Hacking Is my hard drive spinning down?

daddu3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I've noticed that my hard drive's maybe getting old or something because now when I try to play some games like Mario Kart Wii or Super Mario Galaxy, the music would stop at certain parts in both games or they would freeze to some certain screens. And everytime this happens, the hard drive starts to blink irregularly and makes wierd clicking noise.
My hard drive's HP Pocket Media Drive 160GB.

Is this the issue of what many call "hard drive spindown"? Because Mario Kart Wii worked for me well before but now it's messing up. Super Mario Galaxy's also unplayable (and mind you, I have the original disc but it's scratched unplayable now so I tried to rip it from the disk and put in the USB as a backup)

LockeCole_101629

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I would not say it spinning down, since it's HDD and not SSD, ofcourse it will spin down and only using maximum speed when it needs.

unfortunately if you can hear ticking sound, it came from reader of disk, so well.. your hdd is broken (or dying), if you can access it on your pc, and do backup, do it now.
if you can't... time to buy another drive.

daddu3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Really, is that so? Gosh, I don't like the sound of that. At least the other games still work fine but trying to install these new games isn't very effective anymore. I try some more times before I can confirm HDD might be dying out.

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Always keep 2 backups of everything and it's now time to invest in a new external drive and back everything up onto it ASAP unless you feel like loosing all the data on that drive. If there's ticking already you'll be lucky if you can backup the drive before it's dead.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt