Is my hard drive dying?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by duffmmann, Apr 26, 2011.

Apr 26, 2011

Is my hard drive dying? by duffmmann at 3:52 AM (711 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. duffmmann
    OP

Member duffmmann GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Alright, my 500gb hard drive has lasted me a good long time now, about 2 and a half years, about 300 gb are wbfs partition, the other 200 FAT.

Now, as far as I can tell, my FAT partition is still working fantastically, but this could be because the files I use on their are smaller than the games on WBFS. Regardless, roms, homebrew, videos, DLC all still load correctly from my fat partition.

However, ever since I added Conduit 2 (which I don't think is the cause, but this is as soon as the problem started), when I play my games, including Conduit 2, they still work and load up like normal. And many games I've not seen the issue with. But other games like Brawl, Galaxy 2, and Conduit 2 will play for a few minutes, but then the game will crash. On brawl I get the error that the disc is damaged.

All my files are still there, and I can restart games and play them for the most part fine (but again, after a few minutes they'll crash). Some wiiware games on my usb nand wont load anymore though (Megaman 10 was the last one I tried that wouldn't load). My gut is telling me that my hard drive is just dying, its gotten a lot of use, and has constantly been in a sleep mode as well, so I guess it wouldn't really surprise me, as I have heard this would be a possibility. But I guess I'm just asking if maybe there is a smaller solution that I didn't think of. I don't really want to buy a new hard drive, but at the same time it would be nice to update to 1tb as I'm just about out of room.

Has anyone else experienced issues like these?

2. FIX94

Global Moderator FIX94 Global Moderator

Germany
    That's a problem with the WBFS partition. You should switch to FAT32 or NTFS (I prefer NTFS for the games).

3. duffmmann
    OP

Member duffmmann GBAtemp Addict

United States
    It is? I mean like I said I've been running games off of WBFS fine now for over 2 and a half years. Can the WBFS partition simply fail over time?

Regardless I really doubt anyone knows of a solution that both transfers my wbfs games into the FAT partition all the while having the WBFS partition changed to FAT. Because otherwise it will be a hassle to transfer the games to the computer, change some of the WBFS partition to FAT, then transfer the games back to the FAT partition, delete them from my computer then add more games from the WBFS partition and repeat the process over and over. (My computer has maybe 50 gb free left on it)