Is my Wii missing some IOS's?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by TheTwoR's, Sep 16, 2010.

Sep 16, 2010
  1. TheTwoR's
    OP

Member TheTwoR's Yay I can finally edit this thingy :D

Belgium
    Hey all.
    Got a Wii on 4.1U modded with Modmii or NUSA or whatever it's called now [​IMG]
    Anyway I was looking through the homebrew browser and found this thing called Wii MC that plays DVD's. I got it, it looks great but when I put the DVD in, it plays horribly with extreme lagging as well as choppy audio and drilling sounds. I tried putting frame drop to auto but that didn't help at all. I thought maybe I'll try getting MPlayer CE instead of Wii MC and well I put the DVD in, I select "Open..." in MPlayer. I then clicked on DVD, then play DVD ( or something like that you get the point. ) Anyway it then says it's mounting on the top left corner then the text goes and my Wii doesn't respond to any button I click, also meaning a freeze I guess. Tried it with different DVD's and movies but still it doesnt work. I'm guessing my Wii is missing some kind of IOS or something. Please help me [​IMG] thanks.

2. OriginalHamster

Member OriginalHamster UStealthy

Chile
    No, it's a problem with the app or movie itself, it has nothing to do with IOS. It's known that DVD movie play could generate some lag and freezing problems.

3. TheTwoR's
    OP

Belgium
    So, is there no solution?
    I'll never be able to play DVD movies on it or something?
    Sorry super Wii nub here [​IMG]

4. daxtsu

Member daxtsu -

Antarctica
    I wouldn't recommend playing DVD movies on the Wii. It's pretty crappy at doing that. If you have a USB drive, try ripping the DVD movie into an AVI file or something and playing from that, maybe?

5. TheTwoR's
    OP

Belgium
    I would do that with pirated movies, but I have most of mine on discs.
    Don't want to have to rip each one =/
    I remember before I formatted my Wii, I had MPlayer CE and it played DVD's like a charm.
    After I formatted it, it doesn't really work o_o
    But thanks for your help anyway.

6. xzxero

Member xzxero ♥bong milk does good for the brain♥

United States
    do you have the latest homebrew channel installed along with IOS58?

7. Cubed

Newcomer Cubed Member

Sweden
    I'm kind of in the same situation.. When I saw that the Homebrew channel was using ios37, I tried to install ios58 with the ios58 installer. But the Homebrew channel says it's still using ios37. Why? =( I want to use USB 2.0. Thanks in advance!

8. Yuan

Member Yuan GBAtemp Maniac

Brazil
    Reinstall it and it will use the correct IOS.

9. Cubed

Newcomer Cubed Member

Sweden
    Ok, I ran the ios58 installer again.. it told me the Wii uses ios37 and installed ios58 again. Same result as before, Homebrew channel still uses ios37. Thanks for the input though! This is strange. I'm using a USB stick if that's got to do with anything.

10. Yuan

Member Yuan GBAtemp Maniac

Brazil
    Well, sorry for don't explain it well. But you will need to reinstall the Homebrew Channel, not IOS58.

11. Cubed

Newcomer Cubed Member

Sweden
    Aha, I understand now.. will look into that, I guess I have to be careful when reinstalling the HBC. Thanks! =)

Edit: Yes, this did the trick.. big thanks Yuan!

12. Crass

Member Crass Rock me Dr. Zaius

United States
    Its not that hard, download the Bootmii installer, run it, uninstall HBC (takes a few seconds) then takes you back to the menu where you can install it again, this all takes like 30 seconds, is not difficult, and unless you shut your wii off in the middle of something it is not dangerous at all.

While your at it might as well remove DVDx since all homebrew is moving towards IOS58 for dvd loading.

13. xzxero

Member xzxero ♥bong milk does good for the brain♥

United States
    i thought all homebrew was moving towards HW_AHBPROT for DVD loading and IOS58 for USB2.0 speeds

14. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    Wii itself is not powerful enough to handle RAW DVD. You need to convert it to another format and downscale it to 480p for smoother playback.

15. TheTwoR's
    OP

Belgium
    Alright... :/
    But thanks for answering.

(Strangely enough, I can really swear it worked just fine with MPlayer CE on my old Wii.)