Is Microsoft cracking down on pirated Vistas?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Harsky, Jun 27, 2007.

Jun 27, 2007
  1. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Today, a family friend said he wanted Windows Vista Ultimate so I got the disk that I downloaded from torrent and used on my laptop. The installation was fine until I ran an activator which worked on my laptop... unfortunately when I checked the status in My Computer on my friend's PC, it still didn't activate it. So what are the chances that Microsoft is now cracking down on older activators?

2. phoood

Member phoood taking it to a whole new level.

United States
    I'd guess higher?

There are some other activation cracks out there, but I myself haven't even tried out Vista. I heard the Vista iso for Dell's don't need to be activated. Their floating somewhere on the interwebs.

3. skullstatue

Banned skullstatue Banned

United States
    No, there's a new hack (cough) that uses the hardware code for ASUS desktops, Vista is going to have a hard time with this one. I can't believe how stable it is though, I thought it would suck but I like it better than Linux (which I had been running for one year straight). So, I would definitely suggest it, but there are a few tricks I had to use (my ethernet card needed a driver from 2002 to run at full speed), but it's still the best version of Windows in my opinion.

(Lol, I actually wrote a three-page article on why people shouldn't switch to Vista after using it on my friends computer. I haven't had a single problem and it's been three days, I can't say the same thing for XP (blue screen of bullshit and random formatting) or Sabayon (Linux is hell if you have an ATI card). BUY BUY BUY [​IMG] )

4. xaxis

Newcomer xaxis Member

Canada
    try using a different activation. also sometimes you just need to restart your computer a couple of times before it says that its genuine. if it still says it not activated check and see if your getting the updates and if its bringing up the message box telling you to activate now. my friends computer stated that is wasnt activated, and yet it was activated.

my number one recomendation is to not use vista because it is a horrible os. and to either stick with xp or use ubuntu linux.

5. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Strange, it can download the updates without any problems (he wants the Vista in chinese language so I'm changing it via updates) still shows the "ACTIVATE WITHIN 30 DAYS" message. I tried a bunch of activators and it gave the same message. I even tried one which messed things up to the point that I had to reformat (didn't matter, his PC was still new so he didn't put much in it)

6. Jdbye

Suspended Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    Never tried the activator, but i tried the timerstop and it worked fine until i updated (which i knew it would, because i knew that a couple of the updates patched it, even before i downloaded them, i had read it on the internet.)

I'd suggest not recommending Vista to people, because from what i've read on the internet, most people have LOTS of problems with it, including me (ATI catalyst display driver kept crashing, firefox was bugged, stepmania didn't work, etc), and those who don't, or only have very few minor problems, are lucky. And even if they don't have problems with it, it's still a memory hog. [​IMG]

I'll switch to Vista when they get a service pack out and my computer gets a RAM/CPU upgrade. Until then, no thanks.
    Oh, and i do have Linux on the same computer i tried Vista on, and it works fine with ATI card and official ATI drivers (not that i use linux a lot, [​IMG] )

7. spas

Member spas GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    If you want to get a legitimate copy of vista for free its simple!

Pick up the phone making sure you have the activation number in front of you call up your countries number and then when the robot comes on asking for you activation number and serial ect just MASH MASH MASH the keypad until it says you are having problems we will tranfer you to a operator then pretend your an idiot and you dont have the internet and you need vista activated and tell them the number. BAM you have a registered copy for freeeee!

The was a lack of full stops in that paragraph so .....................

8. Gayle

Newcomer Gayle Member

United States
    [​IMG]

I will never understand people.

On another note, I don't think microsoft better crack down too hard, as pirates are the only ones using Vista.

9. nileyg

Member nileyg GBAtemp Fan

United States
    [​IMG]
    Edit:I have no idea whether you are being serious or not [​IMG]

10. fischju_original

Banned fischju_original I used to be a jerk before i got banned

United States

Besides everybody who has bought a PC at best buy or circuit city in the last 6 months, or the people who got it for free.....or the people who bought it because they wanted better games, security, and functionality

11. Dragonlord

Member Dragonlord Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue

Switzerland
    [​IMG] ... Long time since I've read something better than that. Those recommanding Vista over Linux because of ATI drivers have a problem ( my game developing machines run nVidia and ATI without a problem and I'm working with the real hard stuff [​IMG] ).

12. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    I do not know why someone would want to install vista at the moment. I got it with my new laptop. Its a good OS but still needs a lot of work. Just stick with XP.

13. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom

14. skullstatue

Banned skullstatue Banned

United States
    It's because I have a strange card (Sapphire X800GTO2 AGP flashed into a ATI X850XT (detected as a PCI) to unlock the extra pipelines), I just really had a bad experience with Linux, I know how to install all of the wonderful apps since I went through about twelve different distros. Sabayon is my favorite, emerge is simply too amazing, but with the newer X11 it became too unstable because of my weird setup. I also want to be able to play UT2007 (and all of those games I purchased), and since no OpenGL support has been announced, it gave me another reason to switch to Windows. I went back to XP for a week before random memory errors started to emerge (lost my old partition to data corruption) and then switched to Vista, I haven't looked back. It's better than XP, for my setup. Sabayon is extremely fun to tinker with, but I need the compatibility and stability.

15. Salamantis

Member Salamantis GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    I *cough*bought*cough* a version of Vista Ultimate, I can say Vista is THE peice of shit. I didn't need activation, cause this copy was Dell Branded, so it thinks I'm running on a Dell, but I'm not, I'm running on a Mac.

16. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    Why didnt you just get and already activated installatio?
    Activation cracks sometimes dont work but you wont get any issues if its cracked at the installer stage. Thats what i did, no timedelay and no other type of crack. I have absolutely no errors or anything to suggest my vista is ultimate. I can use any windows service without warnings.
    just wait untill they release another WGA tool.........

I fell for it in XP but i wont now

17. Dragonlord

Member Dragonlord Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue

Switzerland
    Uhm... Ah... >.=.< . This kind of "cross-flashing" is not my preferred way of upgrading. Linux can indeed get a bit picky if you pull that kind of things off. This is then though not the fault of Linux but of operating hardware outside the intended specifications. Granted you simply "unlocked" something in the card but still I would be careful with this. If it works all is okay but if it fries your card then nobody's going to replace it. Too much of a risk for my taste.

18. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Someone was kind to help me on PM but sadly, after all the effort, I decided to just say "fuck it" and installed a Windows XP which is a chinese edition. Sadly there's no video drivers for XP version so if I go to the start and shut down bit, I'll see the green and red button for the shutdown/restart but nothing on the yellow button.