is my wiikey less useful than a backup loader?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by godsakes, May 27, 2009.

May 27, 2009
  1. godsakes
    OP

Member godsakes GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    i haven't been keeping up with wii hacking/homebrew that much but i've noticed the gamma backup loader seems to have less problems playing recent backups then the good old disc channel.

take Anno for instance, i just get a black screen but the backup loader loads just fine can some explain why the hardware hack isn't working these days?

(my wii is 3.2e)

2. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    if you load it through the disc channel, the system will try to run the game using the specified IOS. If that's not on the system, the game won't run. The backup loader will always run it using the cios.
    so the solution for the disc channel is to install the missing ios. Normally, the system would notice the missing ios and install it. But you've probably blocked disc updates

3. godsakes
    OP

Member godsakes GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    i do brickblock my discs

which app installs ios? - i remember i had to go through a process of downloading/installing ios before installing the backup loader

4. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    You can manually install an ios using wad manager. Just get the wad file from the ios you want to install. You can extract the wad from the game iso using wiiscrubber for example.
    Or use the latest Gecko OS (1.9.something). It can check which IOS is needed and install it.

5. WiiBlaster

Member WiiBlaster GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Just be very careful which ios's you install from the Disc using Wii Scrubber, only install the IOS you need, dont go install crazy, cause you might get your hands on a stubbed IOS and brick yourself.

6. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    it's good to have the wiikey to fall back on when the games simply will not work on loaders no matter what.