Is my metroid fusion a bootleg?

Discussion in 'GBA - Console and Game Discussions, Help and Tips' started by solidox2k, Jun 22, 2010.

Jun 22, 2010
  1. solidox2k
    OP

Newcomer solidox2k Newbie

United States
    So I have a copy of Metroid Fusion for the GBA and the case looks legit, but when I open it up, there's a battery soldered to the PCB. Now from what I've always heard, all GBA games used flash memory to save games, and that a battery inside is a sure sign of a bootleg. Whats odd is that the watch battery has a *red* insulated rim, instead of the usual bootleg yellow. Some bootlegs lately have been printing fake Nintendo copyright info on their PCBs in the same place as well, so I can't go by that either.

[​IMG]

Any Ideas?

2. Zombie_X

Member Zombie_X GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Not sure but I have a copy of metroid fusion and will open it up and let you know what the innards look like. I gotta find the proper screwdriver first...

3. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
  4. Takeshi

Member Takeshi GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    Metroid Fusion uses SRAM v112 - 256 kbit and therefore needs a battery, otherwise you'd lose the save if the GBA is powered off. GBA games that don't require a battery to hold the save are using EEPROM. So the battery itself is no indication that this is a bootleg.

edit:
    Mine looks the same and it's definitely not a Bootleg.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

5. solidox2k
    OP

United States
    @Gordinio: haha yea, not exactly habit for me to post the same question on 2 different sites, but seemed like I'd get a quicker response here... wasn't expecting this quickly tho [​IMG]

Thanks for the quick replies. Glad to see someone else's copy is same way. yea I thought GBA games all used EEPROM... I assume thats denoted by "256k FRAM" on the PCB in later/other games, instead of the "256k SRAM". I started to worry about my Metroid after find a few other games in my collection were bootlegs... for some reason you feel almost insulted when that happens lol =/

6. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Sadly an easy way to know a bootleg without even opening is most the fraud jerks don't even bother (if any, unsure) pressing ÂDate Nintendo on the board either.

7. solidox2k
    OP

United States
    Yep, tho I have come across a few that did the stamp before... the font was totally wrong but they did try. And it's the thought that counts right? [​IMG] Another couple of dead giveaways is the "lip" on the front of the case not being long enough, and completely wrong labels on the front. Sometimes it's hard to tell, and then sometimes it's like they don't even try :wtf: lol

Ebay has become a rampant noob playground for bootleggers. I hadn't used the site for years until just recently, I never knew how bad a problem it had become... On a whim I checked a local GameStop, sure enough even they had several fakes sitting there with the rest. Now that's ridiculous. Probably from people selling off their ebay fails after finding out they were ripped... so sad.

8. DunkrWunkah

Member DunkrWunkah GBAtemp's Official Dunkr

United States
    I've seen some bootlegged copies of Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire that used Red and Blue cases.

9. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Both in KY and here now back in CA again I do hit up fleamarket/swapmeets and I've seen a good many frauds. I even picked up one at a gamestop out in KY like a year ago I think as it was that good so I know the ÂNIntendo can be in there and hell it was right. Ultimately they went with a slightly different color and moved an emblem elsewhere on a quality sticker so I didn't know it was a fraud until I fired it up and gold the old Mario Bros 'MODE 7' intro greet and I was pissed.

Needless to say things to watch for:
    - Cheap paper labels without laminate
    - If it's got the wrong ESRB rating or missing.
    - If the 'seal' is missing for Nintendo or their name
    - Obviously blocky imagery or colors that look off (not from sun damage)
    - The ÂDate Nintendo thing with the right font, usually missing though
    - The plastic case sometimes the gray is not the right color Nintendo uses
    - The plastic case again of the game, sometimes Gameboy Advance is not fully written or done weird
    - Overly snug or loose fit of the plastic case your game is housed when going in the system
    - Anything saying X in 1 cart with a bunch of shitty images

That's most the good ones to watch for, also why I will never buy a hand held game on ebay again as they got really main stream outright fraud like at least 5 years ago so I gave up unless I can see the physical game I won't buy it.

10. Centrix

Member Centrix Stop Poking the Moogle!

United States
    When I worked at Gamestop we use to get them in all the time, Pokemon bootlegs...lol, I thought it was funny when a new employee wouldn't catch it and try to take it in!...lol