Is it worth paying extra for an SD card with a higher transfer rate?

toolazytosearchitmyself

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm trying to decide between the Sandisk Ultra, Sandisk Extreme and Sandisk Extreme Pro. I'll use the SD card for playing on the Switch and put it in my computer time to time to copy NSP and XCI files.

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends on what you're doing.

If you're just playing games and don't mind the "slow" speeds, don't bother getting one. I say slow in quotation marks because SD cards are already really fast and you won't notice much difference between the two.

The higher rated ones are more for professional work, like cameras recording (not just taking pictures, but videos) in 4K when constant high write speeds are needed.

Most consumer grade cards have low write speed, but great read speed. This is what most people will buy since it's cheaper and most will not need the constant high write speed professional cards have.

Obviously every manufacturer and SD card will be different, so your mileage may vary. All SD cards are not made the same. They're made within a margin of error.

tl;dr If you like throwing money down the drain for minuscule E X T R A performance, buy the professional grade SD card. It won't hurt anything but your wallet.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

toolazytosearchitmyself

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If I remember correctly, Nintendolife tested different SD cards in the Switch and the performance difference was negligible. The performance difference might be noticable copying large files from a PC to micro SD card. I've been using a Switch Lite for so long I forgot that you can install from USB on a docked Switch.

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If I remember correctly, Nintendolife tested different SD cards in the Switch and the performance difference was negligible. The performance difference might be noticable copying large files from a PC to micro SD card. I've been using a Switch Lite for so long I forgot that you can install from USB on a docked Switch.
The specs of your card reader determine how well it will work on the PC. It's not really worth paying the premium for theoretical speeds as when during practical use you will almost never see it work at the rated speed unless you have a higher end card reader.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other...