hell in the CycloDS. The in-game menu would fail to come up or take forever to come up in most games. UMK (either region) wouldn't boot without deleting the save first, as crazy as that sounds, it's true. First time boot of games (where it creates the save file) would lock at "loading" until I rebooted.....sometimes. The card works perfectly fine in EVERYTHING else I ran it in and has NEVER corrupted or lost data. Every other microSD I've ran in the Cyclo (6 different ones) has worked fine, which consists of various 2gig cards and a Transcend 8gig Class 4 (which is what I currently run in it and it works perfectly, except PoR crashes...but that's a "problem game", so it doesn't count). Granted, the Class 6 was very snappy, I could play PoR no problem, but it was too flaky with the above issues for me to just leave it in the Cyclo.

I've had 2 other people PM me saying they had the EXACT same problems with that card, so I'm not just pulling BS out of my ass. In CycloDS's, I've heard of the same issues with A-Data Class 6 cards too at the TC forums, not to mention those same problems with many other Class 6 cards where the people didn't mention what microSD they were using......unfortunately the TC forums just happen to be down at the moment....naturally, or you could look for yourself and see that the problem DOES exist on Cyclo's. No one (including TC) seems to know why.

Now, it MIGHT be that the one I bought was just fruity somehow (even though it works with EVERYTHING else I've ever tried it in), or that my CycloDS (a version 3) just doesn't like it (but it works with EVERY other microSD I've tried in it), but the problem IS there and I'm NOT any kind of noob when it comes to flashcarts.

@jesterscourt, here is an interesting question, how much space was free on YOUR Transcend 8gig Class 6 after a format? Mine formatted to 7.47GB using a default Windows format. I've read that people who had problems had a different format size than people who didn't have problems, which is why I'm asking.

By contrast, my Transcend 8gig Class 4 formats to 7.60GB.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yipes Raydar! Thanks for the pro tips, and no I think ur an expert with cards compared to me. Are ADATA cards reliable? Or should I stick to better brands like Transcend/Kingston/Sandisk?

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
shadowhunter93 said:
Yipes Raydar! Thanks for the pro tips, and no I think ur an expert with cards compared to me. Are ADATA cards reliable? Or should I stick to better brands like Transcend/Kingston/Sandisk?
It's better to not get attached to a particular brand. We've been going over and over this since the microSD format was launched. Sandisk are almost always overpriced for what you get, but their Ultra cards are very good. Kingston has made great cards and crappy cards. This usually corresponds to the country of manufacture, but not always (Japan being better than Taiwan).

A-Data has produced great cards and not so great cards, but are generally reliable from what I've experienced (I have 2 I use right now). I've only ever had one bad experience with them, and that was when they changed to a slower 2G microSD card without changing the serial number. That was more an issue of false advertising than product quality.

In short, you need to research the specific card you want to buy, because results can and do vary within a brand. Try to find a reliable speed test for the specific card you're looking at, and make sure to pay attention to the Random Access Time, not just the read and write speed. Random Access Time has proven to be important when using microSD in a flashcart.

@Rayder, I still think the CycloDS issue with loading the in-game menu isn't necessarily isolated to the Transcend card, or class 6 cards. I just don't think we've seen enough controlled testing and reporting to figure out what the issue really is. There are too many variables to trust the random reports of the average user. I'm sure the issue does exist, and that it has happened on the card you mentioned. I just don't think the real cause and effect has been proven yet.

Rayder

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it might have something to do with read/write speeds. My Class 4 has roughly the same read/write speed, whereas the Class 6 had a significantly slower write than it had read. But I'm just guessing.

As for response time.....the class 6 is 0.8ms and the Class 4 is 1.6ms. Yet the ONLY game the Class 4 has an issue with is Castlevania PoR.
wacko.gif
But then again, I have by no means played all the DS ROMs.

I know one of the people that told me they had the same issue said the card worked just fine in their DSTT or EDGE (can't rem which it was), so it's definitely an issue with the Cyclo just being particular.

I wrote up a post at the TC forums (when they were still up) saying about the same thing I said in my previous reply and have never received any kind of response from TC directly about it, other than to try this-or-that from other members, which I had already done. TC themselves never actually responded. One thing someone there noticed is that cards that didn't work right formatted to a different size than the same brand that DID work right, which is why I asked about format size in my previous reply.

I have heard people complain about A-Data doing the same thing to them on Cyclo's, but I don't have any A-Data cards to test that.

OH, and I forgot one little tidbit of the flakiness I mentioned.....the Class 6 wouldn't allow a firmware update of the Cyclo to complete.
huh.gif

It's all pretty annoying to me because I bought that Class 6 FOR the CycloDS so I wouldn't have issues with any games. Boy did that backfire.
blush.gif

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yipes, that kinda sucks... sorry to hear that. And newegg's 16.49 transcend was taken off for sale and now at reg 17.49 price... T_T thats too bad.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
I think it might have something to do with read/write speeds. My Class 4 has roughly the same read/write speed, whereas the Class 6 had a significantly slower write than it had read. But I'm just guessing.

As for response time.....the class 6 is 0.8ms and the Class 4 is 1.6ms. Yet the ONLY game the Class 4 has an issue with is Castlevania PoR. wacko.gif But then again, I have by no means played all the DS ROMs.

I know one of the people that told me they had the same issue said the card worked just fine in their DSTT or EDGE (can't rem which it was), so it's definitely an issue with the Cyclo just being particular.

I wrote up a post at the TC forums (when they were still up) saying about the same thing I said in my previous reply and have never received any kind of response from TC directly about it, other than to try this-or-that from other members, which I had already done. TC themselves never actually responded. One thing someone there noticed is that cards that didn't work right formatted to a different size than the same brand that DID work right, which is why I asked about format size in my previous reply.

I have heard people complain about A-Data doing the same thing to them on Cyclo's, but I don't have any A-Data cards to test that.

OH, and I forgot one little tidbit of the flakiness I mentioned.....the Class 6 wouldn't allow a firmware update of the Cyclo to complete. huh.gif

It's all pretty annoying to me because I bought that Class 6 FOR the CycloDS so I wouldn't have issues with any games. Boy did that backfire. blush.gif

do write/red speeds have to possibly do with the sd reader? i sometimes hear that SD readers may cause really retarded things like that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/ngNaUaQOfPU