Is Luma the only CFW atm?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by -G-, Jun 18, 2017.

1. BARNWEY

BARNWEY THE MLG DINOSAUR

Oct 11, 2016
    United States
    Imagination
    Exactly. In fact, @Crystal the Glaceon wrote a thread about this a while ago. The only info that's out of date on her thread is the Corbenik info, as that CFW is dead :(
    Edit: I was a big Corbenik fan, and now I use Luma as it suits my needs and is still an active CFW (I still miss Corbenik though...)

stl25 likes this.

2. -G-
    OP

-G- Member

Newcomer
    Jun 12, 2017
    United States
    Evading the Nintendo Ninjas
    I heard she was leaving too because of the toxicity, sad because i really liked that guide.

3. BARNWEY

BARNWEY THE MLG DINOSAUR

Oct 11, 2016
    United States
    Imagination
    I don't think she's going anywhere... Though if she did, that would suck. This community has become way too toxic recently...

4. SentryCrafter

SentryCrafter Newbie

Newcomer
    May 30, 2017
    Gambia, The
    The main reason why a lot of people switched to Luma was the drama around dev Reinand.
    But I am not
    LUMA IS REINAND

5. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Why do we need a variety of CFW that does the same basic thing? I never understood that. Aside from Corbenik and SaltFW... Everything else is just clutter. It sucks that Luma and B9S go hand in hand.. But what can you do? Build your own CFW...

6. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    They got beat, plain and simple. Luma is just the superior CFW than the rest and ultimately "won." If you want to use a lesser CFW no longer supported that can't be used with B9S, then you're free to do so, but I can't fathom a good reason as to why that would be a good idea.

7. -G-
    OP

-G- Member

Newcomer
    Jun 12, 2017
    United States
    That's like saying vanilla is chocolate. (im hungry)

Joel16 and Snintendog like this.
  8. stl25

stl25 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 3, 2008
    United States
    Here, there and everywhere
    Yeah I miss Corbenik as well. It was also a basic CFW with AGB/TWL patching that served as a great alternative to ReiNand for me. Now Luma3DS is working excellent for me as I wait for ReiNAND AGB/TWL patching.

9. SentryCrafter

SentryCrafter Newbie

Newcomer
    May 30, 2017
    Gambia, The
    No really
    first Luma was fork of ReiNand called AuReiNand but then because of shit the ReiNand dev did it got renamed to Luma

Quantumcat, littleman and duffmmann like this.
  10. duffmmann

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    Oh yeah, I almost forgot that Luma was originally AuReiNand.

Memoir likes this.
  11. -G-
    OP

-G- Member

Newcomer
    Jun 12, 2017
    United States
    I know but they both have different goals: ReiNAND is minimalistic and Luma is more universal and feature rich.

12. littleman

littleman Banned

Banned
    Jun 11, 2017
    United States
    Good for you. Luma (mostly) supports new firmwares automatically.
    I'm just stating facts.
    What I fail to understand is why would anyone maintain ReiNAND?
    Why does anyone still use it? Luma is better in every way.
    Why not maintain something useful like Corbeniks instead?

What's the point of supporting old *hax in CFW if Rosalina lets you launch it directly from an app?
    hbmenu 2.0 still supports launching payloads on stock firmwares if that's what you mean.

>Of course a9lh is not supported anymore so I'm forced to update sooner or later.
    This is exactly why support for outdated entrypoints was dropped. So people would stop using them.
    Entrypoints like MSET, menuhax, other*hax, etc left the sysNAND potentially vulnerable to updating.
    Not to mention they're inferior anyway. Why wouldn't you update to B9S? It takes almost no time at all, and is better in every way.

EmuNAND is actually useful for development so support for it won't be dropped.
    If you were an experienced developer you would know it's harder to maintain support for multiple entrypoints instead of just one.
    Like you said yourself it's open source. If you want to add support for unsafe entrypoints then go for it.

Sure, if by different you mean have less features.

Why would you want something with less features?
    Okay. Then press start at the config screen and you're done.
    Luma already has that.

13. BARNWEY

BARNWEY THE MLG DINOSAUR

Oct 11, 2016
    United States
    Imagination
    A lot of us know that dude, but Luma has had a long time away from ReiNAND and has become it's own CFW. The code for Luma is very different now... Just because it started off as a fork, doesn't mean it's still the same CFW. With that logic, Counter-Strike 1.6 IS Half-Life...

Joel16, Quantumcat and -G- like this.
  14. stl25

stl25 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 3, 2008
    United States
    Here, there and everywhere
    I guess in terms of userbase maybe they got beat. Just because a CFW has the most features doesn't make it superior. If by using a lesser CFW you mean less features, there are those among us that prefer that. As cars become more computerized with multiple sensors and safety features, repairs become more expensive as there are more things that can go wrong. I liken this as to why it MAY be a "good reason' for someone to use a "lesser" CFW as development (bug fixing) would be easier to perform.

Last edited by stl25, Jun 19, 2017
  15. littleman

littleman Banned

Banned
    Jun 11, 2017
    United States
    Just because a CFW has less features doesn't make it superior.

16. BARNWEY

BARNWEY THE MLG DINOSAUR

Oct 11, 2016
    United States
    Imagination
    Because there's an audience that likes minimalistic CFWs, where they don't have to think about it...

Joel16, stl25 and -G- like this.
  17. -G-
    OP

-G- Member

Newcomer
    Jun 12, 2017
    United States
    He isnt saying reinand is superior.

18. BARNWEY

BARNWEY THE MLG DINOSAUR

Oct 11, 2016
    United States
    Imagination
    Did he say that having less features makes it superior? No. All CFWs are on an equal playing field, as they all do the same thing. It's up to the user to decide which one they like...
    P.S. You're acting like a fanboy...

-G- likes this.
  19. duffmmann

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    VHS beat Betamax, doesn't mean that Betamax wasn't the superior medium though (it was). It just comes down to where the majority of the user base ran to, and as such the developers of the CFWs started to quit when they saw much less of a demand for what they had. By lesser CFW, I mean CFWs that are no longer supported and can't be used with B9S.

-G- likes this.
  20. -G-
    OP

-G- Member

Newcomer
    Jun 12, 2017
    United States
    So much this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

So i guess im one of 2 people that still use betamax lol

stl25 and BARNWEY like this.