Is my Wii HDD dead?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by sekhu, May 9, 2009.

May 9, 2009

Is my Wii HDD dead? by sekhu at 8:54 PM (754 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. sekhu
    OP

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    I have hdd that I used in an extrenal case. However, I use it for the Wii and it was crashing because of spin down. I followed this guide to turn off/ modify the spin down. I had connected my drive to the computer via an ide cable.

I formatted it, and then unplugged it after turning the PC off. I then placed the drive back in its external casing, and loaded up vista to get to the disk management area. Windows tells me it needs to initialise the disk, so I click yes but then it gives me the following error:

The operation failed to complete because the disk management console view is not up to date. Refresh the view by using the refresh task. If the problem persists close the Disk Management console then restart Disk Management or restart the computer.

I've done what it's suggested, including restarting the computer, refreshing the view, closing and loading up disk management again, but I still cannot intitalise the disk. After that error if I try to intialise the disk I get the following error:

Logical Disk Manager: Incorrect Function

Is it the end of the drive? It's new-ish I've only had it a few months, though it is an OEM drive so I think the warranty is only 90 days in the UK?

Thanks in advance

2. sekhu
    OP

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    bump - can anyone shed some light on a solution on what to do to resolve this?

thanks

3. Alexrose

Member Alexrose Untitled

United Kingdom
    Post in Wii Hacking?

4. sekhu
    OP

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    Yeh aI'm not sure if this is suitable for wii hacking but I've put in a request to have it moved. I can't format the drive to wbfs, since I Can't even initialise the drive or format it in Windows. I've done the spindown fix with hdparm business, could that have fucked up the drive?