Homebrew Is modding the 3DS illegal?

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I ask because I'm considering developing 3DS homebrew to turn in for my IB computer science project.

However given that the IB is all about being ethical/responsible and adhering to academic honesty and all that crap, spending hours and hours on a project only to have it go directly against the IB's code of honour is kind of like pissing in the wind

So, has Nintendo or the law explicitly stated anywhere that modding consoles is down right illegal? Or does it only void the warranty?

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Hahah I agree, that's pretty much how I see it as well

but the reason I ask is because it would risk my grade if it is illegal
Ask your instructor.
You've probably already thought of this but are afraid he might say no. That's not a good excuse for not asking since you could get in serious trouble. Its not worth it. Ask.

Reactions: Margen67

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ask your instructor.
You've probably already thought of this but are afraid he might say no. That's not a good excuse for not asking since you could get in serious trouble. Its not worth it. Ask.

That's the issue, I discussed it with him today but he doesn't know and told me to ask around

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I ask because I'm considering developing 3DS homebrew to turn in for my IB computer science project.

However given that the IB is all about being ethical/responsible and adhering to academic honesty and all that crap, spending hours and hours on a project only to have it go directly against the IB's code of honour is kind of like pissing in the wind

So, has Nintendo or the law explicitly stated anywhere that modding consoles is down right illegal? Or does it only void the warranty?

Modding the 3ds voids warranty.

Also, you purchased it, so It's yours, But I believe you cannot mod it, cause it infringes their proprietary software and hardware usage.

minexew

ayy lmao
Trophies
XP
Country
Modding a console is certainly not illegal in itself.

I don't how it is related to your project, though. You don't need to mod your console to load unsigned code.

Wowfunhappy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lucifer666, your location is listed as Shibuya—as in, Shibuya, Japan, correct? You really need to get some insight into Japanese-specific laws, I doubt anyone here will be familiar with them.

Here in the United States, circumventing encryption violates the DMCA except under a few special circumstances (such as jailbreaking cell phones).

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Lucifer666, your location is listed as Shibuya—as in, Shibuya, Japan, correct? You really need to get some insight into Japanese-specific laws, I doubt anyone here will be familiar with them.

It is Shibuya in Antarctica, actually. I suppose you know that city inside the Schwarzwelt.

DrunkenMonk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is not illegal, though Nintendo does not like it, I don't think you have anything to worry about, as long as you're not using their SDK or modifying the system firmware.

(using cubic ninja for homebrew if you're on 7.0 - 9.2 is most definitely perfectly fine)

You could scan over nintendo's terms of use, but the only things I recall that they outline are physical mod chips and modifying the system firmware(?).

In short: No, homebrew is not illegal anywhere, only the methods to allowing the homebrew could be.

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It violates their TOS, but nobody gives a fuck. You paid for it, do what you want with it. Just don't break it and ask for them to repair it.

They usually will anyways (although expect to pay for it, and expect it to be returned with the latest and greatest firmware installed)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: quite a tight bend on that 8pin->12pin adapter in my case, which is the worst case scenario, but...