Is mario oddysey still viable for unpatched switch?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by newborn, Jul 10, 2019.

1. newborn
    OP

newborn Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2014
    Long story short I was talking to someone on reddit who bought one of those bundles directly from Nintendo it came as an unpatched switch that was only a few weeks ago. When I had a look they were out of stock for like a week or two. They have recently came back in stock.. But worried they may have patched units in that bundle now.. No one has ever reported the Mario oddysey bundle ever being patched. However it could be the case now.. So either I just buy the bundle for science purposes and if its patched I could just send it back..

So what are the chances that bundle is patched now?

2. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    It vary on serial number, you might get a border line serial number , possible patched or unpatched so it vary.

3. newborn
    OP

newborn Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2014
    Again no one has got a patched unit via this bundle

4. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
  5. newborn
    OP

newborn Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2014
    Again your misreading what i say. I'm just saying with this bundle it's never been reported as patched

6. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Well you don't look by bundle you look at serial # instead, that is the key.

7. newborn
    OP

newborn Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2014
    I get that. I'm just saying no one has got a patched switch through this bundle that's all I'm saying

8. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 11, 2017
    United States
    they can re release bundles. And some bundles may have been made with patched switchs and non patched switches.
    That is determinable by serial number and booting a payload alone

9. newborn
    OP

newborn Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2014
    I already get that.. Just alot of money.. To gamble for an if.

10. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 11, 2017
    United States
    Well then I'd say the chances largely depend on where you're getting your stock from, how well they cycle out the old stock, and how fast they do so . If you can find a smaller reliable vendor you may have a better chance of getting an older unit and possibly talking to them about what you're looking for (they usually won't mind as long as you're polite/not there at busy times).
    I said I was looking for a certain serial type because of manufacturing inconsistencies and it took them two minutes to find a switch for me (this was at my local retailer)
    If you do so I'd recommend trying to get the lowest serial possible in your given range

Last edited by MythicalData, Jul 10, 2019
  11. newborn
    OP

newborn Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2014

all I know is, someone I was speaking to got a switch from this bundle, 2 weeks ago, and it was unpatched, when I looked last week it was out of stock, I am recently saw it back in stock so, I don't know... that was officially from Nintendo

12. altorn

altorn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 15, 2007
    Canada
    Toronto, Ontario
    if statistically the switch in that bundle hasn't had reports on being patched, get it but expect it to be patched. if it is, just return it.

13. newborn
    OP

newborn Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2014
    guess your right, ill never know unless I buy it, though as you said no one has reported a patched switch.. but they just came back instock, so maybe no one has bought it after the restock to confirm patched or not...

maybe ill get lucky who knows..

14. MyconMama

MyconMama Member

Newcomer
    Dec 20, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for taking the plunge for the good of the community! Definitely only spring for one off a site with a good return policy!

15. newborn
    OP

newborn Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2014
    well, i think ill have to pay the item to return it.

I think the only place that has it, is Nintendo.

Last edited by newborn, Jul 10, 2019
  16. altorn

Jul 15, 2007
    Canada
    Toronto, Ontario
    I saw in Facebook Marketplace a whole bunch of people selling their used switches. I saw a Mario Odyssey bundle in one of the listings but I didn't want one. Anyway, I went to check out a couple of sellers of regular gray Switches and got one for $300 CAD. I checked for their serial# first before paying, and one had a patched unit. That may be an option, but yeah take care and be safe if you decide to go with a "used" option.

Last edited by altorn, Jul 10, 2019
  17. newborn
    OP

newborn Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2014
    I found one on ebay gray unit, and he has showed a picture of it being unpatched.. comes with a case, and console, but no cables or charger.

18. altorn

Jul 15, 2007
    Canada
    Toronto, Ontario
    i see a lot of people on gbatemp who buy used switches through ebay. up to you.

19. achuk

achuk Member

Newcomer
    Oct 3, 2016
    What are you basing this on? Have you done a survey of every customer who purchased an Odyssey bundle?

As everyone says the only real way to tell is via serial. But hell, seen as you said you'll buy one anyway just for science do it and then report back