Is my 360 GPU OFFICIALLY Gone?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by gokuguy, Sep 8, 2011.

Sep 8, 2011
  1. gokuguy
    OP

Member gokuguy GBAtemp Fan

United States
    My Xbox 360 has a serious problem. Its a Video issue. I get no picture anymore.

The process of this happening was;
    One day, my 360 flashed a green screen very quickly, and then it was fine. I saw no other signs of problems for about 2 weeks, and then while playing a game, the video went into a black screen. Within about 30 minutes after this happened, the console progressively got worse and worse to the point where you turn the console on and see a black screen after 2 seconds or so. Currently, it turns on, has a screen for 2 seconds and goes black, but when it gets reset, the black screen then turns into a "snowy" screen.

I know something is up with the GPU, but my question is, is there still a chance it isn't dead yet? Is there a small chance that something like the M$ thermal paste has been overheated and is now blocking the signal going through the prongs to the board or something? Could there be a chance that cleaning and applying new thermal paste will fix this? I need to know A.S.A.P. because if I need to try to fix this thing fast if its possible.

Thanks in Advance.

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    This is what causes most red rings and you will probably get one if you carried on- chances are the actual chip is OK (although the temperature MS runs them at I would not place money on them lasting over 10 years). To this end it is probably the BGA balls that are loose and causing what you see so start looking up RRoD fixes (do not use the towel fix).

Redoing the thermal paste.... if you know what you are doing I would not discourage it but by itself it is unlikely to do anything and if it does do something it more likely because you put pressure on the chip and caused the connections to reform (although that will not hold if you are in this position).

3. T-hug

Chief Editor T-hug Always like this.

pip
    United Kingdom
    I had this same problem back in 08 on my second 360, tried xclamp fix and it didn't work, sent it to M$ and they fixed it, well they sent me a refurb.

4. gokuguy
    OP

Member gokuguy GBAtemp Fan

United States
    This 360 has a mod device on it, so no go with M$. I'm trying to fix the 360 for as cheap as possible.