Hacking Is making Homebrew on the Wii the same on vWii?

Elliander

OP
Trophies
Website
elliander.etherealspheres.com
XP
Country
United States
I bookmarked a few guides to getting into Wii programming, but before I started I wanted to double check and see if there are any special considerations I would need to make before testing such a program in v Wii mode. And also, in case I missed anything, does anyone have any good references for me to look at for learning to program on the Wii at all?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I bookmarked a few guides to getting into Wii programming, but before I started I wanted to double check and see if there are any special considerations I would need to make before testing such a program in v Wii mode. And also, in case I missed anything, does anyone have any good references for me to look at for learning to program on the Wii at all?
http://wiibrew.org is probably your best source for learning to program on Wii and then there's the #wiidev and #wiiudev channels on Efnet. Programming for Wii and vWii are pretty much the same as long as you don't do anything too low level and technical (and even then, it's still mostly the same.)

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
on closed source hardware you get no libraries. And it's almost the same as coding on C without the memory management (if compiler isn't profiled for the target hardware)

Elliander

OP
Trophies
Website
elliander.etherealspheres.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the quick responses! I'm going to be looking into this today as soon as I am done modding my vWii (in the middle of starting the smash stack now) so it really helps having quick answers!

http://wiibrew.org is probably your best source for learning to program on Wii and then there's the #wiidev and #wiiudev channels on Efnet. Programming for Wii and vWii are pretty much the same as long as you don't do anything too low level and technical (and even then, it's still mostly the same.)

That's good to hear. So then what type of program would be unsafe on vWii?

on closed source hardware you get no libraries. And it's almost the same as coding on C without the memory management (if compiler isn't profiled for the target hardware)

That makes quite a bit of sense, but what about the use of Dev Kits? Were any leaked for the Wii/WiiU, or just the occasional hardware leaks? Would they make it any easier, or would that make no real difference since the focus there is entirely on licensed games?

Are there some examples of Wii Homebrew open source code you can refer me to so I can gauge my personal ability? Maybe one beginner, one intermediate, and one advanced? Having an overall idea of what the code looks like would make a huge difference for me.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.