Is my N3DS 9.2J or lower? (non-XL)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by CrispyYoshi, Sep 11, 2015.

1. CrispyYoshi
    OP

CrispyYoshi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 20, 2010
    United States
    I don't want to power it on just yet: I want to know if it's worth installing a hardmod on the N3DS before booting it up, and I have it sitting here after having come through the mail.

Is there a way to tell what firmware this thing is like the ones in this thread?

2. calebsw

calebsw GBAtemp Regular

Jul 25, 2015
    United States
    There's no harm in turning it on, you can always just factory reset it if you want. the hard mod is not dependent upon having a brand new factory fresh unit. In answer to your question, being that this is not a popular destination for japanese gamers, you'd probably have better luck searching the first 6 of your serial number on google or whatever japanese popular search engine there is.

3. CrispyYoshi
    OP

Mar 20, 2010
    United States
    Thanks for the quick reply, and I'll try to search on some JP search engines. Though, I'm actually more concerned about the dumped NAND.bin, because I heard rumors that it tweaks the NAND upon the initial boot: I'm only trying to preserve it for research purposes, but if that rumor turns out to be false then I won't hesitate to check on the actual system.

However, I am also unsure if I want to bother installing a hard mod if the system turns out being higher than 9.2J firmware.

EDIT: If it helps to know, my N3DS serial number (on the actual system itself) says "YJF103..." and is a white model.

4. r5xscn

r5xscn Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 8, 2014
    Indonesia
    This thread is the one that you are looking for. It contains some firmware and serial number information of N3DS (XL). The data mostly old data when the N3DS was launched.

5. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    you'll get more help searching on gbatemp that some japanese sites i'm quite sure :)

Last edited by cearp, Sep 12, 2015
  6. CrispyYoshi
    OP

Mar 20, 2010
    United States
    Thank you! Although I did find this thread, and my serial "YJF103..." isn't on the list. I'd assume I had a <9.2J firmware but the serial numbers may not work like I think they do.

@cearp I'm not really sure what you're trying to say here.

7. CrispyYoshi
    OP

Mar 20, 2010
    United States
    I caved and decided to power on anyway. My N3DS, serial no. YJF1033XXXX X, runs Ver. 8.1.0-0J.

KennyWYL and calebsw like this.
  8. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    you were making it seem like beacuse it is a japanese 3ds, that you will find better/extra information on japanese websites. but, gbatemp really is the best website for 3ds hacking, from a user's perspective.

9. fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    Japanese and hacking dont really compute.
    Best luck youll have is here, in the cosy GBATemp forums <3

10. Newest Nick Team

Newest Nick Team GBAtemp Regular

Nov 28, 2014
    United States
    You don't wanna know. :P
    It's compatible with Gateway. :)

Don't think for NinjHAX though. :(