Is it worth watching dragon ball GT?

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by funnystory, Sep 18, 2015.

1. funnystory
    OP

funnystory Banned

Banned
    Sep 20, 2008
    United States
    I just finished rewatching DBZ and was wondering if watching GT was worth it. I am open to hearing all opinions.

2. Saiyan Prince

Saiyan Prince GBAtemp Regular

Nov 15, 2014
    United States
    Gt has Fights and all
    But it's Plot and Story Totally Sucks

You better go watch Dragon ball super

3. Youkai

Youkai Demon

Jul 1, 2004
    Germany
    Germany , NRW
    Which is better ... why ?

I think GT has some very nice parts !
    even though I have to admint sometimes it is just different from Dragonball Z ... still not bad ...

For me the 9 or 10 episodes of Super are actually very bad ... not interesting at all and I somehow have the feeling I have seen the exact same thing years ago in a Movie maybe ?

4. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    Didn't the creator of Dragon Ball say GT is non-canon now that he's taken over again? So it's essentially high budget fanfiction. I'm not really a DBZ guy myself, though I did enjoy Dragon Ball and the parody series: Dragon Ball Z Abridged. Battle of the Gods reminded me a lot of the original Dragon Ball, so I might have to check out Super and the newest movie.

5. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    No! But Pan is so cute... I mean no! Remember that sidekick robot abomination!

BlackWizzard17 likes this.
  6. funnystory
    OP

funnystory Banned

Banned
    Sep 20, 2008
    United States
    Dragon ball super isnt done I meant lol

Last edited by funnystory, Sep 18, 2015
  7. BlackWizzard17

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    You mean 'Giru Giru' XD
    Theres like 10 episodes already where have you been buddy.

8. funnystory
    OP

funnystory Banned

Banned
    Sep 20, 2008
    United States
    I was drowsy lol I meant to say that the series isn't finished.I like binge watching and I would get pissed after finishing the episodes. On a side note is db super after dbz or after GT?

9. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    I'll probably check it out when it gets an English dub.

10. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    It's not as bad as people make it out to be, but not as good as it should have been. It's worth watching - depending on how forgiving you are, you might enjoy it! It's generally entertaining, but feels a bit lacking in ideas, lacking of focus and some awful character designs.

The first 'arc' is intentionally designed to be more like the original Dragon Ball rather than Dragon Ball Z due to the feeling that the DBZ formula of ever-more-powerful enemies had reached exhaustion. Thus, they have more of an 'adventure' feel'. Unfortunately this was not well recieved so they reverted to the DBZ-style formula after around 20 episodes. This served to confirm their thoughts that the formula had reached exhaustion - it does feel like that.

The new Dragon Ball Super is much, much worse, though. Literally nothing has happened so far.

11. funnystory
    OP

funnystory Banned

Banned
    Sep 20, 2008
    United States
    Theres no english dub? Fuck thats gay as hell.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

What about battle of the gods and resurrection F? Why do you say super is not good?

12. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    In the db super universe GT never happened and is set to never happen, so it comes after dbz.

13. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    Because it just feels like 'slice of life' Dragon Ball Z, full of characters acting out of character and very little actually happening. Justlike the aforementioned movies, in fact.

14. funnystory
    OP

funnystory Banned

Banned
    Sep 20, 2008
    United States
    I don't mind battle of gods although I havent finished it yet. There is swearing in the movies and it makes me wonder If i missed out on some secret dub for the original DBZ. I watched the Spanish version of DBZ back in the 90s when I was like 4,saw the Tonami DBZ when i was like 7,and just rewatched Kai up to Buu saga and then I watched a remastered version of DBZ online. I don't know if I want to spend the time to watch 170 episodes of DB GT.

15. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    The lack of swearing in the English version was a decision by Funimation themselves. Japanese doesn't really have swearing in the same sense as English, just rather rude ways of referring to people. Still, the English version isn't quite as strong.

I watched both films in the cinema here in Japan and it was full of kids both times. The language isn't particularly strong.

16. porkiewpyne

porkiewpyne Report-er

Global Moderator
    Jun 8, 2008
    Australia
    I personally didn't hate GT. Granted, it wasn't a masterpiece but I'd say it was nowhere near as bad as some people made it out to be.

Super has been pretty meh so far. I suggest you watch BoG and ResF for the main story and the episodes of Super which weren't covered by the aforementioned movies.

17. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    Yup dragon ball super is amazing

That wasnt fanart btw, it was all in an actual episode

To put it simply, db super is terrible, the animation is horrible, repeating the same exact story as battle of the gods, and characters acting out of character just for the sake of comic relief. It manages to be somehow worse than gt.

Last edited by Joe88, Sep 19, 2015
  18. AsPika2219

AsPika2219 Pikachu going beach!

Jun 17, 2010
    Malaysia
    Cats City
    I already finishing watching DBGT just few years ago! :P

19. funnystory
    OP

funnystory Banned

Banned
    Sep 20, 2008
    United States
    So it probably wont make an english dub?

20. Ericzander

Ericzander I used hax to get yellow name

pip Reporter
    Feb 28, 2014
    United States
    Grand Line
    Dragon Ball GT takes a while to get good, but it does get good once they make it back to Earth.