Gaming Is my Pokemon Platinum original? Help :)

Zuljaras

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
scr 1.jpg
scr 2.jpg
Hello everyone!

I bought Pokemon Platinum and I opened it because I wanted to know if it was original. Everything else points that it is authentic even the registering code in the paperwork whowed me in the nintendo club that it is Pokemon Platinum. However I know that the pokemon games uses MX chips inside and this one has other kind of chip. It has the nintendo logo printed on it but the chip is Sandisk not MX.

I have attached 2 detailed photos of the cartridge and its chip. Could someone please explain to me why the chip is different?

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it seems legit. The pins are usually a dead giveaway of a fake, along with sticker flaws and PCB cheapness, like epoxy blob chips instead of actual ICs.

Zuljaras

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, it seems legit. The pins are usually a dead giveaway of a fake, along with sticker flaws and PCB cheapness, like epoxy blob chips instead of actual ICs.
Thank you. However I still don't know why the chip is not MX like the other Pokemon games? Or most other pokemon games? I did not open all of them :D

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
it sure looks original... i have mine here to compare, but its european and i can't open it because i am scared of breaking it... but it has gold contacts, nintendo logo the pcb sure looks normal

however, when i used rudolphs tool to backup my pokemon games, it detects pearl and diamond as 4Mbits, and my platinum as 2Mbits... i get really confused with this since platinum is an upgrade and even got more stuff...
i don't know how rudolphs tool detects the save, but this should mean something...

PS: on the picture the pokemon stripes on the background are pixelated, is the bad camera out the sticker is really pixelated? if i look closer on my cartridge i can't see any pixels...

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Thank you. However I still don't know why the chip is not MX like the other Pokemon games? Or most other pokemon games? I did not open all of them :D
I don't think it matters, take the 3DS for example, there are several different chips used for the NAND, it just depends on which one they have available at the moment of manufacture.

Zuljaras

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
it sure looks original... i have mine here to compare, but its european and i can't open it because i am scared of breaking it... but it has gold contacts, nintendo logo the pcb sure looks normal

however, when i used rudolphs tool to backup my pokemon games, it detects pearl and diamond as 4Mbits, and my platinum as 2Mbits... i get really confused with this since platinum is an upgrade and even got more stuff...
i don't know how rudolphs tool detects the save, but this should mean something...

PS: on the picture the pokemon stripes on the background are pixelated, is the bad camera out the sticker is really pixelated? if i look closer on my cartridge i can't see any pixels...
The image was resized twice by 50%. Maybe that is the cause because the originqls were way too big. I alsp have the eur versions of black, white 2, diamond, pearl and this one is usa. The box is canadian according to the internet it has 2 languages on it. As for the chip thatn you for the clarification. I thought that all pokemon games should have mx printed on their chips.

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
The image was resized twice by 50%. Maybe that is the cause because the originqls were way too big. I alsp have the eur versions of black, white 2, diamond, pearl and this one is usa. The box is canadian according to the internet it has 2 languages on it. As for the chip thatn you for the clarification. I thought that all pokemon games should have mx printed on their chips.

(see last paragraph if text is too big)

now i wanted an explanation why rudolphs tool detect my platinum cartridge as 2mbits and detects pearl and diamond at 4mbits...

my guess is, platinum come out later, and ruldophs tool get outdated and it doesn't have platinum cataloged or actually sees a diferent chip...

when i backuped my game i tried to search about this everywhere but couldn't get an answer..
i will try some experiences with the saves...

ANYWAY a very good way to check if the cartridge is the real deal is to use pokemon black\white\black2\white2 transfer tool (catch random 6 pokemon on platinum first), but i am not sure if it works if games are from different regions.. however give it a try, if it works then it is legit...
OTHER THING YOU CAN TRY is using wii games (like pokepark) and transfer from platinum.. nintendo usually makes games that connec to others to don't work with counterfeit cartridges..

Zuljaras

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I will but i guess i have to advance in pokemon black story right now im in driftveil city. Other than that the game really seems legit but i needed the confirmation from more experienced people.

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
I will but i guess i have to advance in pokemon black story right now im in driftveil city. Other than that the game really seems legit but i needed the confirmation from more experienced people.
if the sticker is not pixelated, i can tell you the shell is legit, it has the exact same plastic and exact same colour

as for the pcb, there is no glue on it, it even has the nintendo logo wich is not needed ( why would a counterfeit copy have the nintendo logo inside the case? its not visible outside, and the DS games are a bit hard to open (on the old cartridges you just had a screw) there is no reason someone who would print a nintendo logo inside a shell that probably will never be opened, specially with gold paint...

as like user above me said, diferent brand chips can be used (the 3ds nand being an example) this is what its called a revision of hardware, little changes\improvements that are made.. lots of times to reduce cost...

there is another case.. you can have a reburshed cartridge... it can be a cartridge that come out from the factory with a faulty memory.. then it was sent to nintendo repair center... and that type of chip is the ones they have available there...

this is what a counterfeit looks like:
Notice the black circle, and no nintendo logo, there is no use of a nintendo logo printed inside)
(left fake, right real)
also, this is not a pokemon game... but i had a fake pokemon gold for gbc, and it also had the black circle thing and weird looking
2013-08-04-20.34.54.jpg

2013-08-04-20.35.05.jpg

Zuljaras

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you all. I have a brand new Pokemon Black bought right from the store and the sticker quality is the same :) I was just wondering about the chip that is all :)

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Thank you all. I have a brand new Pokemon Black bought right from the store and the sticker quality is the same :) I was just wondering about the chip that is all :)
i hope it helped, update this thread when you test the game with black2 transfer tool, or wii pokepark\box games

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"