Is making Homebrew on the Wii the same on vWii?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Elliander, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Elliander
    OP

Elliander GBAtemp Fan

Sep 16, 2011
    United States
    Illinois
    I bookmarked a few guides to getting into Wii programming, but before I started I wanted to double check and see if there are any special considerations I would need to make before testing such a program in v Wii mode. And also, in case I missed anything, does anyone have any good references for me to look at for learning to program on the Wii at all?

2. Maxternal

Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Nov 15, 2011
    Deep in GBAtemp addiction
    http://wiibrew.org is probably your best source for learning to program on Wii and then there's the #wiidev and #wiiudev channels on Efnet. Programming for Wii and vWii are pretty much the same as long as you don't do anything too low level and technical (and even then, it's still mostly the same.)

3. Coto

Coto GBAtemp Addict

Jun 4, 2010
    Chile
    on closed source hardware you get no libraries. And it's almost the same as coding on C without the memory management (if compiler isn't profiled for the target hardware)

4. Elliander
    OP

Elliander GBAtemp Fan

Sep 16, 2011
    United States
    Illinois
    Thanks for the quick responses! I'm going to be looking into this today as soon as I am done modding my vWii (in the middle of starting the smash stack now) so it really helps having quick answers!

That's good to hear. So then what type of program would be unsafe on vWii?

That makes quite a bit of sense, but what about the use of Dev Kits? Were any leaked for the Wii/WiiU, or just the occasional hardware leaks? Would they make it any easier, or would that make no real difference since the focus there is entirely on licensed games?

Are there some examples of Wii Homebrew open source code you can refer me to so I can gauge my personal ability? Maybe one beginner, one intermediate, and one advanced? Having an overall idea of what the code looks like would make a huge difference for me.

5. Coto

Coto GBAtemp Addict

Jun 4, 2010
    Chile
    There's devkitpro for Wii/NDS/PSP and others, source code (demos) included (:

Elliander likes this.
  6. Maxternal

Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Nov 15, 2011
    Deep in GBAtemp addiction
    Basically, if you stay away from altering anything on the NAND you should be okay. (and of what's on the NAND, the system menu and the IOS it uses, IOS80, it the most dangerous to play with.)

also, see this thread :
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/basic-dos-and-do-nots-of-vwii-modding.339337/