Is my battery going?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by epicelite, Jun 6, 2008.

Jun 6, 2008

Is my battery going? by epicelite at 1:49 AM (2,166 Views / 0 Likes) 22 replies

1. epicelite
    OP

Member epicelite Equal opportunity ass kicker.

United States
    Well my DS lite will not last longer then 2 hours before the battery LED turns red, then it lasts around 30-45 minutes.

I just noticed this too, is it because I am playing lameboy on my DS? I do not think that would make battery life shorter tho.

2. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    How old is your NintendoDS/Battery, what flashcard and MicroSD card do you use and also when you play your Nintendo DS, have you ever let the battery run out of power?

3. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    DS batteries only last for like 1 4/5 hours after 3 years. No biggie for me but you can get new ones at the Nintendo store, or unofficial ones at DealExtreme

4. epicelite
    OP

United States
    DS lite, same battery it had in it when I bought it the day they came out. I would say it is 2 years old or more I guess.

Also I always wait till it is red before I charge it because I heard that makes it last longer.

Also
    R4 DS with a 2GB Kingston microSD, I know it is a real Kingston because I got it at Fry's electronics and not deal extreme lolz.

DX is cool tho, but sometimes there "genuine" stuff is not really "genuine".

So should I get a new battery?

5. wilddenim

Member wilddenim Candy!

United Kingdom
    Have you changed your brightness?

6. Ferrariman

Canada
    Unless you are on the go a lot, I think you can live with it.

7. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    You had your DS Lite for over 2 years and been playing a flash card on it. I'd definitely say that it's dying out.

8. Narin

United States
    As it states, with constant use and through aging, the batteries life span decreases each year, up to 20%. So your battery may only be at 50-60% of its original capacity. Hence why it only lasts for 2-3 hours now.

Guidelines for prolonging Li-ion battery life
    • Unlike Ni-Cd batteries, lithium-ion batteries should be charged early and often. However, if they are not used for a long time, they should be brought to a charge level of around 40% - 60%. Lithium-ion batteries should not be frequently fully discharged and recharged ("deep-cycled") like Ni-Cd batteries, but this is necessary after about every 30th recharge to recalibrate any external electronic "fuel gauge" (e.g. State Of Charge meter). This prevents the fuel gauge from showing an incorrect battery charge
    • Li-ion batteries should never be depleted to below their minimum voltage, 2.4v to 3.0v per cell.
    • Li-ion batteries should be kept cool. Ideally they are stored in a refrigerator. Aging will take its toll much faster at high temperatures. The high temperatures found in cars cause lithium-ion batteries to degrade rapidly.
    • Li-ion batteries should not be frozen [36] (most lithium-ion battery electrolytes freeze at approximately ?40 °C; however, this is much colder than the lowest temperature reached by household freezers).
    • Li-ion batteries should be bought only when needed, because the aging process begins as soon as the battery is manufactured.
    • When using a notebook computer running from fixed line power over extended periods, the battery should be removed, and stored in a cool place so that it is not affected by the heat produced by the computer.

9. epicelite
    OP

United States
    No I have only had the R4 about 4 months now.

10. DeMoN

United States
    Quick question Narin (since you know so much about this):

If you didn't charge the DS when you first bought it, i.e, you started playing it right out of the box, will that kill the lifespan?

11. Ferrariman

Canada
    How long have you had the DS?

12. Narin

United States
    Well, it would have a negative effect on the life span, but it wouldn't make a noticeable difference in the beginning. Its best to fully charge the device when you first receive it due to most devices with lithium ion batteries are only charged to 40-60% of the maximum battery capacity by the time you get them. Using/Playing it right away, especially if you play/use the device long enough to use up the current charge in the battery will have adverse effects on the batteries lifespan.

13. DeMoN

United States
    Well shit, I mean, would it kill Nintendo to ship their products fully charged. [​IMG]

14. Ferrariman

Canada
    I'am so stupid...

15. Narin

United States
    As you can see, storing it at 40-60% of the maximum charge actually lowers the rate of degradation from not being used. This way, by the time you get the device, the battery may only have degraded by only 1-2%, if any.

16. epicelite
    OP

United States
    So what, get a new battery?

17. Narin

United States
    If it bothers you that much, then yes, get a new battery. Normally lithium ion batteries have to be replaced every few years. After 2-3 years, the maximum charge is around 40-50% of its original capacity.

18. ben_not_benny

Member ben_not_benny GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I had my DS (phat) since it came out and I barely used it. The only things I played was that Metroid demo and a handful of GBA games until I got a DSTT a few months back.

My battery lasts about 6 hours per charge playing a DS game with no sound.

19. Azrunex

Newcomer Azrunex Member

United States
    I am lol-ing at all of you, i must have got a good battery, because i am STILL getting ~21-22 hours of battery (lowest light setting) and ive owned my lite coming up on two years.

I kind of knew how to take care of my battery from previous experiences (my laptop only gets like 5 mins of life lol)

I keep it downstairs when im not using it, on tile flooring in a corner.
    I start charging it when it starts flickering red (this is about 30% charged when this starts happening, nintendo gave us some warning)
    if i play ds a lot over a few days, i give it a week of "rest"
    I ALWAYS use the lowest light setting, unless its somewhat bright where i'm sitting (like a car) in which case, i'll use level 2
    i have an r4 and two 2gb sandisks.

20. DeMoN

United States
    Lowest light setting barely uses up any energy. We here all play at max brightness or second highest brightness. Playing a DS Lite on lowest settings is the equivalent of turning the backlight off on a DS phat, which means you'd get a very long battery life.