Hacking Is my friend's Wii already Hacked?

JN_big3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Guys, my friend just bought a Wii from a store for a cheap price. The normal price of a brand new Wii is about P11,000 or about $200 - $220 but he bought a second hand Wii for P5,000 or about $100 - $120. The one who sold the Wii told us that the Wii hasn't been modified. And when he got home with the Wii, he just noticed that it was Japan version and not US version. So he brought the Wii to me for a conversion of the Wii. But when I look at the Wii settings it says "3.2U". And then I told him that it was already converted unless the unit is really US. So we looked at the bottom of the Wii, and the words there were written in Japanese. For what I know, you can't convert a Wii unless you have soft-modded it or hard-modded it. Also in the Wii menu, He has like three same channels of the Forecast channel and the News channel. One is in Japan, and both are in English. We can't delete them even if I go to the Channels. Also I tried to look if there is any chance if there is Homebrew in it, but none. Please help us!!

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Sorry, i don't know all dos and don'ts for region changed Wiis, but here are a few things you can safely do:
1. Install HBC using bannerbomb
2. Install a cIOS just like you do on other Wiis(but really just that, no "rehack your Wii completely with ModMii" or update to 4.3 or whatever)
3. Use AnyTitle Deleter to delete the additional channels, but really only channels, leave the system menu and the IOS alone
4. Use USB loaders to play your games and leave the system menu as it is

GrahamWatts

Trophies
XP
yeah i had duplicate channels so i removed them with anytitle deleter but use with caution as you can brick your wii

Luigi2012SM64DS

G-old member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
use modmii to hack your wii then update to 4.1u (using mmm) then use any title deleter to delete the japanese channels and enjoy your wii as it really is us

snikerz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Lesotho
use modmii to hack your wii then update to 4.1u (using mmm) then use any title deleter to delete the japanese channels and enjoy your wii as it really is us
Very bad advice. It's a NTSC/J Wii that has been region changed. I would recommend the OP to follow WiiPower's instructions and avoid ModMii.

nunavat2010

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No suggestion for OP
3. Use AnyTitle Deleter to delete the additional channels, but really only channels, leave the system menu and the IOS alone
AnyTitle Deleter (at least the version I have) does some error checking, it would not let you delete IOS and let you delete only unnecessary stuff. I tried this with only one wii, your mileage...

WiiPower knows what he is talking about and I would go with his suggestion.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Very bad advice. It's a NTSC/J Wii that has been region changed. I would recommend the OP to follow WiiPower's instructions and avoid ModMii.
WHY?!?!? If the wii is correctly region changed then there should be no problem using modmii to get the wii up to speed.

No matter what, a nand backup is needed before doing anythign else (the OP can get it after installing bootmii from the hackmii installer (which it is safe to do)).

The_Dragons_Mast

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
Well there should be no reason to not use Modmii as it installs by default a patched ios 60 in ios 70 & 80 slots to prevent the 003 brick so in fact it should be encouraged but he should still better stay at 4.1 since updating further is meaningless .

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
WHY?!?!? If the wii is correctly region changed then there should be no problem using modmii to get the wii up to speed.

No matter what, a nand backup is needed before doing anythign else (the OP can get it after installing bootmii from the hackmii installer (which it is safe to do)).

I just i rembered one of the don'ts: Do not update a region changed Wii to 4.2 or higher, if the Wii was a korean Wii. That should result in a nice 003 error brick. And the nand backup will only help people with really old Wiis or if they got too much time. Without BootMii boot2, you 1. must not restore ANY nand backup, no matter how bad the condition of your Wii is, and 2. in case a brick, you'll need a nand programmer to restore the nand backup. Seriously, why provoke a brick?

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
updating all IOS's is always recommended to help prevent from accidental updates or a need to update from anything other than modmii.

I just i rembered one of the don'ts: Do not update a region changed Wii to 4.2 or higher, if the Wii was a korean Wii. That should result in a nice 003 error brick. And the nand backup will only help people with really old Wiis or if they got too much time. Without BootMii boot2, you 1. must not restore ANY nand backup, no matter how bad the condition of your Wii is, and 2. in case a brick, you'll need a nand programmer to restore the nand backup. Seriously, why provoke a brick?
Are you serious? Do you really know what you are saying, or are you just saying things that you've heard. Even with a korean region changed wii, the person is still safe going to 4.3x using modmii. Not restoring a nand backup?!?!?!? How the hell can anyone go wrong to restoring a wii to a working state? This is not the xbox 360 where efuses get burned. Please rethink what you are saying with logic before spewing off garbage that may hinder someone in their overall goal.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I'll never understand why people here suggest updating past 4.1. All they are doing is chancing a brick. Thankfully it's become standard to install IOS60 into slot 70 and 80 so when people do listen to idiotic suggestions, they won't brick, but that doesn't change the fact that there is nothing to gain from it. Even worse is when people say you should install a clean SM IOS, because you are risking the same thing (if it's updated) for no gain.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Your arguments to stay on 4.1 seem rather invalid to me and many other people.
If you are talking about a virgin wii, then yes 4.1 is better than 4.3, but if the wii has priiloader installed then all caveats of 4.3 are easily overcome.
I personally disagree with your advice of staying on 4.1, but that is my opinion.
I find this as a pointless argument bc you will never agree with the way that other people see it, but maybe you have soe info that I have not bothered to look at. But as long as the wii is updated using modmii's solutions then there is not fear.

