Gaming Is my Wii done for?

Steak_Eater

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have one hell of a problem. Around 2010, my brother installed the Homebrew Channel (I think) and the Backup Launcher Channel onto my Wii. He told me not to do a system update, saying the two channels wouldn't work if I did. I never wanted either (lol), so about a year or less later, I updated it. It started giving me trouble, no A/V when I tried to boot it + unresponsive Wii remote. My Wii was later taken apart to put in a bluetooth module, and I think that solved the problem for a while.

Now, I dusted off my Wii since I bought the Metroid Prime Trilogy months ago and am ready to play it, but the blackscreen is back to haunt me. I thought I could delete the files off the SD card in case they're the source of the problem, but I opened up the little window to take it out and the SD card wasn't even in there. I'm not sure what happened there. :blink: If it helps, the power brick makes a squeaky sound until I unplug it from the outlet. Is there anything I can do at all?

Thanks in advance. :sad:

MaGosT

Trophies
XP
Country
Would you know if any IOS were modified/Removed by your brother or was all he did install those 2 channels?
If so, it's most likely hardware related - hearing you replacing the Bluetooth module already kinda points into a general HW issue in your Wii as those rarely need replacement from my experience..

Do other games work fine or are all games affected?
Does the system menu load fine?

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
Trophies
XP
Country
Sounds like the system files on your Wii are in a washy state. I'd recommend downloading IOSes with ModMii and reinstalling all essential IOSes as well as the cIOS. If that doesn't fix the problem then it's most likely a hardware issue.

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I'd like to mod my Wii so it will only boot if the SD card is in it. Using it sort of like a key.
If you figure this out, please let me be first informed! :D I have paranoia on my Wii. I don't want someone to stumble in my Wii and brick it!

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
If you figure this out, please let me be first informed! :D I have paranoia on my Wii. I don't want someone to stumble in my Wii and brick it!
Make a NAND backup with BootMii, and keep it somewhere safe on your PC, or in the cloud. Both couldn't hurt, but you'll be able to reflash your NAND in case of a brick. :)

Steak_Eater

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, sorry for the bump. Thanks for all your replies. Here's an update: I had my Wii checked out at a local store last year and was told that there was nothing wrong with it (strangely), and that it might be the power brick. I simply bought another one and it worked fine for the... ~20 times I booted it up. Unfortunately, this changed just yesterday and it's back to having those same issues all over again. I have a spare Wii, but I would very much rather only use this one since I like going back to SSBB and Mario Kart Wii from time to time, and I know that its save data can't be transferred by normal means.

Would you know if any IOS were modified/Removed by your brother or was all he did install those 2 channels?
If so, it's most likely hardware related - hearing you replacing the Bluetooth module already kinda points into a general HW issue in your Wii as those rarely need replacement from my experience..

Do other games work fine or are all games affected?
Does the system menu load fine?
Does the black screen appear when you try to start the game, or when you turn on the Wii?
I asked and he says the bolded is most likely the case. 99% of the time when this problem occurs I can't even get to the health warning screen before the Wii Menu. I turn it on and get a nice "no signal" from my TV and unresponsive remotes. When I got it to work by pure luck over time, it crashed once when booting up Metroid Prime Trilogy, and another time when opening the Wii save data screen on two different occasions.

Sounds like the system files on your Wii are in a washy state. I'd recommend downloading IOSes with ModMii and reinstalling all essential IOSes as well as the cIOS. If that doesn't fix the problem then it's most likely a hardware issue.
Is there a way to restore it to how it was pre-mod? :( If not, I'll see what I can do about this and follow your advice.

Thanks again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: a