Hacking Is my 3in1 faulty?

ringmancz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I got DS Lite and bought R4i 3DS Gold with the 3in1 (v2) so I can play GBA games. But after playing around with it I found out that GBA games won't load saves. There actually is a savefile of any game I run on my SD card but it doesn't load when I reset the DS or load different GBA game. I suspected it was a dead battery because GBAexploader always asked me to set the Slot 2 card (GBAex is not working on my R4i, don't know why, but I can run it on EZ V I got with the 3in1).

So I successfully changed the battery (did the SRAM test, it was OK with old battery too) but it didn't help. It always starts new game when I launch it. I tried 2 Pokemon games and TMNT. I'm not doing any patching of the ROMs, Wood 1.64 should do that for me if I'm not mistaken.

With the old battery, maybe even now, I didn't try it, I noticed that when I turn off the DS and immediately turn it back on and run the game, the save loads. But when I leave it off for a few seconds, it doesn't.

Is there any fix for this, something I don't know about, or is the card basically useless?

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
If you do have a v2 of the 3in1, the battery is very likely dead by now. Coin cell batteries tend to only last about 5 years at most, it is almost 10 years since that version was made.

You choices are:
A. Solder a new battery to the 3in1.
B. Use the tape method to replace the battery.
C. Buy another 3in1.
D. Do nothing.

For choices A and B, see the Maintainence section, links and information on what to do and get are provided there: http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-tell-which-version-of-the-3in1-you-have.130659/
For choice C, make sure your favorite flashcart website is still around to order from.

ringmancz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
How is using an emulator supposed to help?

And, no. Different kernel won't make it work. I already said that.

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get emulator for your r4 card

Get latest gameboy color/advance emulator here
lameboy doesn't emulate the GameBoy Advance. In any case, lameboy is abandoned, and gameyob is the current-day fork. The only GBA emulators are for the DS2.

@OP Are you putting your saves next to the rom or in GBA_SAVE? The r4i Gold loads them from the rom folder.

ringmancz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
again, emulator is not a solution for me

@OP Are you putting your saves next to the rom or in GBA_SAVE? The r4i Gold loads them from the rom folder.
I'm not doing anything with the saves. But yeah, they are in the same folder as the rom. And it is even loaded when the DS is turned off for about 10 seconds or less. Longer and it acts like there is no save (it's still on the card)

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're not supposed to be turning it off. You select the rom in the menu and it loads immediately.

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That was meant to show that it's useless when I can't continue in a game on the next day.
Day 1: Load the game from the r4i menu.
Day 2: Load the game from the r4i menu.
Day 3: Load the game from the r4i menu.

What's the issue here?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
And start a new game each time I do so? I don't know how to say it. It doesn't load my saves.
I believe going into the R4i menu again will back up the current save, so you can work around this by going back into the menu every time you're done playing a GBA game. Kind of a pain in the ass but it works.

ringmancz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Are you saying the GBA game doesn't load the save on the flashcart, or the flashcart doesn't load the save on the GBA game?
I don't know which one. I think the game acts like there is no save

I believe going into the R4i menu again will back up the current save, so you can work around this by going back into the menu every time you're done playing a GBA game. Kind of a pain in the ass but it works.
How do I do that? The LRABdown doesn't work for me in GBA games. But I don't think that will help anyway. I tried the Backup save at startup option and it was the same.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I don't know which one. I think the game acts like there is no save

How do I do that? The LRABdown doesn't work for me in GBA games. But I don't think that will help anyway. I tried the Backup save at startup option and it was the same.
You'd have to turn the DS off and on quickly before the save has a chance to get wiped then go back into the R4i menu.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night