Please feel free to rebut this and enlighten me on anything that I've missed. But in the end, a nand backup (and $60 :D) is all thats needed to get the wii working again.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
If you are talking about a virgin wii, then yes 4.1 is better than 4.3, but if the wii has priiloader installed then all caveats of 4.3 are easily overcome.
I personally disagree with your advice of staying on 4.1, but that is my opinion.
I find this as a pointless argument bc you will never agree with the way that other people see it, but maybe you have soe info that I have not bothered to look at. But as long as the wii is updated using modmii's solutions then there is not fear.

Please feel free to rebut this and enlighten me on anything that I've missed. But in the end, a nand backup (and $60 :D) is all thats needed to get the wii working again.
Priiloader won't do you any good if you update, since it's removed. There is also no argument for risking an update, unless you are Nintendo. Well, DacoTaco told me that he suggests it because people who "region raped their Wii" get what they deserve, but I don't really consider that an argument.

If you want to update your own Wii, that's fine. I don't see the point, but it's up to you because you own it. What I don't like is people suggesting to others that they update and/or install an unpatched SM IOS. You are risking someone else's Wii with that pointless advice. In the end, it's better to just not risk a brick.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
@ DeadlyFoez:
I did not know that ModMii automatically patches IOS if you tell it you want to update to 4.3. I don't use this function -> i don't know what it does -> i won't advise to use it.(which does not mean that it needs to be dangerous, i just don't know)

And about restoring a nand:
Seriously? "spewing off garbage"? Situation: Only BootMii IOS installed. Wii is able to execute BootMii IOS(=not bricked). Restore a nand backup and then some tiny error occurs, a sd card problem, power cut, bad sector problem or whatever. In which condition is the Wii then? I read at least one report where exactly this happened, since then i advise strongly against using the nand restore function of BootMii IOS.

I know that you can fix such a brick, but 99.99% of people can't and at least prefer not to need to send their Wii to somebody to fix it.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States

Priiloader won't do you any good if you update, since it's removed. There is also no argument for risking an update, unless you are Nintendo. Well, DacoTaco told me that he suggests it because people who "region raped their Wii" get what they deserve, but I don't really consider that an argument.

If you want to update your own Wii, that's fine. I don't see the point, but it's up to you because you own it. What I don't like is people suggesting to others that they update and/or install an unpatched SM IOS. You are risking someone else's Wii with that pointless advice. In the end, it's better to just not risk a brick.

You'd have a decent argument if there was a 4.4 or 5.0 update, but since that is not ever going to happen, people are risking more by having a SM that can be updated by staying on a lower version.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
You'd have a decent argument if there was a 4.4 or 5.0 update, but since that is not ever going to happen, people are risking more by having a SM that can be updated by staying on a lower version.
How so? Updates are blocked in every common hacking guide, so the just about chance of people updating these days is when someone on here says to update. Are you saying, to avoid updating, you should update? Lol.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
How so? Updates are blocked in every common hacking guide, so the just about chance of people updating these days is when someone on here says to update. Are you saying, to avoid updating, you should update? Lol.
Are you saying to avoid an update to stay on a lower version than what N's servers dish out?

Yes, to avoid an unexpected update, stay on the latest SM. How is my thinking (plus many many many others thinking) better than yours.

I'm not trying to argue with you, but please enlighten me on something that I seem to have obviously missed.

I could fully agree with you if modmii changed every SM to the highest version possible to completely block any potential update, but that is not the case.

There seems to be (at least by my logic) more possible error by staying on an older SM since it has the potential to be updated, thus also removing buggy priiloader.

But by your logic, if priiloader is blocking updates, then how can someone go wrong by being on the newest SM that will not ever get overwritten (in the foreseeable future(or ever, in reality)).

Yes, I know about the region caveats of the newer SM's, but the chance of risking someone to stay on an older SM and accidentally get updated and lose everything because they trusted on yor ideas when in reality they have nothing to los by going to the newest SM and playing it safe and never have the chance of priiloader getting overwritten.

Your argument seems rather void to me.

JN_big3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I'll just try AnyTitleDeleter MOD to delete those channels. I actually updated that Wii to 4.2U

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't really see the point in updating it tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right, I thought about updating my PS3 CFW to 4.91, but why really, everything plays fine now. I guess for people that have already updated past 4.9 it would be helpful.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Idk if online servers are still active that would be my only thought
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Thats true, personally I don't play it online at all, in fact, I deleted all wifi details on it once I installed CFW, so it won't connect and auto-update itself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I play most games that are on both PS3/360 strickly on the 360, but PS3 exclusives are really only games I play on the PS3 (You know me, I'm more of a Xbox junkie)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps3 really has no titles worth going online over nps is the only reason you'd want wifi
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    what is nps?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, what about GTA v onl... O Yea the PS3 versión got discontinued
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, what about GTA v onl... O Yea the PS3 versión got discontinued