Is it worth to purchase a PSP at this moment?

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by MaxNuker, Jun 26, 2011.

Jun 26, 2011
  1. MaxNuker
    OP

Member MaxNuker GBATemp's Official Shinigami Substitute

Portugal
    So everyone knows the 3DS is more powerful then the PSP (atleast they say it is) and the PSVita is about to release in some months...

In August is my birthday, and i should get enough money to get a PSP... should i get one at this point in time?

I Love Nintendo and the 3DS but i think my mother will gift it to my brother in his birthday... so its my opportunity to get the PSP...

So, Should i get one at this point in time or not?

2. linuxGuru

Member linuxGuru GBAtemp Regular

United States
    In my opinion if you are planning on hacking it, and you're into emulators and homebrew it would probably be worth it.

3. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    The PSP is easy to hack, has fantastic mobile emulators, and has a fairly good library of games of its own. If you plan on hacking it, I would highly suggest one. Plus, you can get them fairly cheap now.

4. pistone

Member pistone GBAtemp Advanced Fan

in your heart...coz secretly you love me !!!!
    Albania
    if its 50$ no save the many for 3ds

5. nl255

Member nl255 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

If you are willing to hack it, now is the time as all firmware versions (6.39 or lower, and 6.39 is the latest) are hackable now. The PSP Go is $100 USD used at Gamestop and comes with 16GB internal memory. The only catch is that the new UMD Video ISO mounting in Pro-B7 does not work on the Go.

6. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    It may be prudent to wait until the PSV is released, old systems usually plummet in price when a successor is released. Of course, they also become harder to find (already happening with PSP in "bricks and mortar" stores, hard to find anywhere except online in the UK anyway).

7. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    If it's cheap, go for it. The PSP has some really awesome games in its library, and on top of that it has pretty good emulation as well. It's definitely worth a buy.

8. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    If you never had a PSP before, and you plan to hack it ( it's now easier then ever ) then I would hearty recommend it to you.
    I just got one a few months ago, and there is a huge back catalog of games that I always wanted to play ( I kind of envied PSP owners at the time because I only had a DS ) , and getting them up and running on a custom firmware is like a breeze.
    Of course the 3DS is more powerful, and the PSV even more so, but you'll have to wait for the games to be released, while with a PSP now, there is a huge choice.
    Besides, now that I played just about everything on the DS, getting a PSP for me was like going one step higher in the generation ( the graphics on the PSP look next gen for me , used to the DS ! ) without actually having the spend the money for a next gen system.

9. kazekun

Member kazekun GBAtemp Regular

Portugal
    Nuker [​IMG], being as i know as what you want psp for, go for it, psp = easy to hack, and psp vita, will most likely be a pain to hack, for a long time, just look at the psp first hacks.

10. riyaz

Member riyaz Black Ace/Red Joker

Netherlands
    psp is cheaper than the 3ds and has nice games like kingdom hearts birth by sleep ^^ and is easy to hack ^^

11. DeadLocked

Member DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

United Kingdom
    Grab a psp to keep you busy until PSV.
    $50 is nothing considering it's for a games console that can be hacked to run every game on there for free, plus emulators up to GBA (sometimes n64) and homebrew.
    Good for anime too.

12. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    QFT, this exactly. I use it too watch movies all the time, together with emulators like gPSP to play some Kirby or Fire Emblem. I've also had a lot of fun with PSX games. It's simply amazing, and it was a real steal at 70 euros for the PSP and a 8GB memory stick.

13. dickfour

Banned dickfour Banned

United States
    There's a lot of great games for the PSP don;t forget you can play PSX games also. I haven't touched my ds in months. I'm not feeling the love on the 3DS. It need to come down in price and it need a decent library of games before I'll bite.

14. FlashX007

Newcomer FlashX007 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I must say the PSP is awesome and has a lot of good games but honestly I would trade it right now for a 3DS if I had the chance. Not because I hate it or dislike it but because we are talking about the 3DS here. Save up your money and get a 3DS.

15. MaxNuker
    OP

Portugal
    Now I am on a even bigger problem.... so, i started playing guitar... i go to a school music, and there i use this amplifier...:

I Love the effects it can give, and the sound it produces... and i may need a new Amp in some time...

The problem: It Costs around 150€... and the PSP is like 129€... i don't know what to choose... gotta see how much money i can get on my birthday?

16. Schlupi

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

United States
    The PSP is really a hit or miss with people.

I personally think that in its lifespan is has had MANY excellent games; like Monster Hunter series, Patapon series, Persona series, the list can get quite big...

but I think for people who have it hacked it makes the biggest selling points -- YOU CAN EMULATE JUST ABOUT EVERY CONSOLE UP TO 2 gens ago on it! From NES,SNES,GB,GBA, PS1, and more, you can have literally hundreds of thousands of games on your PSP... classics and new games combined. I LOVE my PSP, and I have been through several since the original 1000 I had with its 1.50 POC FW... and it has come a long way.

I would HIGHLY recommend a PSP, actually. If you like RPGs, it's got TONS. The ONLY thing it really lacks if GOOD shooting games, but it's not that big of a deal really. If youhave EVER considered getting a Dingoo, Gemini, etc. emulation system DO NOT, just get a PSP instead. [​IMG]

Also, Gos are a GREAT choice (they are all hackable) since they are the same price as a 3000 (or cheaper!) and have 16 GB built in memory and better battery life. If you don't get a Go, I would shoot for a 2000 (fully hackable motherboard) because it has the most features (new PSPs can use Popsloader, but 2000s with Full CFW can use ALL Pops revisions for the BEST PSX game compatibility).

17. Lights

Newcomer Lights Advanced Member

United States
    I would have to say wait and get the Playstation Vita, since your brother is getting a 3DS you'll be able to play that also and since a new PSP is coming out they'll try and make more games for that instead. You should just get the Wi-fi version Playstation Vita if you are going to get it, instead of the 3G one. Good luck on choosing!

18. MaxNuker
    OP

Portugal
    I Really don't know... if i should wait and just buy a new Amp now... and later get money for the Vita... if Vita gets hacked, will it be able to play PSP games?

19. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Well, all we know that it will be backwards compatible with PSP titles, as well as PSP minis and PSone games. All those games can be downloaded from the PlayStation Store. The PSV does NOT have a UMD drive, so if you buy a PSP game now in physical form, you're screwed with the Vita.

If When the Vita is hacked, I can definitely see it happening that we'll be able to pirate all those titles and play them like that on the Vita.

20. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    I personally feel like now is the better time to invest in PSP than either 3DS or Vita. The Vita, of course, hasn't even released, and the 3DS library is so sparse. The PSP library is now so full of great content, and as others have pointed out, it's pretty easy to take advantage of that content. To be clear, I already own a 3DS, and thanks to OoT 3DS, I've gotten a lot of use out of the system as of late. But I still feel there's a lot right now to love about PSP.