Is it worth to stay with Windows 10 or downgrade to 7?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Saiyan Lusitano, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    Currently I'm on 10 and while it works properly it has some issues such as, if I make a new local account I'm unable to use it because.. I don't know (All I ever did was enable/disable some notifications and change the login screen's wallpaper). And secondly, if something odd happens to the computer I might get hit with Firefox bricking (i.e, unable to open at all).

So despite these two issues I'd say that I do like the OS and the computer runs better with 10 than 7 but if these problems arise again it'd be really unpleasant, plus I'd have wasted my time upgrading/making a fresh install for nothing.

For information about my computer (well, technically a notebook)

Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N2740 @ 2.16GHz
    RAM: 2.00 GB
    Type of System: 32bit Operating System (Based on x64)

P.S.: I have a bunch of Steam online games I wanted to play but because of this I can't because if I do I'll most definitely get Firefox bricked like it has already happened yesterday whilst playing Wild Warfare.

P.P.S Could I use the "legit" key I have of Windows 10 or if I were to reinstall Windows 10 would I have to first go through 7 again?

2. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Stay with Windows 10 it will run much faster than 7 on your low spec notebook.

3. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    But what about the two probs I mentioned?

4. jDSX

jDSX *pokes*

Jun 15, 2015
    United States
    Happy furry land with Lucar
    I'd suggest dual booting with another OS like Ubuntu or Linux along with 10. 7 is no good with only 2gb of ram.

5. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    You should stay on WIndows 10 if possible. If you upgraded already from Windows 7 to Windows 10, then you are free to do a fresh install of Windows 10 to that computer in the future, and it will be activated.
    • With regard to Problem #1, I'm sure there's an easy fix. It's definitely not an issue inherent to Windows 10 that I'm aware of. Keep doing research on the topic.
    • With regard to Problem #2, have you attempted to clear Firefox's cache and restore the default settings? Have attempted to reinstall the program? Are you using the latest version of Firefox? Have you tried Google Chrome? Again, this doesn't appear to be a problem inherent to Windows 10 that I'm aware of.

6. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    So I've decided that I'm going to backup all that I need and then re-install Windows 10 from scratch so that these two problems fade away to never come back. Still, @Lacius and @Xenon Hacks if I reused my "legit" key on the new fresh installation of 10 would it work without running into any kind of roadblocks? Or would I in this case need to first install 7 > 7 SP1 and then Windows 10?

7. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    it should auto activate for you anyways

8. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    Would it be better if I'd install x64 version this time around?

9. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    I would install the 64 bit version just because, but I have heard that 32 bit uses less RAM... And by that I don't mean that it can access less RAM I mean that 32 bit programs tend to use slightly less RAM doing the equivalent things a 64 bit program does. I myself have never noticed a difference but I guess it could depend on the programs you use.

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  10. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    Yeah, I don't either but will give it a shot just to see if it's any different.

11. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Your HWID is saved on Microsoft's activation servers now. Your computer will activate with those servers no matter how/when you install Windows 10.

12. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    Alrighty. Thanks.

13. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    I've finished installing all the essential apps and won't be tweaking anything this time around just to be safe from some odd hiccup. Will be playing Wild Warfare today! :)

14. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    I believe people should use whichever OS they're most comfortable with (as long as it's secure), and for some people, that might be Windows 7. However, on what planet does Windows 7 have more features than Windows 10?

Garro and Xenon Hacks like this.
  15. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Or run faster for that matter?

Lacius likes this.
  16. TVL

TVL #|

Feb 17, 2004
    World -1
    I didn't notice any difference in speed. 7 & 8 booted a bit faster though.

And I might be crazy but I liked the start screen from 8 (not metro, but going to apps).

17. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    The Windows Experience Index was meaningless, and the Mixer is still present. The number of things removed in Windows 10 (which cannot be defined by any reasonable measure as "many many things") pales in comparison to the added features.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_8
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_10

Xenon Hacks likes this.
  18. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
  19. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    Strangely enough the computer still turned itself off but Firefox works perfectly (:)) so I'm guessing I was playing a game that's too much for it to handle. Meh, no biggie.

20. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    Actually, they should use whichever OS as long as they are happy. If it ain't broken then don't fix it. :) That's simple.

VinsCool likes this.